1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Neverwinter Nights Forum Update

Discussion in 'Game/SP News & Comments' started by NewsPro, Dec 10, 2002.

1. NewsPro Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

(Originally posted by Z-Layrex)

David Gaider, Designer

Questions & Features:

Quote: - I want to make a labyrinth... (snip)

We are aware of the desire for a "no automap" function and will be looking at this in the future (whether as an update or as part of an expansion I'm not sure).

Quote: - I wish the ability to highlight objects using the TAB key could be an optional feature

This has also been asked for numerous times in the past. I, personally, find it less likely that this will happen (and even if it does, it will probably be an all-or-nothing switch at the .ini level for both players and DM's alike). It is being considered for the future, regardless.

Quote: - I really wish NWN had a turn-based combat option.

This will never happen. Look for this in a different game.

Quote: - I wish we could mix tilesets easily, by default, without having to resort to a hak pak. I want to create the Village of Hommlet module, but I can't create the ruined moat house in the swamp, because I can't mix tiles from "City Exterior" and "Rural".

You will never be able to mix different tilesets intrinsically. The ability to easily use and combine hak paks, however, is a top priority for the near future.

Quote: - Speaking of the Village of Hommlet, it would also be nice if there were "castle ruins" and "swamp" tiles to begin with (I don't want to use the "Evil Castle" tiles for something that looks more like a simple ruined castle).

New tilesets are always a possibility. They take a lot of work, however, and I believe we are restricting ourselves to the most popular requests insofar as abolsutely-new creations go. I have seen both castle ruins and swamps done with creative use of lighting, placeables and especially custom re-skinned tilesets.

Quote: - As part of the Village of Hommlet module idea, I want to create a large Inn, but I can't create my own tiles, unless I own some expensive software (3D Studio Max). How can I create my own tiles, for free?

If you don't have access to 3d Studio Max, you can always use GMax. I understand that the community has an importer for it that works quite well.

Quote: - I wish torches had a 1-hour duration and a 20' radius, as in PnP.

I'm not sure that illumination levels will be *that* controllable in the future (it's possible), but I do know that there are several popular custom scripts that establish torch useage. This is not something I see us use officially, however.

Quote: - I wish unlit dungeon areas were truly dark (pitch black) for humans, unless the PC has a torch. This absolute blackness adds to the fear factor and excitement of the game, especially when the torch burns out…

I disagree. I don't think stumbling around with pitch blackness on your screen is particularly fun, regardless of the realism. That said, I wouldn't mind seeing the ambient "light radius" being reduced... right now I think it's a bit high for humans without torches. That's not really a feature per se, however, and I'm not sure if it's even being considered for changing.

Quote: - I wish torches on the walls could be removed from their brackets and used.

I believe this has already been scripted in user modules. I'm not certain that the torch actually disappears from the sconce, but it would be a minor change... probably too cosmetic to warrant much priority from us, however.

Quote: - I wish we could be able to modify an NPC's inventory, as in Baldur’s Gate. I also wish we could have more than one NPC, as in Baldur’s Gate.

Regardless of the fact that this *isn't* Baldur's Gate and was never intended to be, I believe inventory control for henchmen is already being looked at for an expansion. There is a user mod that allows for more than one henchman, but I truly doubt that will ever be made official.

Quote: - What scale is used for outdoor areas? 10 meters to a square? What about indoor areas? If they are the same scale, realism is lost, because the standard Inn is small outside but huge inside.

Is this a request or a question? The scale has to be the same for either and this was established as a basic design decision way back when art began working on the game. To keep the tileset system functional, tiles have to be established at a certain size... try imagining how many more tiles and types of tiles would be required and how much more work would be involved for the end user if the tiles were made that much smaller. Even if those tiles were made clearer and more reliance was put on placeable objects, that still wouldn't be a good idea with this engine due to walkmesh requirements... so you won't see NWN switching scales anytime soon, I'm afraid. Were we to do another game of this type (with newer technology) perhaps this could be re-examined, I don't know. Walkmesh stuff seems to *always* be a bastard to get right.

Quote: - I wish there were automatic morale checks for monsters, where they run away, surrender (so they can be captured, knocked out, or killed), etc.

I believe all these things are scriptable. They may make it into the AI system of an expansion, however, I don't know... that's the only way it would become official, however.

Quote: - I wish the monster/NPC path-finding AI was better, so they would be able to pursue PC’s more effectively.

So would we. As I mentioned above, however, t'isn't that simple.

Quote: - I wish it was easy to set up wandering monsters, so that PC’s wouldn’t always feel completely safe resting in a dungeon.

I don't think this has been considered for official addition as a wizard or something, but it's not impossible. Regardless, I've seen several systems (and some good ones) that the community has come up with for use.

Quote: - I wish corpses didn't disappear, so you could raise dead, loot them, etc. PC’s should also be lootable – that’s the whole point of a good PvP adventure.

Corpses disappear as a default, but making that not happen is already possible via scripting, as is looting a PC.

Quote: - I wish terrain contours were more gradual (realistic), like Myth or Dungeon Siege.

Yet neither Myth nor Dungeon Siege have a tileset system that the user can use to lay down maps in an easy fashion. Can't have it both ways, although I have seen some community solutions that make the hills at least a bit more rounded which is pretty nice.

Quote: - I wish the game had mounted animals (horses, griffons, etc.)

Well, if wishes were horses, that would apparently be possible. Don't bet on it.

Quote: - I wish monsters used magic items in their inventory during combat (I’m not sure about this, but they might already do this).

I believe they do this, to a limited extent. Having them use more and be smarter is something that expansion AI scripts will develop.

Quote: - I wish the game had better 3D aspects, a staple of any good module, such as:
    -- Monsters or PCs could fall, or be knocked, off cliffs, into pits, etc.
    -- The ability to jump over crevices, etc. (roll vs. DEX)
    -- Pit traps -- Swimming
    -- Flying, levitation
    -- Attack from above (spiders or rats jumping down from rafters or walls)

Unfortunately, this kind of z-axis stuff is something you will only ever see in a sequel, if there is one. We're talking about a whole new graphics engine, here.

Quote: - I wish there were illusionary walls.

Possible, through placeable objects. Seeing as their use would be pretty specific depending on the tileset they're being used in, I'm not certain it's something we would try to do... but you never know.

Quote: - I wish giants could throw boulders.

All they'd need is animations for a ranged attack. I think I heard someone here talking about grenade-like weapons for an expansion, so who knows?

Quote: - When I click on a chest, my NPC rogue (Tomi Undergallows) doesn't always move into position to unlock the chest.

Yes. And? Not much I can really tell you about this one. It'd be awfully nice if we could tweak that to work just right all the time, sure.

Quote: - I wish that lockpick attempts would sometimes fail, but allow time to be spent trying anyway.

The option to remove the automatic "take 20" on skills has been requested and is being considered for the future.

Quote: - I wish I could select the exact appearance of a tile, rather than having to cycle through them by repeatedly pressing the Delete key.

That would be nice, yes. I'm not sure it can change at this point, though.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2018
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.