1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Neverwinter Nights Forum News

Discussion in 'Game/SP News & Comments' started by NewsPro, Jun 22, 2004.

1. NewsPro Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

(Originally posted by chevalier)

Here are today's BioWare forum highlights, collected by NWVault. Please take into account that these are only single parts of various threads and should not be taken out of context. Bear in mind also that the posts presented here are copied as-is, and that any bad spelling and grammar does not get corrected on our end.

Robin Mayne, Webmaster

Is there any update on this post?
    Hey Durian, We still have plans to add news feeds, which will most likely be implemented with some other news system related updates we have scheduled for the fall.

Georg Zoeller, Designer

Some basic (?) 2da Questions ...
    All des_* .2da files only need to be available on the server.

AI Update Time Overflow...
    This message comes up when the game is unable to process all outstanding AI related actions (read: scripts) because AI/scripts are taking up more execution time than they have been assigned to. Note that the object that has triggered this message is most likely not the culprit, it's just at the bottom of the AI_LEVEL table and can't get enough time to run it's AI because other objects already burned all AI time available for the current frame. It's likely a complex action such as pathfinding (moveto) that is causing this, i.e. when it is run on a loop (WalkWaypoints in crowded terrain comes to my mind). It can be partially helpful to reduce the AI_LEVEL on creatures doing stuff like randomwalk or walkwaypoints.

Tile Magic?? How?
    I would create my own AoE object by adding a new entry to the areaofeffect.2da file. With the correct values in there you can probably create a large AoE object that consistently spawns fog VFX without getting a too big framerate drop.

Controversial features -- bit of a rant

---------------
    The problem I see with swimming and flying is that it becomes impossible to build modules that have natural barriers defining their boundries. Leaving those two things, and climb, out was actually very very very wise. As to the rest: The degree of customizeability we've had since HotU is beyond anything I think most of us were even dreaming of about a year and a half ago when this whole thing started. Most of the addons people are making, like, couldn't even be done.
    ---------------

For swimming there is an easy answer: shallow and "deep" water and you can only swim in shallow water. Ultima 9 did this pretty well.

Modules larger than 16x16 ?

---------------
    Georg, If 500 areas for a PW is not recommended, then what is the ammount of areas that bioware recommends for PW? Say that the majority of the areas are 10x12, some at 8x8 and some smaller. Care to enlighten us with your infinite wisdom? v
    ---------------

BioWare does not recommend using NWN for PWs because it is not intended to be used as such and thus not supported. Personally I would split my module before approaching more than 100 areas.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2018
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.