1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

NWN Review at Invisible Dream

Discussion in 'Game/SP News & Comments' started by NewsPro, Sep 19, 2002.

1. NewsPro Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

(Originally posted by Mollusken)

Neverwinter Nights gets a score of 95% at Invisible Dream.

So, I think we've basically covered a good aspect of Neverwinter Nights. The game has an awesome, epic story, plenty of action, and lots of RPG elements that will probably set the standard for future RPGs of this type. With a boundless multiplayer world, there is no doubt that Neverwinter Nights will have an immortal game life. However, this is only half of what Neverwinter Nights has to offer… enter the Neverwinter Nights Aurora Toolset. Now I'll be up front and honest by saying that I did not play around with these tools for very long. I think the game itself required my immediate attention although I did spend a few hours tinkering with the tools and seeing what kind of crappy creation I could conjure.

Read everything here.

2. NewsPro Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

(Originally posted by Crawl)

Lord, help us all. Not a good review. This guy musta taken his Bioware shot today, as he was just way to overflowingly glowing about aspects of the game that were ovbiously just subpar, though again, he doesn't seem to have much to reference them too as he's self admitedly a Diablo fan, not an rpg fan. I guess NWN's story might be "awsome and epic" and "set standards for future rpgs" if you've only played action games before. *shrugs* Maybe it's just me, but I don't think people should write public reviews unless they're going to get in depth with the game and give it's good and bad points.

BTW, for anyone reading this review and considering purchasing the game, don't do so to play the supposed epic, awsome SP campaign alone. Even some of the game's biggest defenders call it just an *example* of what you can do with the toolset, as it supposedly wan't mean to be a great game on it's own. I myself think it's ok in small doses, but it does leave many things to be desired. If it came from anyone but Bioware, I'd say it was ok maybe. But from their company, it's a big disapointment.

However, the toolset is a wonderful tool for world builders, and the more I use it, the more impressed with it I become. I am confident there will be more quality content to come from gamers and Bio itself because of the Auora tools.

As far as online gaming goes, well, it uses gamspy officially, which is a bad thing in and of itself. It's hard to find a good multiplayer roleplaying experience by just jumping on gamespy. Neverwinter Connections is a better choice, or finding some friends to play with online or a stable persistant world project is even a better idea. I can be fun in multiplayer mode, but it's not just a matter of logging on and finding like minded people to enjoy a game with, unless you're an evil little PKer.

Well, there's my non glowing review of the game. The gamplay mechanics, character and lighting graphics, and the toolset score high. The actual gameplay in the official campaign, the story of said campaign, and multiplayer and gamespy score below average. If you're just looking for a single player game to play offline and are not interested in downloading user made material, it's not the game for you. If you think you might want to play user made games, then I'd wait a while. No rush as of yet. And if you think you might want to invest some real time and make a great custom game, or even world, then I'll vote this is the game for you.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.