1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

NPCs leaving because of reputation

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by tjekanefir, Aug 20, 2001.

1. tjekanefir Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Has anyone ever actually *had* an NPC leave because of your reputation?

In my games, the NPCs will complain, even telling me that they are leaving, but never actually go. I thought this might be because of my main characters' 18 charismas (granted by that circus ring), but Wally of the 3 charisma has had the same experience.

Does anyone know what's going on here?

2. Alyr Arkhon Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Evil characters start to complain when your rep. goes over 13, but they don't leave the party until your rep. is 19 or higher. I have this problem with Edwin and Viconia, so they will leave the party if your rep. goes too high.

3. Wildfire Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

On numerous occasions Viconia has left my party due to my sheer goodness :D, forcing me to reload and slayer change.

[This message has been edited by Wildfire (edited August 20, 2001).]

4. tjekanefir Gems: 13/31

I was going around with a 20 and though Viconia complained a lot she never left. Then I tried taking my rep all the way down to 1 once by using the Slayer repeatedly, just to see if the good characters would leave, but they never did. They announced "You're awful, I'm leaving!" but stayed right by my side.

5. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] I think it takes time before they leave. Korgan and Viconia left when I had been at Reputation 20 for a while. I promptly reloaded, made the purchases I needed and then lowered the reputation.

6. tjekanefir Gems: 13/31

Huh... so did they make their "Now I am leaving your worthless carcass" speeches *without* leaving for a while, or did they leave as soon as they got angry enough to utter their "outta here" speeches?

I had Aerie going "You're awful! I'm going back to the circus right now!" and Jaheira going "That does it! Now I must fight against you!" and Sir Anomen saying "You are vile, I will kill you!" But none of them actually left or attacked. It had me really stumped. Why are they sticking around?

I don't have any patches on or anything...

7. Gibben Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Neither do I have any of the patches, and Edwin will make all kinds of clamor about leaving, will turn blue and approach me as though I'd just reformed him out of the party (mentioning just before this, in that suspiciously feminine voice that, uhm, "I'll just have to go find help, myself"), but will then ask me if "that's it?" and whether I still need Edwinster or not. Actually, Edwinster will do this twice in a row (immediately upon accepting to stay, will leave and ask again) but will then stay for another extended time, before repeating the process (which can get interesting, discussing Edwinster's water retention while trying to subdue a thirsty Balor). I always attributed it to high charisma, with that ring, but even when not wearing it (charisma of 8), no one seems to leave for good, purely based on reputation.

That's interesting, though, that the True Neutral Jaheira complains only mildly when you're perceived as heroic ("We must strive to maintain balance"), but quite strongly when you're at the other end of the spectrum. I'm sorry, Jaheira, there's just no balance . . . I dress left. :rolleyes:

8. Tiamat Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Nobody's ever left me, either. They complain a lot (which is why I dumped Edwin) but otherwise don't do anything about it.

9. tjekanefir Gems: 13/31

In fairness to Jaheira, I don't think "heroic" and "completely despicable criminal" are really completely equivalent. Though almost all right-minded people would object to being completely despicable criminals, being heroic can actually serve a neutral or even evil person quite well, and it makes sense to me that it takes longer for an evil person to get mad and quit the group because of heroism than for a good person to get mad and quit the group because of villainy.

Or perhaps I should say "try to quit". Good to know I'm not the only one having this odd effect...

10. Blue Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I guess you've been just lucky that they haven't left you, because in my game, both Viconia and Edwin leave me within a couple of minutes after hitting 19 rep - just dropping their gear and run - with no chance for me to get them back. And my main character HAS a charisma of 18, so it's obviously not related to that...

11. Ursaj Gems: 2/31

I've had the same stuff with Edwin. He told me "I've had enough. You won't help, so I'll find my own cure". However, he just asked if I want him back, and he rejoined.

One thing I think is that the evil characters can join a rep 19 or 20 party and not leave, but will get mad if the rep changes. If you have a totally good party with a 20 reputation, you can have Edwin and Korgan join you and they won't leave, but if you do something bad and your rep falls by one to 19, then they'll leave because the value changed, and it's above 18. This is why Viconia's good. Get her, you lose two rep and the evil guys won't leave unless you get another raise. When you go buy stuff, dump the baddies and tell them to wait, you rep goes back up 20. Buy all you need for cheap, get them back, and resume adventuring. Hooray.

12. tjekanefir Gems: 13/31

I am pretty sure that won't work, Ursaj. If you release a character whose alignment is too out of whack with your reputation, they storm off telling you you'll never see them again instead of waiting nicely in the Copper Coronet.

13. Ursaj Gems: 2/31

*Hits himself over the head many times*
    Of cource. My bad.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.