1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

New Ads on Thread Pages

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Taluntain, Sep 4, 2005.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Most of you have probably noticed them by now, but if not, you only need to scroll to the bottom of this post.

Adding more ads is never a popular thing to do, but as these boards have only ever had one on top since they've been opened, it shouldn't come as much of a surprise that after several years I need to add a couple more. I realize that they're quite large in size, but unfortunately the regular banner sizes pay so little at this point that it's barely worth having them up. I'll leave only the top banner on top of all the other pages, but the thread pages will also have these two ads at the bottom from now on.

SPS Account holders, of course, will not see any of these ads, provided that they are logged into their SPS accounts.

Unfortunately donations to the site have been at an all-time low for a few months now, so I'm forced to resort to putting more ads up to cover the bills.

2. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

More than worth it if it keeps SP afloat. :thumb:

QQ: Does it help if I don't log into my SPS Account? 'Cause they don't really bother me that much.

3. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Whatever keeps this up and running. The ads don't bother me either.

4. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    I haven't seen any of them yet, as I'm always logged in to my SPS account, but since they are on the bottom of the pages instead of the top...I see no problem with adding them. If you don't want to see an ad, just don't scroll all the way to the bottom of the page.

I wouldn't mind adding another year to my SPS account, but the whole loosing my job thing came as a shock, both mentally and financially. :rolling:

5. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    To be honest mate, I'd not even noticed them. Fair play to you.

6. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Oh, THOSE two, big, ugly, grey boxes are supposed to be ads! I was just beginning to wonder what they were, for they looked really ugly. Did I mention big AND ugly? I'm sure I did. :shake:

Taluntain, really, it doesn't matter how many or how you place them. People who don't want to see or click them, they will always block them like I do: Firefox, right-click, block ads. Or perhaps a separate plug-in doing it automatically. ATM, those two boxes serve only to "decorate" your site and nothing else.

That is why I recommend moving to text-based ads, like AdSense, for they aren't that intrusive. One to the header and another to the footer is a nice solution for majority of pages, I think. If not, well; it's a bit sad that the otherwise OK site must be littered with obsolete stuff...

7. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Good thing the Internet isn't full of pricks like you Wirhe, otherwise most of the sites out there would have gone under by now. I can't do anything about people who block ads, of course, but bragging about it openly here, literally in my face... that's really rich. Luckily there'll always be others here making sure your selfish ass gets to enjoy SP despite you blocking the ads.

As I've told you before, AdSense pays literally nothing for SP, been there, done that. So do me a favour and take your smartass comments somewhere else.

Felinoid, well, every ad counts, but I really don't expect SPS account holders to have to put up with them. You've already way more than covered for it with your donation.

8. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

If they just weren't smilie ads. :sick: I know you can do nothing about the content of the ads Tal, so I am not really complaining. And if this is what is required to keep the site going then how can one have any objection. Simply bemoaning the fact that yahoo (or whosoever those ads belong to) is being a prick.

Could you perhaps put them on the lighter background blue. They are just really bright and I could stand the contrast being reduced a bit.

EDIT: And that grey border simply has to go. :borg:

[ September 04, 2005, 23:58: Message edited by: Shrikant ]

9. Taluntain

Media:
    Ads are geo-targeted, so people from different locations see different ones. Which really makes it practically impossible to enforce standards on anything, because I'll always be able to see only a small fraction of the actual ads anyway.

As for the background, I might be able to make it the same colour as the lighter alternating blue here. I don't know if it'd make much difference however. But I'll check anyway.

Grey border is staying, it's a downside of our ad delivery system.

10. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I've always wondered why I got Danish adds on SP. :heh:

11. Taluntain

Media:
    If you're from Denmark, that's ok. :D

12. Taluntain

Media:
    Lighter background a gogo...

13. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    The lighter background is better. It also looks better framed and divided in two.

14. Taluntain

Media:
    This should be even better. ;)

15. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    It looks much better now! Great work Tal! :thumb:

16. jaded empath Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Veteran

*shrug*

I'm not crazy about it, but I have to approve. I really wish I had the spare $$$ to make a donation, but if it helps, I'll flip back and forth each page a couple times whenever I'm here. :D

17. Taluntain

Media:
    Still having some issues with the border on Mozilla-based browsers; working on that.

[ September 05, 2005, 01:31: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

18. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

The Great Lizard delivers!
    It's no longer that bad an eyesore now Tal. :thumb:

Anyone else feel that Tal's new avatar really helps matters. Red Dragons stopped being scary ever since BG:II and seems more accessable that the constipated elven mage. :shake:

19. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

@ Taluntain

Perhaps you misunderstood, for I certainly wasn't trying to brag, like you put it. It's the cold, hard truth no matter how little you like to hear it. Otherwise I must thank you for calling me a prick and a smartass; I will one day remember these positive words of yours and certainly cherish the memory of getting on the nerves of at least one authority -especially at those moments when I click on the ads just to donate my 2 cents. :D

But before you go and flare up again, let me say that I understand what you mean; it's not like it's easy to cough up some serious money, but I hope you understand that the door swings to both ways in this case. I, personally, don't like how richer members are being treated as "better members" than us poorer ones, but whatever. If you really want to argue about this, then PM me.

[ September 05, 2005, 02:13: Message edited by: Wirhe ]

20. olimikrig

Media:
    Is that how it works? If so, we should hold ad clicking marathons, and announce the one who've clicked the most ads within a given time space as the 'ad clicking freak of teh weak!'. He/she could even get his own little title, like 'faster than the server' or 'Lucky Luke of the Internet' :hahaerr:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.