1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Nvidia FX 5600 Confusion?

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights 2' started by Pennero, Nov 17, 2006.

1. Pennero Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] I read in this site, and in atari's site that the FX 5600 (my card) is capable of supporting NWN2. However, the Readme of the game claims otherwise, and furthermore, when I tried to play, the game worked in like 2 fps at best, and changing all preferences to low didn't seem to help.
    What's up? Is my card able to support the game or not? Cus so far it doesn't look like it.
    And another one, it says in the readme: "The following video cards are not currently supported by Neverwinter Nights 2 but may be added at a later time". What's this "later time" which they talk about? Will there be an update allowing the game to run on an Nvidia FX card?

Thanks.

2. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Not on the card you have. It's far too old of a card. NWN2 is one of the most demanding games to be released in a long time. I think you'll have problems with anything less than the 6 series. Sorry to break bad news - but you'll have to buy a new card to play it.

I just upgraded my system myself, so I know how you feel.

3. johnnybr1 Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

4. catbert

catbert Midnight Snack Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    It's like election promises. Supported at a later time in no way indicates that the game will be playable - just that it will start. On a large number of cards that somewhat meet the requirements, it won't even do that.

FX series are laughably inadequate for NWN2, regardless of the fact that the game's graphics are laughably inadequate for its system requirements. Higher level GF6 cards (6600GT+) run the game, but you'll have to sacrifice your shadows, lights, water effects, and resolution to get fps count in the 20s. GF7 cards (7600GT+) run the game okay on middle of the road settings. I use a 7950GT, and play in 1280x1024 with shadows off at a stable 30fps.

5. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    30 fps? Turn the shadows on then! :)

6. catbert

catbert Midnight Snack Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Turning shadows to full loses me 3-5 fps consistently, still keeping it pretty playable. Only they don't really do much to me. :skeptic:

I'd much rather forward the processing power into character animation, alas those were not included. The water effect is pretty, but it's one more of those things that look good on screenshots, while being utterly impractical - water turns into a sheet of tinfoil from topdown camera. And you can't even take a dunk. :(

7. Pennero Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] =\...
    Well first off, thanks for the replies, at least I now know for sure that my card is utter crap. It IS pretty old after all...
    About the graphics, I don't really care to ommit the shadows (I usually turn em off cus my card can't support em, so i'm used to it ^^), as well as better image quality, antialaising, etc etc... This game looks AWESOME (my friend is addicted to it ^^), I just want to play in it in a reasonable fps rate, regardless of the graphics quality. Is there no way at all to play the game without having to upgrade my system?

8. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    No, not really. Not in any way that would be enjoyable.

9. edorien Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

er... you probably can play at a bit higher than that. I'm getting 30fps of a 256mb geforce 7900gs, at 1920*1200, with everything at max
    (2gb memory, dual 2.4ghz intel)
    So you should be able to go higher than that

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.