1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Now This is REALLY Scary

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Oct 31, 2005.

1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Wow, I'm having a hard time putting this into words. It appears that a convicted child molester has open up a haunted house in Indiana, as part of the Halloween festivities, and technically there's nothing illegal about this, and nothing that the community can do to stop him, other than not going to the haunted house.

Now, I understand that we can't stop convicted child molesters from trying to make a buck, but it seems that opening a business that predominantly caters to children and teenagers, is going a bit too far. Ten years ago, he was convicted (and admitted) to molesting a 12-year old girl, and that's exactly the type and clientelle his new business would be getting.

Your thoughts? Here's the full story.

2. Undertaker Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

There are many things that are sick but as long as the law is not broken the we can do nothing about it. They can only wait and hope that no child would be hurt.

3. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

It's up to parents to be vigilant about what their children are doing. Given that this is in the news now, I can't imagine his business will end up doing very well.

4. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

[​IMG] I'm feeling very Cartman-y today, so I'll settle on this:
    :evil:

5. Susipaisti

Susipaisti Maybe if I just sleep... Veteran

Yeah, this is a disaster waiting to happen. Demonstrations on his street wouldn't hurt.

6. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

It is up to the parents to not let their children go there, but what if they didn't know that it was run by that man? Especially for people from out of town...

7. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Makes me wonder if Cooley has a restraining order keeping him <insert measurement here> away from schools and playgrounds. That's usually what's one of the requirements (I guess that's the right word) for child molesters within the past 10 years. Although, if Cooley has been doing his haunted house for 2 years, why are people b*tching now? Or is it that no one bothered to call MSN news about it?

8. Saber

Probably the latter: it hasn't made the news because no one went to a news station. Likely people were complaining for as long as he has done it.

I wonder why he doesn't have a restraining order... perhaps his case was different than others?

9. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    I'm feeling very democratic today, so let me ask this: Would you stop a thief from opening up a store? Even though he may have robbed one in the past? Better yet, would you hire a convicted thief to work in a store? Believe me, I share everyone's concern because I am a parent also, and I have two girls. But does that mean that those who have offended in the past, should be prevented from ever having the same status as anyone else in society?

We have to answer this question as a yes or no question; no back tracking here, like: Well, maybe we can let them wash cars, or some other job that would never really be of any value to anyone else. But, it's good enough for them.

Having said that, I'm going to put myself on the line and answer it sincerely: No, I don't think they should. Why? Even though I believe in redemption for every human being, and I believe every person can change - and thusly, deserves an even break, I have absoultely no faith in the criminal justice system. People can talk about three strikes, or that "they have done their time," but I don't want my kids to be the third strike for some maniac. And I'm sure most every other parent agrees with me. I don't have a great deal of faith in human nature, but I have some - I have no faith in "the system." The sooner they fix the system, the sooner everyone will be better off in this regard.

In this instance, according to the article, it seems to working out OK. But notice that the system was not really involved in this result: We have a guy who turned himself in - which made it easy for the officials; then he did "his time." And now it's been ten years and he's just in business like anyone else. This could have gone either way, because it depends on the indivdual. If he's willing to change, then he will, as this guy appears to have. Yet, the neighborhood is up in arms, even though no one has committed a crime. Well, the next time they may not be so lucky. Still, I would not want to chance it.

10. Saber

Yes, he could be one of the people who actually wants to redeem himself, and if he does, and he just wants to move on, so be it, good for him. I think it was just a bad choice of a profession...

And Chandos, I think your thief comparison doesn't really work - a child molestor takes something away that can be given back.

11. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Oh, yes there is. It just wouldn't, ah, be legal.

I don't see the cops putting much effort into finding an arsonist in this case, however. If folks are careful, well...

12. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

I do agree that he shouldn't be allowed near children, but if he is sincere, then he should have the option to turn his life around. I just think that parents should be cautious about this...

13. martaug Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Just saw on the news that the state of south carolina(they also mentioned chicago) has very strict child protection. On halloween convicted sex offenders are not allowed out on the streets between the hours of 5 o'clock PM til 12 oclock midnight. also they are not allowed to open ther house doors to pass out halloween candy. don't know if it will hold up in court but for now it is in effect

14. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    @ all - Perhaps a better question would be this: If you are a parent, even if you think this guy deserves a second chance, would you be comfortable letting your child go to this haunted house?

@ martaug - That is an interesting rule indeed. I imagine it can't be a blanket statement that applies regardless of circumstance. For example, starting it at 5:00 seems extreme as most people work until 5:00, and thus do not arrive back at home until later. I can't imagine they would apply this to someone coming home after work. It probably could be challenged, but first there would have to be someone arrested, because otherwise, it wouldn't be worth anyone's time to challenge the law.

15. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I am not a parent. But if I were, I would not be very comfortable letting my children - or, more realistiically - a little brother of a friend or a little kid in my neighborhood into this house.

But I would also not be comfortable with the decision that a person who has done something wrong should be denied the prospect of entertaining children. I mean, child molesters are people too. (The fact that he turned himself in suggests that he felt remorse or guilt for what he did.)

16. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

AFI: Regardless, I would likely be with my children (when i have them) when they go to a haunted house, regardless of who is running one. If the guy was an offender, I likely would be on my guard, and if he tried anything within my field of awareness, I'd make sure he was stopped, likely painfully, and would face the courts again. If he's honest, there would be no problem. But the bottom line is that there needs to be a compromise between caution and letting the guy get on with his life...

17. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Good point, Gnarfflinger. It's not like you're kids are going to be there by themselves anyway so it's not really an issue.

18. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    Absolutely No way, Ever.

19. CĂșchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

But what about his rights to be near children :rolleyes:

No parent in their right mind would even risk their children attending such a place. Even if he is fully 'reformed', can we be sure, does he even deserve to be near children again?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.