1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

New gaming rig or laptop + console

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Mongerman, Oct 31, 2006.

1. Mongerman Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Well my 3 year old rig has finally bit the dust, giving me the chance to get a new rig. I'm now undecided between building a new system for gaming, or just getting a cheap laptop for work while leaving gaming on the console.

Based on prices here in Singapore, building a new rig will really stretch the 1.5k, considering that 2gigs of decent ram alone will cost about 500, while a gefore 7900 costs around 400. Not to mention other misc stuff. A dell laptop will be less trouble, and i dont have to worry about upgrading either the laptop or console.

So what do you guys think?

2. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Depends how much you're ready to spend. Laptops have been going cheaper. You need something to surf the Internet with and something to play games on. I don't really trust consoles and I'd rather be able to patch games easily, so that would be PC for games as well for me.

Therefore, I would buy a laptop with strong graphics, if possible, and skip the console.

3. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Depends what sort of games you want to play as well and depends what else you want to do on your PC (like digital videos / music / photos etc).

4. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Don't buy it just for 3 years, but something like 6 or 7. Consider this:

LAPTOP:
    + Portable (Internet where you go with WLAN).
    + Decend replacement for a desktop if you don't require too much from the hardware.
    - Smaller screens and worse price/quality ratio.

DESKTOP:
    + Can be customized.
    + The best bang for the buck if you know how to choose.
    - Stationary.

I would choose desktop if I knew I'm going to work and play at home, but laptop if I were going to travel. Especially useful during month-long trips if you want to stay online and have some fun too. Generally speaking, choose laptop if you aren't tech-savvy and just want to get work done. Or are going to travel a lot. I imagine laptops are harder to break. ;)

Otherwise choose a desktop.

5. Mongerman Gems: 8/31

But with the amount of money needed to build a powerful laptop, I could build a REALLY spiffy desktop. My old PC has been for work (basic word processing) and gaming.

Right now, the only game I'm looking forward to is neverwinter nights 2, while there are tons of old ps2 games i have yet to play. But I'm also sentimentally attached to a mouse and keyboard...

6. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I'm pretty sure I saw mouse and keyboard additions for PS2 in a gaming mag recently... might be something worth looking into.

7. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

@Mongerman: I had the same problem as you a couple of years ago...i.e choosing between a gaming rig or laptop...I went with the laptop & Console option and I am not fully satisfied with circumstances.

I'm getting rid of my laptop and picking up a gaming rig at the end of the year though...so yeah.

A HUGE issue I had with laptops which I kinda only realised after I'd bought one...is that you can't upgrade a laptop...

2 yrs ago my laptop had this configuration:

P4 3.2 GHz
    1 GB DDR 333 MHz RAM
    100 GB HDD
    ATi Radeon 9800 256 MB
    4x DVD RW drive
    etc etc...

Only, now I have a load of trouble trying to play Oblivion and NWN2 on my computer because I cant just upgrade my video card! :(

So definitely take that into consideration...

8. Mongerman Gems: 8/31

I understand a laptop will always be subpar gaming wise to the desktop, which is why I included the console option to take care of gaming needs. Just the PS2 alone, which is going rather cheaply now, has 6 years of titles for me to fall back on (ff10, RE4 etc etc), whereas the PC only has nwn2 and medieval 2 coming up.

9. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

But if you save for a bit longer and splurge on a PS3, you get those 6 years of gaming titles PLUS all the AWESOME new games coming out for the PS3!!! :D

Assassin's Creed...Tekken 6...NFS Carbon...FF XIII... :love:

10. Mongerman Gems: 8/31

Yeah but it will definately blow my budget. Its expected price in Singapore is $800 ++. For that price I can get a PS2 AND a LCD monitor to go with it. I held off getting a PS2 for the same reason, and finally I'm rewarded with being able to get the PS2 for $250 instead of 500 odd dollars.

11. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

Plus, you can buy PS2 modded and be a filthy, cackling warez-downloader for free. :grin:

Okay, not free; you still need to buy blank DVDs to burn the ISOs on. That might actually cost something like 200 € per 100 games.

Might also mention that Sony recently shut-down Lik-Sang and bypassed the legal system (even though Lik-Sang did quite stupidly in hiring too expensive lawyers). Their new console is not only expensive, but the company behind is catching up Micro$oft in infamity. In fact, the next generation of consoles might be nothing but a big bubble. Why change at all when PS2 has so many good tried'n'true games?

12. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

Because you want to play the new ones?? :shake:

13. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

Who says there won't be new ones on PS2?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.