1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

New Game with HoW, TotL

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by Blades of Vanatar, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Ok, just finished a Multi-player BG1 run and now i am looking into a new ICWD1 run through. Looking for party suggestions. This was the party i used last time...it kicked butt, almost to easy!(ICWD1 only, no add-one)

Human Paladin
    Dwarf Fighter
    Half-Elf Fighter/Druid
    Gnome Illusionist/Thief
    Human Cleric
    Elf Mage

This is what i am thinking of trying out, as i want to try something different/more challenging, just looking for advice/tweaks...notice the Nature theme...

Human Fighter(3)/Druid Dual-Classed (Tank/Aoe Caster)
    Half-Elf Ranger/Cleric (Tank/Healer/Buffer)
    Elf Fighter/Mage/Thief (Aoe caster/Trap Disarmer/Archer)
    Half-Elf Enchanter (Main Disabler/Summoner)

2. Kullervo Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I don't know how a Bard fits to the nature theme, but they are just great with HoW installed. Party leader/ Loremaster/ Aux. caster/ Singer . Definitely worth trying. Half-Elf Bard would probably fit to the nature theme, or you could pick human w/ the dreadlocks-and-drum-portrait.. he looks somewhat uncivilized.

For the final spot I'd recommend someone who can use swords/axes efficiently. Your tanks are restricted to druid/cleric weapons, and sharp weapons have a certain... edge in IWD :D . F/M/T can use those weapons, but won't be able to go to melee in the early stages. Gnome F/I (excellent tank), or maybe a vanilla fighter (since you already have arcane casters).

3. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

Just keep your party, it's quite good. You could improve it but there's no need to take away the challenge.

4. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I did a three member party with a dwarf fighter (axes and hammers are awesome), half-elf cleric ranger, and elf F/M/T. I had no problems at all (until my computer crashed and I lost the saved games).

I would suggest you take the fighter to seventh level, then switch to druid. You gain an extra half attack, extra hit points, and really don't lose much in progression (a 7/8 F/D takes the same amount of xp's as a 8th level fighter).

I'm with Kullervo -- I'd take a bard instead of your enchanter. You won't be disappointed with the bard. The high level songs nearly negate the need for healing spells allowing you to memorize other spells for the divine casters.

5. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Bard hunh? Maybe i will give it a go with the Bard then, always liked them in a 6 man team. Fighter(7) is definitely better, don't know why i didn't think of that....:o

6. Déise

Déise Both happy and miserable, without the happy part!

I think gnomes can be ranger/clerics? There's an awesome helm for gnomes/halflings which I presume you've seen before. Though I don't know if the current Human/Elf party mix is on purpose. R/C is an awesome character. Don't be afraid to lose the extra attack if you need to boost your armour class with a shield.

I only had one run through but I thought that How/TotL don't quite scale properly in difficulty, as it's balanced so that you can visit them earlier. Whatever order you do them in I'd recommend upping the difficulty if you think it's too easy.

7. kmonster Gems: 24/31

Veteran

Gnomes can't be rangers.

Upping the difficulty setting will make the game easier on the long run since you get more XP. If you want a more difficult game create characters with average stats (only the thief and bard get more than 14 dex and no one gets more than 14 con, disable max HP at level up, ...)

8. Blades of Vanatar

Only Half-Elves allow the R/C multi-class option. But i don't think i will change the difficulty, as i believe all the Black Isle games play, by far, the best when in Normal mode.

As for handicapping my team, i never min/max stats at character creation. I also NEVER set to max HP or re-roll stats. I will only juggle the stats around to make a useful, but not overpowering, character. Makes no sense to have a cleric with 10 Wisdom! I prefer to tackle the games straight-up, with only using add-ons that fix issues/bugs within the game, not add-ons that allow for cheating/disabling of the rules. It ruins the challenge of the game and taints the memories of past childhood experiences. I ran my own D&D campaign for over 12 years with childhood friends and prefer to try to keep the games as close to that PnP realism as possible. But i do understand the reasoning of these other cheats if you are trying out say Heart of Fury, Insane Mode or whatever, to have a fighting chance.

Also, if i try out this 4 man team, it goes without saying they will level faster than the 6 man team. But if i recall, the ability to gain new spells for the mages/bards is only by gaining scrolls, either finding or buying them. Will my spellcasters reach the levels they need to get 5th or 6th level spells, but not have them available because i am progressing too quickly?:mad: That will be very frustrating. Seems like it forces you to take the Bard or F/M/T in the smaller parties....

9. Déise

Gah, I'm getting my party mixed up, it's been a while since I played.

What I meant on the difficulty was starting on normal and gradually increasing it as you find it too easy. I found HOW/TOTL far too easy for the level my 6 man party had reached after the main game. The 'long run' benefits of this don't really matter as you're not going to reach this by the end of the game, particularly if you put it up another notch or two as you feel you need to.

10. Blades of Vanatar

ok, gotcha. I have not played with How or TotL before, so noted with thanks!:) I have read about when to try to enter into the HoW scenario, around hitting level 10 for a 6 man team. Is there a recommended level a 4 man team should hit before trying HoW? how about TotL?

11. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I'd do HoW just before Lower Dorn's Deep. You should have adequate levels for any size group to complete HoW and TotL. TotL can be done immediately after getting to Lonelywood, but may be best right after Burial Isle. While in Lonelywood make sure to shop at the Temple of Waukeen and buy Three White Doves (IMO the best mace in the game and perfect for a R/C).

12. kmonster Gems: 24/31

Veteran

I recommend starting the HoW expansion as late as possible, if you start it earlier the parts of the main game will be too easy.

13. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Ah, the famous "when to enter HoW" debate :)

The first time I played the game I did HoW exactly when T2 suggested - right before Lower Dorn's. On subsequent playthroughs I always finish the main campaign first then export my Final Save party into HoW. I think this makes more sense story-wise (I don't like mixing up plot points) and it also means you get to upgrade Aihonen's Blade fully, something you can't do otherwise. The unfortunate side effect is that it makes HoW too easy, but on the other hand doing HoW and then going back to regular IWD makes chapter 6 and the final battle way too easy.

Ultimately it doesn't matter that much either way. The only major difference is with Aihonen's, which is why I finish IWD before starting HoW. TotLM can be done at any time during HoW (whether you get to HoW from Kuldahar or from a new game) before you go to the Sea of Moving Ice, but just after Burial Isle probably makes the most sense.

14. Blades of Vanatar

ok, so either way, by adding HoW will make one part of the game easy, but completing ICWD 1st will allow me to get the sword upgrade. Guess i'll have to save before Lower Dorn's Deep and try it both ways! Thanks for the help!

15. T2Bruno

Media:
    The base game scales slightly, the add-ons do not scale at all.

The improved sword is only marginally better, but is quite good against the main villain of HoW -- of couse, since HoW doesn't scale, you really don't need the sword at all to kill the villain....

16. Déise

For what it's worth, the official route taken per IWD2 is IWD to How to TotL. You'll need to export/import for each of these. T2's route allows you to do it all as part of the same game. Also, it's more climatic. TotL doesn't have much of an ending and pretty much just dumps you back to HoW.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.