1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

NWN Forum Update

Discussion in 'Game/SP News & Comments' started by NewsPro, May 12, 2002.

1. NewsPro Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

(Originally posted by Z-Layrex)

David Gaider, Designer

Will there be black Dragons?: No. Regardless, pitch black doesn't look good on any model if you want to see anything of its surface features (that's why the 2nd edition picture of the fire giant has its skin light grey... or were you all just pretending that that was really black?)... as I'm sure people who instantly re-color the fire giant model will discover. At any rate, I'm sure you'll be pleased when you finally see the dragon models. The thing I love the most about them, personally, is the attention to detail paid to the difference in each dragon's head.

Leveling up: Running around on a PW or a MMORPG generally calls for a different kind of design... levels going up to 50 or 100 so there can be constant 'levelling up' and little rewards that go along with each time you do (although, strangely, never really becoming much of a power in the grand scheme of things). Neither D&D nor NWN are designed with this scheme in mind, nor will they ever be. Even if Epic Level rules are eventually implemented (God help us), it still won't accomodate that type of game. We're talking episodic campaigns, here. Sure, your character can be built-up over the course of a few adventures (depending on the amount of fighting and XP being thrown about, you can do it in 5 min, can't you?), but it's supposed to be about the adventure and role-playing you do while playing that character. The only reason to bring out that level 20 veteran is for a specific story. This is NOT a game where you run around in a world and kill things on a constant basis and expect that the rules should accomodate you keeping that same character forever while making him more powerful all the time. And I'm not saying that there aren't people out there who are going to attempt a role-playing-oriented PW, either. But a player in one of those who's only goal is to level up will do so quickly enough, as well... and be in the same boat.

NPCs summoning NPCs?: When casting a summoning spell, NPC's have the same restrictions that PC's do (they only get one).
    Alternatively, you could script a summoning and not use the actual spell. I could, let's say, go into the Succubus script and say that when she's half-damaged she adds into her action queue an action that makes her 'cast a spell'... which has a 10% chance of spawning in a Balor.
    If I script creatures to be spawned in, however, they aren't considered 'summoned' and there is no limit. I could have an NPC spawn in 10 Balors, if I wished... but I would specifically have to instruct it to do so.
    As for whether the Succubus has a spell that does the 10% Balor summon or not, I'm not actually sure.

Domain Spells?: Since a lot of the wizard and cleric spells haven't been implemented, that means that many of the domain spells in the various lists are not available.
    We've balanced the lists (so they all have the same number of spells in their list), but gotten rid of the extra domain spell (which was only useable for a spell from the domain list... there's no point having an extra slot at 'some' levels, which changes for each domain)... your domain spells are available for memorization along with your regular spells.

Is a PC's Faction membership on a server saved?: The faction information is stored in the module, referencing that PC. It stays in place even after a save/restore and even if the PC goes through a portal to another server and comes back.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2018
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.