1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

New Computer

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Abdel - Bhaal Spawn, Nov 17, 2005.

1. Abdel - Bhaal Spawn Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

After having a horrible time running Windows Media Center on my 5+ year old computer I finally convinced my wife to purchase a new one. This new computer should be three times faster than my old PC. Here are the stats for each PC. The cost for my new toy was around $1300. Do you guys/gals think I paid too much?

Old Computer – HP Pavilion
    Socket A AMD Athlon 900 MHZ
    PC-133 256 RAM
    Seagate 30GB Hard-drive
    4X AGP 8MB Nvidia Video Card
    12X CDR Drive
    48X CD Rom Drive
    17” CRT Monitor
    Onboard sound card
    Windows Media Center 2004
    PS Mouse and Keyboard

New Computer – Order Parts from Tigerdirect (I am so excited)
    Socket 939 AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Deigo Processor 2.4GHZ
    PC 3200 1GB of RAM
    Maxtor 250GB Hard-drive with 16MB Cache
    PCIe 512MB DDR2 SLI Nvidia Video Card
    19” Acer LCD Monitor with Speakers
    PCIe 8 Channel Audio
    Windows Media Center 2005 with Remote Control
    16X DVD Rom Drive
    12X DVD Burner
    USB Mouse and Keyboard
    Memory Card Reader

2. Undertaker Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

This thread should be posted in Technomagic ;)

3. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Yeah but still that's an impresive machine you've got, well compared to mine at least. I wish I had a new compy. Congratulation man!

4. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Why do you need a remote for Media Player? Also, how are you playing CDs in a DVD drive?

5. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    DVDs player also read regular CDs.

6. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    I'm just not quite sure why you'd want to have Media Center on your system to begin with. But that's really up to you.

I don't think you've overpaid, the monitor by itself costs a small fortune. You probably could have gotten something cheaper and less powerful, but at least with this monster you know you won't need an upgrade for the next five years at least, and this is money saved on the long run. You could perhaps have gone for a 300Gb hard drive for a negligible price increase, but that's all right, you're going to have trouble filling up the 250Gb anyway!

Congratulations. I'm sure you're going to enjoy your system the next time you run Doom 3 on FSAA x8 and Anisotropic Filtering x8 at a flawless frame rate :)

7. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Yeah....Here's my $0.02

First off...are you buying solely off of Tigerdirect? You can find cheaper prices and sometimes free shipping on items atNewegg.com or Zip Zoom Fly. I shop at those two places the most often.

Now for your choices on your new computer...
    First, are you going to use your new computer as a 'Home Theater PC' (i.e. hooking up a larger screen or a projector to watch TV or movies)? If not, then Windows MC might not be the best choice.

Now as for your SLI video card...I'm guessing that you aim to one day have two connected together. These are video cards for gamming. If you wanted the HTPC, you should have considered one of ATI's All-in-wonder' cards. The ATI AIW Radeon X800XL, is a great card that has TV and FM tuners built in, and it can still handle the newest games.

But that's just me. :rolling:

8. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

The new one won't be three times as fast. That's the problem with those MHz/GHz ratings. Doubling the processor speed only provides a 10-15% boost in performance at best.

That said, $1300 wasn't a bad price at all.

9. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    The amount you paid sounds about right. That's pretty much the specs of a mainstream machine, at a fair price, IMO. So you should be satisfied with the results. LCD monitors are very cheap, atm. So, most of the cost you paid should be in the computer parts.

10. Abdel - Bhaal Spawn Gems: 13/31

I purchased a newer computer to do a two main things: gaming and video editing.

I have a young daughter who I hope to capture as many unique moments as possbile and with my old PC it is next to impossible to capture those moments. The old PC barely can handle the pictures and short video clips I take on my Cannon G2. I would hate to imagine how it would handle a 30 minutes video from a camcorder. My goal now is to burn DVD movies of my daugther and give them away as gifts to her grandparents for Xmass and other special occasions.

The other thing I am doing with this PC is burning shows my wife watches on TV. Yeah I forgot to order a TV Tuner, but that is only $50, so no biggie.

I am also going to make DVD slide shows from the pictures I take on my digital cameras. I lost roughly 200+ pictures of my daughter when my old computer crashed on me and I would hate to have that happen again.

If my wife doesn't mind the computer is going to be in our bedroom and act as our TV/entertainment system.

GAMING: Who doesn't want to be able to boast about a decently powerful video card, ram to handle the new games and a processor that can be over clocked from 2.2GHZ to 3.8GHZ with the right cooling fan. Of course in my $1300 package I order a high end cooling fan that should keep the CPU cool when overclocked.

The other reason why I upgraded is that the old computer just sucked. As for the Hard Drive I purchased that one over the 300GB one because it had 16MB cache vs. 8MB cache. And for me speed is everything.

11. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Yes, I have a Maxtor 250GB HD, with 16MB of cache as well, and it seems a shade faster than my old WD, 8MB SE edition drive. But the WD was a bit quieter and ran a little cooler, from what I can tell. Maxtor drives are pretty fast, but not known for reliability. Nevertheless, I have never had a problem with Maxtor drives, so I would not worry too much about losing your data.

As for the processor and video card - they will be out of date in 6 months anyway, but that's just the nature of the technology game. IMO, a computer is not really out of date until you think it is. But video cards turnover very quickly. A video card that costs $500.00 today will probably be slower than a $200.00 mainstream video card 6 months from now....

12. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    My brother had two Maxtor drives some year ago. Same model, same specs, bought at the same time. One spontaneously combusted a couple of years later, the other one is still up and running. So I guess they're pretty good. Although if you're looking for reliability I think Seagate has the best drives longevity wise. Hitachi's aren't bad, but they used to be better.

13. Tap Dancing Oyster Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Veteran

Not sure what your Video Card is - but in todays PCs they are the most expensive component. I'm guessing you got some sort of 6800 ultra. Considering the 512mb 7800gtx only came out the other day and probably costs about $700. Still a good PC - and you will easily get 3 times the speed if you look at it in terms of Frames per second you'll probably get 10 times or more. I imagine most of the other CPU intensive tasks you will do will happen much quicker too. At the end of the day an Athlon 64 3700+ not only runs at 2.5 times the speed it is also heavily optimised over an old Athlon 32 bit CPU. There are things that aren't even worth attempting on an old PC like that - like running Far Cry or Doom 3 for example.

14. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Yes, they used to be IBMs. :) But that's a whole other tale.

15. Abdel - Bhaal Spawn Gems: 13/31

Here are the exact parts I ordered. I know my graphic card is not a name brand but every where I read it was recommended considering the price of $135. My total for this package before shipping was a $1259. Not bad because I built similar systems at other websites and the price is closer to $1800+.

Motherboard – Abit AN8-V - with Abit Audiomax 8 channel audio card
    CPU – AMD 64 3700+ San Diego 2.2GHZ
    1GB of Corsair PC3200 400MHZ Ram
    Liteon DVD Burner
    Liteon DVD 16x Drive
    Maxtor EIDE 250GB Hard Drive 16MB Ultra ATA-133
    Diablotek Geforce 6600 512MB PCIe Video Card
    Windows XP Media Center with remote controller
    Acer 19” LCD with Speakers
    Aopen Black/Silver Keyboard and Optical Mouse combo
    2x Corsair 512 PC3200 400MHZ Ram
    Just 4 PC ATX Case with 425W Power Supply
    Cooler Master Vortex CPU Fan
    2x 80mm Case Fans
    20 Premium DVD Cases
    25 DVD RW Disc

16. Brallrock Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

[​IMG] You should definitely see quite a bit of speed difference with quadruple the RAM and the huge graphic card. Congratulations!!

Now to the important and most impressive part how in God's name did you talk your wife into getting a new PC? I could use a transcript of that oratorical masterpiece to try on my wife.

17. Abdel - Bhaal Spawn Gems: 13/31

Brallrock try my logic, but it only works if you have children. My wife and I had a beautiful daughter back in March and we had a old 8MM camcoder that was dropped and destroyed. Since than my wife has been wanting a new camcoder. I told her it would be to have a computer to go along with the camcoder so I could do some video editing and burn the videos on DVDs and pass them out to our parents and grandparents, etc...

My wife liked that idea and we started to check out both camcoders and computers. After about 2 months I convinced her it was cheaper to built a computer than to buy one prebuilt. So I was able to order the parts I wanted for the Computer but it took a few phone calls from a few friends who know computers to get her to trust my judgement with the purchase. After she trusted me I did my research and purchased the parts I felt would be great for video editing and gaming. That is why I went with the San Diego chip set over the venice from AMD. The San Diego is suppose to be a better CPU for Video Editing whereas the venice is the standard single chipset for basic computing. We order the computer a few days before we purchased our camcorder which is a Panasonic PV-GS19. I know it is not the most expensive DV camera they offer but it offers more than enough features for what my wife and I are going to do with the camcoder. Now the computer is suppose to last me roughly 5 years so I should be ok for most of that time, hopefully!

Forgot one thing: My new computer totally makes my old computer look like it is 50+ years old. My system now flys through window applications and averages over 50 frames on my graphic card test. Can't wait to play Fable and the new need for speeed.

[ November 25, 2005, 18:54: Message edited by: Abdel - Bhaal Spawn ]

18. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Funny, that script is similar to mine, only my computer died so I had no choice. Got a nice new Sony digital camcorder as well just in time for my son's last little league game of the fall and his upcoming party (and my daughter's party in two weeks). Burn DVD's to send to the folks off the new computer -- SWEET!!

19. Brallrock Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Camcorder for the kids aye? I will have try that one, I have three beautiful daughters 10, 3, 9 months. I would even be happy to get the OK to upgrade. I have a Dell Dim 4500 P4 1.9, 256 RAM, and an Radeon 9000 64 mb graphics card. I would like to go to 1gb RAM and a 256 Graphic card (don't care much about the beand) and add a DVD drive too maybe. I have 2 HD 16gb, and 80gb, small by new standards but I don't mess with very file intensive stuff (have 60gb left on my slave drive)

20. Abdel - Bhaal Spawn Gems: 13/31

My mobo was crap. It couldn't even read the IDE ports. I updated the bios and still no luck. After trying various things I had the IDE ports tested ($25) and they were dead. I called Tigerdirect and they shipped me out a new mobo on Monday and it should be here any minute now. Can't wait to get this system together to test it. This time I paid $10 more and ordered the AN8 for the firewire ports and told my wife to return the firewire card and cable we purchased at cicuit city. That is going to save us a little bit of money. Can't wait to get my system together and test it out.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.