1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

NPC advice/question...

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Devlish, Oct 1, 2000.

1. Devlish Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] Actually, I have two NPC questions for whomever can help:

1. OK, I know that may quests require the participation of NPCs to get involved with and do. But how do you handle if you already have your full party (own char + 5 NPCs)? Do you drop one of your -regular- NPCs to let in the quest NPC? And if so, then come back and pick up the 'regular' NPC and drop off the new one when you no longer need him/her?

2. Any strong opinions on need/power of Fighters and Paladins? I am in Ch. 2, and my plan was my char (Sorcerer, NG), Viconia, Jan, Cernd, Haer and Minsc. That would give me Mage (sorc), Cleric, Mage/Thief, Druid, Bard and Ranger. So no paladin or fighter in the party, and a group of mixed alignments (but mainly in the neutral range). Any strong opinions or tips about what I may suffer for or miss out on with the above? The only char I'm not wedded to is Ranger, but Minsc seems to add a lot of nice custom script to the story.

thanks,

Devlish

2. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

This is what I've been doing during my game.

First question, in my opinion, you can survive most situations in the first few chapters with 5 party members, this including you. The way the story is going, it seems like they want you to explore the city and surrounding areas to find these NPCs and try them out. The later the chapter, the less chance you're going to get to involve yourself with these NPCs. This is a building stage, for you to find out what works best for you.

I haven't had any problems with 5 characters in my party and this is what I've had for a very long time (through the Graveyard, the Keep and Umar Hills).

Half-Orc Barbarian
    Minsc
    Korgan
    Aerie
    Nalia

-----

At this point, I already knew that Jaheira is going to be coming along with me even though she is currently "away" on business. Her quest will be the last one I finish before I find out about Imoen.

Now I've travelled with Mazzy, Yoshimo and now Valygar during that time, who make the 6th spot. When I grab that 6th NPC, I do their quest and at the same time, see how they're like. When their quest is over, I'll immediatly pick up another NPC and do the same. When you tell them to leave, they will be waiting for you "somewhere" and you can always go back to pick them up when you're ready to form your final party.

2) I'm a little disapointed I told Anomen to get lost via Minsc and I think I've lost him for good. I'm looking for another fighter, one I could dual to a mage. Ryan, a friend of mine imported his BG1 character (Mage/Fighter dual class). His AC is -5 without armor, it's sick. I need more fire power up front, but with the ability to cast as well. Having 2 mages standing back throwing spells is a waste if they can't also be up front swinging a weapon AND casting.

Who's the bard in your party?!?

That's some serious running around you'll be doing later on...so you can hopefully live long enough to watch another one of your characters die ;)

Yeah, you need some power up front, someone to hold a front line, hold the door from monsters rushing forward. Minsc can only do so much. What's your Druid going to do if things get sticky? Turn into a bird and watch the last party member drop to the ground? Since Valygar has joined my party, I now have 4 fighter "classes" up front and two mages, one a mutli cleric/mage, in the back throwing spells. With that wall, I know my mages are free to arc outwards and hit the battle from the side because my fighters are keeping them busy.

What I'd like you to do though, is try it and tell me how you find it to be. It's an odd mix, for me personally, and I'd really like to know how a party like that would survive. Is it possible? Could be. Let me know.

Syl...

3. The Wretched Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG]
    The current party I'm running with is:

D'Nub (me) - NE Half-Orc Barbarian
    Korgan
    Viconia
    Edwin
    Yoshimo
    Jan Jansen

I started off with the Fighter/Mage I had imported from BG, but there seemed to be a distinct shortage of fighters, so I went with a Barbarian and loaded up on up-front power instead've magic. Viconia is my 3rd tank, made possible by the Gauntlets of Ogre Power, which left Yoshimo as missile support, and Edwin standing around most of the time, until we needed a haste or a few monsters to back us up.

Jan is a recent addition, because I liked him so much in my first game. He'll probably not stick around though, because I'm going to get that Shapeshifter Druid if I can.

So my opinion? Fighters still rule, because mages, though powerful, can get horribly swarmed in this game. With my three up-front fighters, we maul through almost anything with ease... including buffed-up spellcasters!

But to answer your first question last, I agree with Syl.. alot of your NPCs will have an associated quest right away, which allows you to get some experience and items, as well as find out how much you like their style. But later in the game, you don't get much chance to go back to the city, so you need to eventually flesh out how you want your party's balance to work, because you'll have to stick with it through thick and thin!

4. The Deviant Mage Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

My alignment has been working pretty well

Valyn (elf sorcerer)
    Minsc
    Jaheira
    Yoshimo
    Aerie

That was my core for a long time, then I would add on that pivotal 6th for a while, as previous posters did. I then dumped them after I finished their quest or when I wanted another space for someone else. I dumped Nalia after her quest, then Valygar after meeting Haer'Dalis. I picked up Keldorn after losing Haer'Dalis. I can't say anything more, since I am a bit further in the game and don't want to post a spoiler in someone else's thread.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.