1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Neverwinter Nights Forum News

Discussion in 'Game/SP News & Comments' started by NewsPro, Jun 3, 2004.

1. NewsPro Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

(Originally posted by chevalier)

Here are today's BioWare forum highlights, collected by NWVault. Please take into account that these are only single parts of various threads and should not be taken out of context. Bear in mind also that the posts presented here are copied as-is, and that any bad spelling and grammar does not get corrected on our end.

Jay Watamaniuk, Community Manager

02 Jun 2004 - NWN Profile: The Persistent World Of Avlis
    Yup- sorry about the spanking of the servers. I forgot to give a warning to the fine, fine folks of Avlis that they can expect some traffic on the day the profile goes up...and...ahem...that would be today.

Rob Bartel, Senior Designer

Digital Distribution (aka pay-per-download) Discussion v3.0 - What Kinds of Modules?
    To be honest, we consider our NWN Digital Distribution plans to be research and development for future Live Team activities on Dragon Age and beyond. NWN has proven to be a great platform for us to learn from. We'll develop the DD system and infrastructure for NWN, learning all we possibly can from it and working out all of the kinks well in advance so we can hit the ground running when it comes time to support our own intellectual property.

See how sneaky we are?
    Rob Bartel
    Senior Designer
    BioWare Community Live Team

Georg Zoeller, Designer

Patch 1.63
    Hi, let me try to clear this up:

---------------
    Tick tock tick tock... I remember reading back in Arpil that "It would be out in a few weeks"...
    ---------------

We do not give estimated release dates anymore because people always remember they read a promised release date somewhere a while later. It "could" be a few weeks is probably what you read, and as you can see, that didn't happen. The patch will be released when it is done, which will hopefully (but not promised) be at some point this month.

---------------
    Being logical I think Bioware had pretty much pulled out of NWN and may only have 1 or 2 guys working on this part time at most. Probably working on their new game at the same time.So begin the demise of NWN... player base is way down lately... people are moving on, the company is moving on...I don’t blame Bioware.. it is a matter of economics and they are not making $$$ on NWN anymore by and large, support is probably an extra cost at that. Cut costs, raise profit.
    ---------------

The full Live Team is working on NWN related projects right now. They even got a full time technical designer addition to their team, so no, we are all but pulling out of NWN. When patch 1.63 is out, you will probably understand why it took that long.Also, keep in mind that March - May are the "demo" season in the gaming industry, with GDC and E3 being two very important shows in a short timespan. A lot of people, including Live Team members, where involved in those - and these things definitly impact patch release (among other things).

Problem With Cheaters
    Patch 1.63 will have a good share of security related fixes. Sorry but it is our policy not to discuss those in detail. As for people using a different model on your server, a simple GetAppearance check against the valid PC appeareances on login can take care of that.

No Neverwinter Nights2
    Dragon Age will be using the "Dragon Age Engine". There is already a thread on this topic on the main page. Click Here so I'm closing this one down.

Will be new Expansion or NWN2?
    While there are no plans for another NWN Expansion, the Live Team is working on our Digital Distribution project for NWN (see the Witch's Wake forum for more details). You can find more information on our next PC RPG Dragon Age here: http://www.bioware.com/games/dragon_age/

1.63 patch bug fixes

---------------
    Any word on the GetFirst*(), GetNext*() scripting bugs? Apparently the pointer used for them would get corrupted and it caused much strange behavior. It would be most helpful if it were to be fixed soon.
    ---------------

The pointer for those scripting commands would get corrupted if you apply an undelayed damage effect to a creature while running a GetFirst/GetNext loop. As far as I know all instances of that have been fixed in our scripts and Craig was looking into a gameside fix as well.

1.63 patch bug fixes

---------------
    I hope the "bow bug," where anyone wielding a bow can see stealthed and invisible characters, is fixed in this patch but I didn't see a mention of it.
    ---------------

Yes, it has been fixed

Peter Thomas, Designer

NPCs in your Party?
    Well, yeah, anyone with proficiency axe can use it, but he starts with that, and is a fighter, so he can max it out. But since his con is 20, you end up with a mad, grand master, regenerating, axe-wielding dwarf... who can hit you from quite a ways away with a returning magic axe... Maybe it just struck a cord with me.

The only problem with him was cause I was playing a good party (and he's evil), so he kept trying to break up with my group... but I autosaved often, so it was pretty easy to go back to just before he tried, and whatever variable was keeping track of it would reset, so he'd stay the whole game.

NPCs in your Party?
    It's been so long since I played... hm...

My party was...
    Me (fighter/mage/cleric)
    Jaheira
    Imoen
    Kagain
    Xan
    and I think Khalid, but I dumped him and went back for Viconia later

Basically, I found the skills of these people didn't really matter at the end, except I needed a thief and lots of wands... so I picked the women. I kept Xan because... er... well his personality, plus I wanted a second real spellcaster and I had had him around forever... I kept Kagain, because he's the best fighter in the game. Period. 20 Con makes everything better. If you have the expansion he's even better because he gets a great magic throwing axe.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2018
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.