1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Olympic Torch on Mount Everest?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Feb 9, 2006.

1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    According to a recent Chinese news report, the track of the Olympic torch for the 2008 Summer Games (in Bejing) will include the summit of Mount Everest. Now, I'm not a mountain climber, but from everything I've been told, it's extremely dangerous to climb Mount Everest, and many people, even in modern times have died in the attempt. How in the heck are you going to get to the top in full mountain gear while carrying a torch? I mean isn't there a great danger of lighting yourself on fire with the torch? Plus, I hear winds on the top of Everest are routinely over 100 mph - how are you even going to keep the torch lit?

I found the link and edited my last post, but I decided it made more sense to include the link here as well.

[ February 09, 2006, 21:34: Message edited by: Aldeth the Foppish Idiot ]

2. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    That strikes me as a really, really bad idea.

Maybe for the 2010 games they can carry the torch through Baghdad. That might be safer.

3. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Maybe they will use a helicopter. I also heard that the current torch is really heavy and it's pretty hard to even run with it properly (given that you have to hold it quite far out in front of you to avoid burning your face)

4. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    I don't believe there are any choppers capable of reaching the top of Everest, though I may be mistaken.

5. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    No, you can't get a helicopter to the top of Mount Everest - the air is too thin to maintain lift. That's one of the reasons many people have died there - they are so tired they can't go on and can't go back down, and there's no way to rescue them using a helicopter. I just can't believe this would even be attempted. I also get a kick out of the Chinese saying, "This is the first time anyone has attempted to take the Olympic torch to the top of Mt. Everest." Really? No kidding? I thought we did this all the time.

Here's the link:

Torch to Mt. Everest

6. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    A few (dozen) (thousand) deaths for the glory of the nation was never a problem worth mentioning in China. The only problem in this case might be with retrieving the torch from the dead by the ones that come after them. Or if they fall off a cliff or have a similar accident that would prevent the ones after them from retrieving the torch.

I'm joking, but you get the point.

7. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

You think chinese care to use their own to do this? heck, they did not invade tibet for nothing. (although i don't agree on the part that china did invaded tibet)

8. Abomination Gems: 26/31

Not only that but the torch will be carried by none other than Sir Edmund Hillary, the first man to climb Mt. Everest. He only achieved this in 1953 and was 33 at the time so it's believed he could easily do it again. The only problem they seem to be facing is finding a way to carry his walking stick, pick axes (2, one in each hand) and the torch at the same time.

9. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    @Abomination: I think sir Edmund Hillary, born in 1919, is more of a candidate for the Central Committee of the Chinese Communist Party, though he may be a bit young even for a junior post. :D

10. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Hey! Sir Edmund Hilary is a complete legend. If anyone wants to take his name a vain, they can come and deal with me first. :borg: :tie:

11. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    Maybe they could put a lightbulb in it instead of having it actually lit

12. Abomination Gems: 26/31

But then how will they use that to light the flame at the stadium? Smash it on the ground?

13. Shell

Media:
    Hmm, they could just put the lightbulb on it to go up Mount Everest, and then change it again at the bottom

14. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    They should just jack it because no-one likes the Olympics anyway :lol: . Booooring!

15. Shell

Media:
    Finally! Someone who thinks the same as I do! :lol:

16. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Ah, Sir Edmund Hillary, the World's Most Famous Kiwi. (narrowly edging out Frodo)

Actually, it's probably not such a big deal at this point. The main route to the summit is practically paved at this point, so many people have gone up. Not that it would be easy, but I'm sure they'll send experienced climbers, and think of all the film crews that have gone up already...

17. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    No doubt the person carrying it up will be in full survival gear, with oxygen, and about 100 support personnel. My big question is what happens if Mt. Everest has one of its month+ long 'storms' when the run is supposed to happen? Do they postpone all the games for weeks or even a month or more, just waiting for the winds to die down? How much fuel does that stinkin' torch carry, anyway?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.