1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

NWN or ToEE?

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Glaxicus, Oct 14, 2003.

1. Glaxicus Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Im wondering witch one o should play first, Toee or nwn... Witch one is considered the best?

[ October 14, 2003, 19:36: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Sephiroth Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Well, if you will play both games, I would say you should first start with NWN, because Toee has got a few bugs, wich can ruin your whole game !

3. dshadow Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Better yet, save yourself the hassle of two games that aren't worth it and play BG2 instead. Even if you've already played it half a dozen times you'll still have a better time with it than NWN or TOEE.

4. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Simple choice...

If you are on broadband go for multiplayer NwN. Offical campaign is not worth playing imo.

If not: ToEE

:thumb:

5. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Gothmog beat me to it, so:

Ditto.

6. Kovalis Darkfire Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Get Neverwinter Nights. I think it is more fun and rewarding.

7. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

[​IMG] Both.

NWN is a good, but not great game.

TOEE is a great game.

If you have the $$, you should not miss out on either one.

8. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

Morrowind or KotOR when it comes out. :)

ToEE seems too buggy.
    And NWN is just crap.

From those two, my opinion is the same as gothmog4230's.

9. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

If you have broadband, you also need to have time and inclination to go through the trouble of getting to know the right people, wasting your time when it doesn't suit you, and go through extra trouble you wouldn't care, in order to get into a good multiplayer group. The normal public games just plain sucks. Useless non-rpg:ish hack'n'slash with cheater characters and cheated equipment. No thank you.

I'd wager Greyhawk is at least a pure game, and quite good as such. If only they got rid of the bugs.

My personal opinion is that do *not* get NWN. The game has potential but too much control is put on the player's hands. And they are as incompetent as they have always been. Personally I will not waste a hundred hours creating relationships in a game just so I can play the few hours a week in a quality environment on a quality server. The Greyhawk option is independent of this. If the bugs get fixed, get it. If not, then dump it as well.

10. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] Forgive my ignorance, but what are you talking about Foradasthar when you say, "The game has potential but too much control is put on the player's hands. And they are as incompetent as they have always been. Personally I will not waste a hundred hours creating relationships in a game just so I can play the few hours a week in a quality environment on a quality server." ???

11. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I don't see where I said wrong but then it wouldn't be the first time.

The last time I played this game, most servers and mods were made by people who had no idea what a good game is. They were mindless hack'n'slash, in crappy laggy servers with people who tk'd, offgamed and otherwise lamed to the best of their abilities.

When I searced for better games it soon came apparent to me that I needed to work my way there. I needed to move around the servers, meet people, play here and there and "prove my worth" so to say. Because I had no reputation amongst these unknown folks, I needed to make one so I would be granted entrance to better servers with better people playing in them. This took time, a lot of time. Slowly I got connected to new people until finally finding a good server on which to play on (I've now forgotten its name), which was shut down two weeks after I found it. After that, any games I tried to arrange with the same people could be held a few times a week only, and usually at a time that was all but good for me.

Soon after, I lost interest and uninstalled the game for lack of space on my hard-drive (this was around 2 months after I had started playing NWN multiplayer, so it had taken time to get that far). Some time after that I found I had lost my manual, and the CD-key with it, so I wouldn't know if the game has changed so as to allow more easy access to good roleplaying groups within the last 8-10 months or so.

Point is, if you're not the social type to switch ICQ numbers (or even use it, I don't), arrange for new relationships and meetins in irc, and make room for special games and meetings for people who aren't even in your timezone, then it will not be worth the effort. At least if we're assuming things are the same they were back then when I still played. Of all that time I played NWN, I actually enjoyed only the last 10 or so hours. The only reason I played it for those 2 months even was because of hope for better. The hope wasn't in vain, of course, but to make up for the crud and waste of time I had to stand for it, I would've liked to enjoy the good gaming for more than just 2 weeks.

12. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

OK I see what you're saying now. But surely people have improved in their mod-making abilities by now? NWN has been out long enough. As for the server side of things, yeah it does require being social and getting to know the right people.

13. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

@Forad
    It has changed. The attitudes of many players are better now and I haven't seen many powergaming servers around.

As far as the lag goes, there isn't much we can do. Few people can afford the bandwidth and system muscle needed to adequately handle more than 3 or 4 players.

I haven't played ToEE yet, but I heard that's it's a contender if you can look past the bugs.

I wouldn't recommend NWN and I can't give an opinion on ToEE.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.