1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

No Stealing in HoF Mode?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Swen, Nov 12, 2002.

1. Swen Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Can this be true ... no stealing in Heart of Fury? I was shocked when I came up to the silver wolf toting fool and picked him, and again and again ... but failed reload after reload. For fun I Leveled a thief to 30 and maxed DEX and pick pocket ... still failed! What gives? Also, I have patched version 2.01 ATM and tried it pre patch. Also, FYI I can NOT do the sub quest to get the amulet either, 16 CON character initiating the conversation reaps no subquest question ... so:

a) Can you lift items in HoF?
    b) How do you get the amulet in HoF?

Thanks for any help

2. Grey Ghost Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Is your 16 CON character a dwarf? He will not do the contest with a dwarf. I thought that I did that subquest in HoF mode (but I was using the unpatched version at the time-although the patch should not have affected this area of the game). Not to be dumb, but have you cleared the docks of the goblins? You cannot do the drinking contest until after all the goblins are dead-including those in the caves below Targos.

I can't recall being able to steal from anyone except Valin in my HoF game. I know I tried to steal the Lucky Nucky again, but could never do it.

3. Suker Gems: 1/31

Pick Pocket is pretty pointless throughout. There just aren't enough items. Lucky Nucky and ROP+1 are decent back in prologue, but after that I can't remember coming across anything worthy the loading time again and again and again.

Hope somebody can correct me on this.

4. Modjahed Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Some Pick Pocket checks in HoF are impossible to make.

You can still lift in HoF - one item that almost HAS to be stolen is Young Ned's Knucky from the Gallaway Depot guy. I beleive his PP check is at 30-40.

5. Swen Gems: 1/31

The reason I never received the option to contest with the barb was the fact that gobs still ran amok on the docks ... I was able to get it after they died. Now there are some sweet items to buy from vendors and with ungodly HoF PP checks ... will I be able to return to Targos well into the game? Will the vendors inventory change like in BG2 or IWD along with the chapters. Will I need to buy it NOW or loose the opportunity? Thanks all

6. Khazraj Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Spoiler below

After chapter 1 there is no turning back, you won't see Targos again.

[ November 19, 2002, 07:49: Message edited by: Khazraj ]

7. Quint Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I thought Pick Pocket was quite useful. Ulbrect, his wife, the priests in the tent, all had good things (a ring of protection +1 if I recall). Everywhere you go there are things to pickpocket, not very many unique things though.
    (I'm talking about normal mode)

Careful: If you want to make full use of your Dex bonus to thieving skills, take off your armor!
    There's a bug in the game which limits all dex bonuses to thieving skills, to the dex bonus to ac which the armor specifies.
    (e.x. Your armor has Max Dex bonus to AC = +4. Your Dex bonus is +9. Not only will your AC bonus from Dex be limited to +4, but all your thieving skills as well.)

[ November 19, 2002, 18:49: Message edited by: Quint ]

8. AlexGK Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Hmm... my thief\mage has PP 4 but when i chose to lift something the pickpocket icon on the target is bown... Must I be invisible when stealing or something?

9. Astin X Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Its not a bug. That is why rogues start out only with light armour proficiency. Your armour affects thieving skills.

[ November 19, 2002, 19:55: Message edited by: Astin X ]

10. Quint Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

If you are referring to my post, then I'm sorry but it definitely is a bug. The armor affects thieving skills via the spec called "Armor Check Penalty". But the armor's "Max Dex Bonus" (which should be fully called "Max Dex bonus to AC") should only limit the AC bonus from Dex, not all bonuses from Dex.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.