1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

NWN Forum Update

Discussion in 'Game/SP News & Comments' started by NewsPro, May 9, 2002.

1. NewsPro Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

(Originally posted by Z-Layrex)

David Gaider, Designer

I have a case when an NPC calls for help. Now, I can certainly use the Create Object command, coupled with GetFactionAverageLevel to spawn appropriate enemies. Still, it would be cool to be able to trigger an encounter without the player actually entering the normal trigger area. No, the encounter system wouldn't do that for you. Encounters are just a very specific use of the triggers that sets up an encounter within that trigger based on a menu of creatures you provide and a difficulty level that spawns in the appropriate number/CR of creatures to the party/PC that activated the encounter.

Events? When events are triggered (whether on a module, a placeable object, or wherever), the most important part to using the event via script is being able to identify who or what triggered the event. Keep in mind that this is separate from the UserDefinedEvent... these are the events that are hard-coded into each individual object. You assign a script to that event and, when it is triggered, that script will run.

What are interiors like? Most of the interior tiles are pre-furnished with major furniture (beds, tables, some chairs, etc). The reason for this is so they can be accounted for in the walkmesh. Placeable objects can cause havoc on pathfinding... and while filling a room with them might look pretty, I wouldn't want to have an NPC who was trying to navigate amongst it all.
    The only tile that is completely blank is a Castle Interior tile that is a 'stone room'. All the City Interior tiles at least have some furnishings in them.
    As for the bed, the problem is actual dual: one, there is no 'lying down on the bed animation'. Combine this with the fact that the bed does not have a walk-mesh (it's a 'no-walk' area) makes it difficult to actually put someone on it. We had this same problem in BG... but there we also had an attribute you could apply to a sprite that allowed you to spawn it in overtop of a no-walk area (but you couldn't move it after that point).

Derek French, Assistant Producer

I was hoping for a better distinction between portals and new connections. For example, requiring a password to join a server, but allowing unchecked portals from a specific server. This would be useful for DMs needing to connect directly, but still force players to go through the gateway. The DM, having god-like powers on the servers they are able to log into, could connect to Server B and instantly move anywhere within that server. A DM in that 2 by 2 area isn't restricted in any way, because he has DM powers.

Bob McCabe, Designer

How does counter-spellcasting work? I actually did just this the other day. I was so proud.
    Basically, I right-clicked off of the enemy spell-caster, radialed to counterspell, and then waited. When the wizard attempted to cast a spell that I recognized, and had, my wizard would begin casting as the enermy wizard did. At the end, his spell fizzled and I received the counterspell message.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2018
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.