1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Norwegian infidels

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Laches, May 22, 2003.

1. Laches Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/3048275.stm

Now, this one fried my noodle for a bit. I actually wondered for a bit if someone had made a mistake - "oops, sorry, we meant kill the infidels in Spain. Leave the infidels in Norway alone for the time being."

After some thought though, it probably has to do with the Norwegian attack penguin capabilities. Heh, this is an aside, but check out this:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/silly/story/0,10821,538537,00.html

Maybe they're worried about bands of death penguins?

Actually, probably has something to do with this:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/2873521.stm

Still, seems like it is still a highly puzzling country to pick on.

This is highly inappropriate I'm sure, but I find the whole scenario somewhat amusing - sorry for you Norwegians out there, hope y'all stay safe.

2. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

As I am coming from a small country myself, I had funny conversations involving my nationality:
    " I am swiss."
    "Oh, Sweden, what a great country."
    "Ah, no Switzerland, that one with the alps"
    "Austria !!!, yes skiing in Austria!"
    "No, that one were they speak French"
    "Belgium ??"

I personally think they made a mistake. It would be interesting to know, how the name of the countries sound in arabic.

They propably meant either: Poland or Danemark

Poland -> Poland and Norway may have similar names in arabic

Danemark -> Maybe wrong association -> What was that other country ? One of those "nordic" countries. Northern ? Norse ? Norway ?

Is the second one true, than I'll bet all scandinavians are relieved, that the didn't say "Finland". They can't have it, when someone thinks "Finland" is a scandinavian country. At least that's my personal expirience. No pun versus suomi intended.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/3008323.stm

3. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I heard this on the radio on the way home from work, and I must confess I was shocked.

Big, bad Norway? Have we thrown our weight around that much? I didn't think so either. I know what you're saying Laches, this surely must be some mistake?

Here is a link to an article in English from one of the main Norwegian broadsheets about the threat entitled "Why Norway". In all honesty I think Norwegians are baffled by this.

I also note that the US embasy in Oslo was closed yesterday after the announcement, though it didn't say if it has now been re-opened. The UK foreign office is considering advising people not to travel there. Mad stuff. Hopefully nothing comes from these threats, but I think it could well get the US greater support for any future actions from the Norwegian Government!

4. Iago Gems: 24/31

Fallacy. That is base on the assumption, that US-Goverment efforts have any kind of use. I doubt that. I know nothing about domestic norwegian affairs, as you are half Norwegian, you know better. But still, why should increased security measures lead to support of US-Goverment action ? Rather puzzling to me.

Still, my opinion is, they confused Norway with another country. Like the Russians. They always confuse the British with the Germans. :evil: :evil: :D . Some barbarians from the west, a.k.a. the "francs".

5. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] He confused Denmark with Norway. Its the safest bet. Remember the extremely scary results Joacqin posted from National Geographics. Why should the arab countries be any better at geographics than The rest of the world. Scandinavia is just one country to them, in worst case scenarios.

Its the most likely bet that he confused Norway with Denmark. Really weird situation. THough there is a person (was in the news, can't remember his name and doesn't really care) with connection to Osama Bin laden who lives in Norway and has been treated very badly by the government. Could be that reason...

Anyway Norway thought they could be hiding up there, getting rich on the oil they took all of, while not participating in much in Europe. Really peculiar situation, that the facelss Norway is suddenly in Leauge with USA. Strange.

[ May 22, 2003, 21:13: Message edited by: Nobleman ]

6. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Well thank god (??) Osamah likes the Dutchies, since we oh so became muslim after 9/11... :hmm:

He even praised us for that, whaddayaknow

7. Iago Gems: 24/31

Denmark.

http://www.spiegel.de/panorama/0,1518,249911,00.html

Translation (Word for word, as my English allows it):

The neighbouring country of Norway Denmark belonged to the group of the willing, participated in the war and thinks, it has been adressed. "He speaks surely of Denmark", says danish terrorism expert Helle Lykke Nielsen, university of Southdenmark."Obviously is he threatening the members of the war-coalition." In the middle-east, the scandinavian countries are often confused.

Stein Toennesen, director of the peaceresearchinstitute in Oslo (Norway), is assuming the same. He said that it is quite possible, that al-Sawahiri, the alleged voice on the record, confused Norway with Denmark.

8. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Exciting. I know Helle Personally. Good to know she is backing my views or I would have bothered her tomorrow at uni about this ,Yago, Quoting her strange ideas. And I'll poke her with her English. :1eye:

Anyway. The danish Version of CIA states that there are clear indications that it is indeed Norway that is the target. Hopefully time will NOT tell what is correct. Nomatter what country it is both Denmark and Norway seem to be at a higher alert. So it doesn't really matter what country they meant.

9. Iago Gems: 24/31

At nobleman. I guess you now the tune, when you're in a small European country, the usual theme is BEING confused with another country. NOT being confused with another country is always a surprise. If people do not confuse my country with another one, I usually have 2 assumptions:

A. The know a lot of geography.

B. They've been there.

And I repeat: Luxembourg is NOT Lichtenstein. And Macedonia is a south-east European country, not a province of greece. Makedonia on the other hand is no country, but a province of greece. :D ;)

Oops, or did I confuse Makedonia and Macedonia. Well, at least I am sure that Slovenia is somewhere in the south, Slovacia is somewhere in the east.

Don't tell me it is that bad. :eek: :( :mommy: It was at least understandable.

Sidenote: They forgot to threaten Italy and Spain.

[ May 22, 2003, 23:41: Message edited by: Yago ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.