1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

New ADSL modem / wlan router

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Taza, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

So, I've been looking at these.

The story: We are running out of both ports and performance regarding our old router - large transfers, youtube, image galleries and online gaming don't really mesh well, especially with a cheap $50 router.

So, the requirements.
    b/g wireless - don't care 'bout no draft-n.
    4 physical out ports - A lot of our systems don't have wifi cards.
    QoS - at the very least set the bulk traffic to low priority, preferably also up the priority for online games and HTTP.
    ADSL/ADSL2/ADSL2+ - for the actual connection.

What I've been lookin' at:
    D-Link DKT-710 - seems to have everything I want for an affordable price. Quality's not guaranteed.
    ZyXEL Prestige 660R-D1 + Linksys WRT54GL - The ZyXEL is merely the cheapest pure ADSL/ADSL2/ADSL2+ modem I found on the site I use to get stuff and the Linksys is the famed WRT54G in new form - best flashed with an alternative firmware.

Suggestions? Opinions? Experiences?

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    It shouldn't really matter which you get, I haven't heard anything particularly bad about any of them. I use an MSI router and it's been working just fine for years. Reliability usually goes up along with the price, but I haven't had any bad experiences with any of the recent low-end models either.

Years back, ZyXEL used to be the best of the best (and the most expensive) as far as modems go, but I've never actually used one. My ISP provides the modem and if it goes out, they just replace it, so I couldn't care less what they give me as it's not costing me anything. I do know that it's not very reliable though, as we're on our third one in 6 years.

3. Taza

I have up to 4 systems online at a time, and find myself sacrificing non-essential external systems to hook up a repair box / additional LAN box for a guest of my brother.

I also run heavy-duty data transfers - repairing computers tends to do that - and a box offering QoS is absolutely vital.

4. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    I currently have a Linksys WRT54G, and it's worked well so far.

I know you don't care about draft-n, but you should look in to the Linksys WRT600N. It has a 4 port GbE switch, it supports 802.11 A, B, G, and N, and has excellent QoS. I know everyone in the Wireless Networking class I'm supposed to be in this quarter, and they are messing around with 4 of those routers, and from what I hear, they are awesome.

If large file transfers are really a concern, a GbE switch should be your #1 priority...

5. Taza

GbE switches are useless for me, draft-n is useless for me, and a $400 box is so way out of budget for me.

I can use sneakernet for local transfers, but jigdo and sneakernet do not work together.

I've changed my consideration from the WRT54GL to the Buffalo Airstation WHR-HP-G54. It seems to offer all the same features plus an amplifier for the same price.

6. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Why is N useless. The draftstage is over. Sort off.

7. Taza

If I ever find g insufficient either we're way past draft-n or I can just temporarily use a wire.

Plus, I don't as it is have any devices supporting draft-n nor do I want to upgrade.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.