1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

NWN 2 Bugs

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights 2' started by mata5, Dec 15, 2007.

1. mata5 Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Well, hello there...

My friend bought a new computer, and since he doesn't play RPGs the original version of NWN 2 (graphics card package) went to me... Yipi yey!

I finally said to myself: -I'll play some RPG for a few days, God knows i haven't in a long time...

So, i happily installed NWN2, updated it right away (couldn't do that before, pirate version of the game), spent precious MB of ADSL download, and when it finished after an hour - charged the NWN 2.exe. I made my character (Half-Elf Ranger, say what you will! :p :D), downgraded graphics (weak computer) and started the tutorial (+1 charisma cloak, sweet). And while I was playing, i realised there is no merchant with whom you need to trade the furs... :( Bug again.

I remember in my days with pirate version of NWN i had bug that makes you stuck in the fighting brawl in the tutorial, some bugs with trade and stuff, but the craziest bug i remember is in Neverwinter - my main character could be cut down and stuff - but all other members were invulnerable...

So, i wish to ask you good people, how have you managed to endure this games crazy bugs (reminds me of KoTOR in a way) and what bugs can i expect if i continue with the game? Will a smart saving regime save me from them? I wish to play NWN 2... :(

2. Master Leo Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

never had that problem

i think this bug occurs if you close the tutorial window prematurely

i don't recall any of these

patched version should be stable enough for you to finish the game

there are still tons of bugs, but they are mostly spell/feat/class related

also btw, if your game behaves irrationally, make sure your /override folder is empty (can be found in nwn2 installation folder)

3. Urithrand

Urithrand Mind turning the light off? ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I find it strange that you're experiencing all these bugs (None of which I have experienced) at this late stage of patching. The game is relatively free of bugs now and if yours is behaving like this, you should consider posting the problem on the official NWN2 forums and see if the devs will help you out?

I wouldn't agree with that, Obsidian have done an excellent job at removing bugs. Just think if they'd spend an extra year developing the game instead of inflicting it on us, they could have actually *released* it in the state it is today.

4. mata5 Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

oh no, those are the bugs before patching, so i was a little sceptical about the whole thing... the Galen bug was solved with reloading, and no bugs so far (Fort Locke)

5. Master Leo Gems: 7/31

i agree the game is in playable state, but bare minimum, nothing more

as soon as you start looking at the details, you notice a bugfest

personally i can't live without rpgplayer's spelfixes compilation, which can be found here: http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=NWN2Scripts.Detail&id=85

now... tell me how many spell bugs are fixed by this alone? every sane person should have this installed ASAP...

6. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    The question is, if those are really all bugs, why wouldn't Obsidian fix them even after so many patches? Are they even aware of those bugs? Fixing them all is certainly a nice demonstration of the author's skill, but it'd be far more productive for him to make sure that Obsidian included all those fixes in the official patches. Fan patches reach only a minuscule number of players.

Ironhawk Skylord likes this.
  7. Ironhawk Skylord

Ironhawk Skylord If a tree kills alone in the forest, does it make

True. And Obsidian has fixed spells in any other patch so far. Well, at least according to the readme files. :D

I disagree. I started playing after patch 1.03 and I never ran into anything but minor bugs which I could easily fix by google the problem or searching at the official forums. And I think Obsidian has does a nice job optimizing the code especially the graphics.

Personally I think any sane person should wait with fan patches and tweaks until the official patching process is over. I've been skimming the official forums for a long time, and one of the most common problem people have is when a tweak, hak or fanmade patch isn't combatible with the newest official patch. That really does some damage.

Besides that it is limited how many different spells you use IMHO. I believe most people uses IGMS heavily, and then there is buffing spells, which works...

However, I agree with Urithrand. It would be nice if the publisher let the developers finish their work instead of releasing a product who isn't finished. Unfortunately there will be two thursdays in a week before that happens.

8. Master Leo Gems: 7/31

they are aware of them but aren't doing anything to fix them

they just copy/paste the fan made patches and call them "official" (70 spell fixes are slated for the next patch release)

this is sarcasm... right ??

1. every official patch so far has received a hotfix
    2. the usual patch developing cycle is 2-3 months
    3. use fan made patches from reliable people

and this is called an argument? :mad:

and BTW, both IGMS and buffs are/were all heavily bugged

9. Urithrand

Media:
    Well I don't intend to start or participate in an argument, but I do know I ran an entire game without any issues. I cast spells, used special abilities and feats frequently and did not experience a problem. If you want to flame Obsidian Master Leo, they post regularly on the official boards and I'm sure they would love to hear your constructive feedback. Incidentally:

Utter nonsense. The fact that they have not fixed every problem that *you* have with the game doesn't belittle their work on the whole. If you want perfectly programmed games with no bugs, go back to MSDOS

Ironhawk Skylord likes this.
  10. Master Leo Gems: 7/31

you didn't experience a problem because you didn't even know the problem was there (or you just didn't care)

facts are on the table and i'm not the fanboy type of person
    i'm not a beta tester either

not to mention how obsidian boasted they'd finished the xpack several months before the actual release date

11. Ironhawk Skylord

So? Then they do listen to gamers and do fix the bugs? What's wrong with that scenario?

No. I don't have to be sarcastic if I don't agree with you. Which I don't.

And I experienced a clear improvement on performance since patch 1.03.

It has nothing to do with reliable people or not. If their tweak/hak/mod/patch calls some of the 2DA files which is then modified by an official patch, then you're screwed.

Yes, but you're welcome to disagree with my argument.

12. Master Leo Gems: 7/31

the scenario is : they don't care about spell bugs and just let the community make the fixes
    when there is enough fixes you just "take" them and include them into the patch as official fixes (no credit given to the authors IIRC)

that's because they cut some poor code out of the game, reducing overall quality for more performance

not really, obsidian usually throws out a beta version of every patch before it goes official, so the unofficial mod makers already make necessary compatibility changes before the final is out

modifications are kept separate from the rest of the game, in the override folder

your argument is as follows: if a spell or invocation doesn't work properly, simply don't use it

13. Ironhawk Skylord

But they still fix them. But if you're right about credit, then that's off course not a nice policy.

I don't know enough about that. But I do know that I have played the OC 6 times with only minor bugs easily fixed. So I don't agree with you that the game is barely playable.

Yes, but a beta patch is not a final patch. Things change between beta and gold. And people do have a lot of problems with mods and combatibility on the official forum.

I know that. That's why they ask you to clear your override folder when you patch.

No. My argument is that I haven't experienced problems with spells I used, well, except for Ray of Enfeeblement. And the most popular spells do work AFAIK.

But which spells to cast is a matter of taste and playstyle. And I do agree that it is frustrating when spells don't work.

14. Master Leo Gems: 7/31

do you even know why IGMS is one of the best spells around?

it's because of two bugs:
    1. each missile is considered a separate spell, which means one casting destroys any mantle
    2. all creatures, except those with innate spell resistance (like drow), have their spell resistance based on a certain equipped item
    as soon as you hit such an enemy once with a spell, the item is removed and the creature loses all spell resistance
    if you wondered why dragons and other hard creatures were so easy, here's your answer
    and btw, this bug applies to the player as well, which makes SR granting items useless

15. Ironhawk Skylord

No I didn't know that. Thanks. :)

That's actually both hilarious and ridicolous bugs. :lol:

Looks like I didn't have to use Spell Breach, Dispel or Mordenkainen's Disjunction at all.

One question though. How come that rpgplayers spellfixes doesn't fix that? It's not even mentioned...

16. Master Leo Gems: 7/31

rpgplayer does fix a few IGMS bugs, which includes the no.1

the second bug has been around since 1.00 but obsidian stil didn't fix it (it's hardcoded)

speaking of funny bugs, if you have a drow character in MOTB, and romance either one of the NPC characters, they will get you a feat which SETS your SR to a certain number... which overrides (lowers) your innate drow SR

don't tell me how angry i was when i discovered this bug, which lowered my SR From 40 to 30.... a wonderful drow ability being thrown to waste

17. Ironhawk Skylord

That's a frustrating and ridiculous bug.

I hope they fix it in patch 1.12.

18. Master Leo Gems: 7/31

[​IMG]
    to-do list for 1.12 by Rob:
    don't tell me they need 3 months for this? half of this stuff is already done, all they need is c/p from user created mods...

19. Ironhawk Skylord

The worst part is probably the first goal on your list: "Eliminate the errors caused by transitioning with familiars summoned."

That bug has been there since the game's release. People are just experiencing it more now, since one of the patches "improved" the AI for the companions, so they allways summon their familiars or Animal Companions.

20. Urithrand

Media:
    These lists are a concise and managable list of the more interesting fixes included with each patch, you only have to read *any* set of patch notes to realise this is just the tip of the iceberg with all of the official patches. What they actually release at the end of the beta will be a list as long as your arm, but most things don't warrant informing you repeatedly of their creation. They'll release the final patch notes alongside the final patch.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.