1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

On an island with only one artist's discs

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Harbourboy, Dec 15, 2004.

1. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

[​IMG] On the same lines as the last thread about the 13 discs....if you had to be stuck on an island but could only take discs from one artist, who would it be? I'll let you use your own judgement as to what qualifies as 'one artist' as I'm sure that definition will come under some pressure somewhere along the line.

If I had to define it very strictly, I would choose The Beatles as there is enough material there to cover most of my moods. If I were to cheat on the definition, I would take Paul McCartney because then I could have The Beatles as well as all his solo / Wings material.

2. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    just one? Tricky.....

If I were stranded (if only) I'd probably want some music I could chill out to, and watch the sun go down. At the same time, it'd be nice to have something a little up-beat too. On those criteria it would have to be Pink Floyd for me.

3. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Yeah, the question is supposed to be tricky - otherwise it wouldn't be very interesting to answer.

4. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    Well... it's mostly tricky as you have to think of a band with more than 1 or 2 cds.. Else could get mighty boring. :lol:

[ December 15, 2004, 23:14: Message edited by: Takara ]

5. Laertis Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I believe i will cheat and stick with Dan Swanö work. The guy has a lot of side-projects that range from a very poppish prog-rock to the most extreme metal.
    But if you want the real answer i think i would choose Pink Floyd too. They have a very solid discography so i think i would never be bored. (I've thought about my all-time favorite band Iron Maiden, but many of their albums are kind of similiar (blasphemy!!! :D )).

6. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

I would pick Opeth. Head and shoulders above any other band in terms of versatility and variation.

Dan Swano comes very close though!

7. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Hmmm... David Bowie, methinks. Would cover all of my moods v. nicely and not drive me up the palm tree with loneliness like, say, Enrique would :D

8. Warrior of the World

Warrior of the World Questing through space

I would pick Bal-Sagoth, though hopefully I would be stranded after the launch of their next album.

9. Harbourboy

Unsurprisingly, I have never heard of Del Swano, Opeth, Bal-Sagoth.

Arabwel, do you still like Enrique now that he is married?

10. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Maybe Bach or Beethoven. There's enough music there to play for a LONG time without repetition.

11. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

*cries*

I'll have to say Nightwish, because, well, they have a lot of albums and are easier to casually listen to over and over again as compared to the other bands on my list.

12. Tassadar Gems: 23/31

Veteran

Bal-Sagoth crack me up! Mainly the length and grandiosity of all their song titles! They're taking power metal to new extremes. :)

13. Warrior of the World

Warrior of the World Questing through space

Actually, the song titles seem to have peaked on their second album, and with the exception of one song on their third album (The Dark Liege of Chaos is Unleashed at the Ensorcelled Shrine of Azura-Kai: The Splendour of a Thousand Swords Gleaming Beneath the Blazon of the Hyperborean Empire (Part II)), most are now pretty short. They are not really power metal either, what with the blast beats, black metal vocals, and lack of guitar solos. To be fair, though, no-one seems to have been able to asign them a genre. They just transcend all that is mortal, I suppose. Blodu ok Jarna!

14. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

I will go for Popa Chubby (don't worry if you never heard of him, he isn't that well known). I listen to mostly blues and rock, and he plays both. Besides that, he throws in things from soul, bluegrass, hiphop and other music styles on occasion, so I will have plenty of variation from just one artist.

15. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

Either the Beetles or U2. Possibly REM.

16. Xei Win Toh Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

If you can pick an artist's projects, Marco Hietala without a single doubt (Tarot, a Sinergy album, Nightwish, other side projects).

Otherwise, I'd have to go for Stratovarius on merit of their 11 albums + various compilations and live CDs, many diverse songs, having had two different vocalists, and so on.

17. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I would've said July for Kings, but that thing about the artist having lotsa albums made me change my mind and go with U2 ;)

18. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31

Zappa for sure, he has like a million albums. I would never get bored.

19. Hugo Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

If it were a person, it would be Arjen Anthony Lucassen, the man behind Ayreon, Ambeon, and Star One... All of it very very cool music plus I haven't heard all of it yet.
    If it has to be a single band, I'd be in doubt between Iron Maiden and Nightwish, both are nice, Nigthwish being rather new to me, not sure if I really like it, but I've heard most of Iron Maiden by now, so that migth get boring over time; then again, they produced loads upon loads of music.
    Also, I'd *really* like to take a CD player, methinks :p
    :borg:

20. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Bob Marley

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.