1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Neverwinter Nights Forum Update

Discussion in 'Game/SP News & Comments' started by NewsPro, Nov 23, 2001.

1. NewsPro Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

(Originally posted by Tiamat)

Trent Oster, Producer:

NWN Demo Leaking:
    If a demo of NWN got out I would find the person who leaked it and wear their skin for an overcoat (it gets cold up here and good leather is hard to come by). Everyone here still has skin, so the demo rumours must be false.

NWN Compatibility: I'm not sure of the Open GL support for the Voodoo cards, as 3DFX is no longer with us. When we get a Voodoo rig in the compatability lab I'll have a better idea.
    With the TNT2, you will have to turn some graphic details down, but the game will be quite playable. (I've seen it run on a TNT 1, without much optimizing).

Bob McCabe, Writing & Design:

Stats:
    The stats depend on the class to some degree, because your stats are bumped up to reach the class minimums. When I made my paladin in BG2, I re-rolled two times. I had a 91 for total points.
    In BG1, I rolled, on my first try for my fighter/thief, a 97. Books bumped that up a little
    I won't spend more than a few re-rolls on that, though. For the most part, I think the stats are mostly meaningless.

Stacking Haste Effects: Any haste or speed effect will not stack. Don't worry about Monks, with the feats they have a monk will be a very tough character.

Racial Enemy: Rangers may not select "humanoid" or "outsider" as a favored enemy, but they may select a more narrowly defined type of humanoid (such as goblinoids, humans, or reptilian humanoids)...
    (A ranger can only select his own race as a favored enemy if he is evil.)

Attribute Points: Attribute points will cost more as they increase, as some people have mentioned (i.e. it costs more to go from 17 to 18 than it would from 8 to 9).
    Re-thinking the attributes is kind of tricky, because it is a bit of a change. I find myself having difficulty thinking through the level system, where D&D now scales up to level 20 in a more balanced manner. I'm so used to campaigns where you spent forever just getting to level 8, and then retired.

Canadians Playing Bards: I play a bard in a pencil & paper game run by Preston "The Law" Watamaniuk, as I've mentioned before on the Black Isle boards.
    I really enjoy my bard, and think she's about the best character I've come up with in a while. I haven't taken the leadership feat, and never would (with her).
    I don't want to give away too much of her character (other players from that game check these boards), but she's basically a tinkerer - she wants to figure out how things are put together, and how they work, so she can relate it to some grander scheme (that I can't talk about).
    In a sense, she's played more like a sorcerer, but she's using those sorcerer abilities to help her figure out the way things work. Because she's so caught up in figuring things out, she doesn't spend a lot of time in combat, and basically couldn't care less for it.
    She's extremely charismatic, but she's a manipulator - again, she uses her charms, her persuasions, her bardic abilities for the most part to get information from people so she can learn more and figure out more of the way things are. This isn't evil or good, it's just her own desire.
    All her skill points go into stuff like Spellcraft and the Knowledge skills.
    Anywho, like I said, she's a lot of fun to play. But obviously, a lot of her character wouldn't work the same way in P&P as it would in a CRPG like Neverwinter Nights. Gather Information, for example, is a skill that tells you that basically, after a day of research, you learned this or that. In Neverwinter Nights, you would actively go to each of those people in the area and speak with them, using your charm and Persuasion to gain information from them.
    Oh well. I don't want to get into a discussion on how the classes balance against each other or anything like that right now (too busy), so I'll sign off with that.
    So, the simple answer - yes, there is someone in Canada who is playing a 3rd Edition bard.

David Chan, Audio Producer:

Xbox:
    On a PC title you can only invest so much time into the whiz bang features because only a small number of people will be able to use them. Whereas on the Xbox you know exactly what features everyone has on the graphics side so you can use all the bells and whistles if you want. This is why a console game can look better in some ways than a PC game.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2018
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.