1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

New PC questions.

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Sydax, Aug 8, 2006.

1. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] Finally I bought my new computer, I got a good deal (€620) and seems that is a good PC to play the new "system-eater" kind of games. So here are the specs:
    Mobo: Rio (GA-8TRC410MNF-RH) Gigabyte
    Pentium D 820 (2.79Ghz each)
    ATI Radeon XPRESS 200 (PCIe, onboard) 256MB
    HDD Seagate TONKA 1.5 Serial ATA 7200rpm 200GB
    GWA-4164B Writable Dual Layer Driver
    Philips DVD8801 DVD±RW Dual Layer Drive
    Realtek HD Audio
    1GHz DDR2 532.

So here are some questions:
    - What's the difference between Pentium D and Pentium 4? Which is best? Or Faster?
    - Having 2 processors means that it can be used both of them at the same time? Or just when there are a lot of demmand?
    - I had to install Catalyst Drivers but I needed MicrosoftNET Framework first to be installed, so now everytime I restart, I have that 'welcome-choose user screen', when the PC is at home and I am the only one using it, so I don't want that screen. Is there a way to remove it?
    - I have a Packard Bell keyboard (model 9205, 'Internet and media shortcuts keys') and I noticed that in some games, pressing 3 keys at the same time produces a 'bip' sound in the PC speakers and the game acts like I didn't touched any key. How do I fix that?
    Well, that's it for now. I have some other questions but that will be later.
    Thanks.

2. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

It's not that good a computer. The price-performance ratio is good though.

And you *shouldn't* disable the choose user screen.

3. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well, you pretty much answered your first question with the second. The D series Pentiums are dual-core, the Pentium 4s are not. The 800 series are still on the 90nm lithography process, while the 900 series is when Intel moved to the 65 nm process.

Yes, having two cores means you can use them both at the same time. The OS will schedule them based on what you're doing. Since typical users have many processes going on at the same time (things like virus scanners in the background etc.), you will likely put both of them to good use all the time even if none of the programs you run are designed to be multi-threaded.

As to playing system-eater games, I think an onboard graphics chipset will not work out so well.

4. Sydax Gems: 19/31

@Taza: Why? Whatever I should have to hide I have Lock Folder, but I don't even have anything to hide...
    What caught my attention was the price-performance ratio. That's why I bought it, having in mind that soon I could buy some more RAM and a good graphic card.

Well, I don't have any trouble playing NFS Most Wanted (and everybody knows how EA games are system eaters), I'm playing FEAR and Sniper Elite also and all of them are at the best settings.

So the use of both processors is automatic or I have to tweak something?

5. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Yes, use of the processors it's automatic.

You must be at some seriously low resolution then because I've seen reviews where the IGP of the XPRESS 200 had 10 frames per second on Doom 3 at 1024x768. I would expect less than half that for FEAR.

6. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Will he be able to play NWN2 and Oblivion on that machine?

7. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Well, it does exceed the minimum requirements for Oblivion... not quite up to the recommended though.

8. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

When I eventually get my next PC, acceptable performance on those two games will be a minimum requirement.

9. Sydax Gems: 19/31

I play 800x640 in FEAR and full graphics on, and the frame rate never drops. I don't understand much on resolutions but playing at 1024 (I tried) the only difference I found (in Doom3) was the frame rate drop but not such thing as 10. When switched to 800, the game ran very smoothly.
    I'll make some screenshots with Fraps.

10. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Oh, no, I believe you. It's just surprising given the information I've seen. I'm glad it's working out so well for you.

11. Abdel - Bhaal Spawn Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

If you upgrade your video card and you will be fine. I would go with ATI X1900 or Nvidia 7900 GT.

12. Sydax Gems: 19/31

Ok, my birthday is around the corner so I get to chose my gifts. So instead all the clothig-perfume-shoes that I got last year I'm going to improve my new computer.
    I was checking some video cards and this is what I got:
    - GF6 6500 256MB TURBO PCI-E DDR DVI/TV XFX
    - ATI RADEON X550 256MB PCI-E DDR DVI/TVOUT
    - GEFORCE6 6200 512MB DDR AGP DVI TVOUT
    - ATI RADEON X550 512M HM PCI-E TV/OUT DVI
    - GeForce 7300GS PCI-Express DDR2 256Mb/64Bit

Well, those are some of them, they are from 55€ to 75€, but I'm told that I can go to 100€. I realy don't care about the TV out, I won't use it, so, what you think about them? Are them good at all?
    If not, do you know some others, but remember, no too expensive.

By the way, Harbs, I got Oblivion and I can play it, the only thing is that I have to set 800x640, the graphics are very good, but I'm sure that it could be better, but after all, I can play the game very well. Oh, and when the game started, it said that it didn't know what graphics card I have, so the game automaticaly set graphics to... medium, which is, as I said, very good smooth play.
    Pic1
    Pic2

[ August 14, 2006, 19:11: Message edited by: Sydax ]

13. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

14. Da Rock Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

.NET Logon Screen:
    I remember a year ago when I did some C# programming that .NET sets this up (annoyingly). I am not sure, but .NET might create a domain (for web server security), so try this:
    Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services
    Find "Net Logon" - if it is set to "Automatic", try setting it to "Manual".
    There may be several more things you may need to play with to get rid of the "Welcome" (go away!) screen - either in the Admin Tools or User Accounts.

The best solution is to use Omega drivers instead of Catalyst for your ATI card and avoid .NET like the plague.
    I've never had problems with it, but some people might have - and argue the case NOT to go the way of Omega.

15. Sydax Gems: 19/31

I still wonder what .NET is for. But you need it for some applications to work, like Catalyst.
    I have now a Nvidia Geforce 7600GS card now, so I don't need Catalyst anymore. Still, there are some tools that I use that needs the darng Framenetwork.

16. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    The omega drives wrought havoc for my old 9800 pro. Catalyst for me.

As for your videocard. if the ati 1900 or nvidia 7900 are to steep in price, which they are according to your budget, try a medium card like the ati x1600xt € 125 (( brand: sapphire) or nvidia 7600gt €139 (brand: XFX). The €25/39 are worth it. Those are the cards that match your system. They drop in price, but slowly.

Your memory ddr2 532?? not 533?

How many strips? one out of 4 slots? two out of four slots. I ask because different memory strips, or simms, ofton do not work with each other. Do you have a kit of two simms that work together or just one simm. If you have two out of four it is save to buy the same kit for the other two slots. one gigabyty of ddr2533 can be found aroun€ 100. (it is not made easy, is it?) The memory is ok for now. at least for an other year.

I would buy the videocard first.

It is complicated to understand sometimes. many people look at the card, see 256/512mb and think ok. but that is just the memory. A videocard also has a processor, an interface etc etc and those are less on the pro/gs cards making them cheaper and sometimes a lot slower.

Under the €100 mark? The pro/gs card will be more than enough to play NWN2 and can be found under the 100 mark. Nvidia is better than ati in this range.

I do not want to pressure you in any way to point to a card, but stay with the ati 1600 or nvidia 7600 series.

17. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Boo! Shame on you!

Swap the f****** Intel processor for an Athlon X2 and you got a nice little machine.

18. Sydax Gems: 19/31

Don't be mad at me... it was in the package, was a gift and was the best deal :(
    Still... with the GeForce 7600GS I can play F.E.A.R. and Most Wanted and some other 'system-eaters' games with full graphics :)

19. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Drat late again. Stil, it was nice to dig. the card will work fine. XFX? A least you have some info about the memory to use.

As far as I can tell your processor fits in a socket 775. After a year or two you can upgrade the processor only with the new conroe, (speculating but pretty sure) when it might be to slow for the games released in two years. That way you can add more years to your system.

But for now, have fun with NWN2n first before thinking about upgrading.

20. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Actually, he should have swapped it for the new Intel Core 2 Duo...which is about 30% faster on just about everything compared to AMD.

All you AMD fans have to look forward to is the "promise" of a 4-core CPU packed with a 4-core AMD tainted ATI card that will only give you a 4% speed boost for 4x the cost. :p :shake:

Poor ATI...I used to really like them...not so sure anymore, now that they have AMD's taint on their hands. :bad: This just might be the thing that pushes me in to being an nVidia fan. :skeptic: :rolling:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.