1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Neverwinter Nights Forum News

Discussion in 'Game/SP News & Comments' started by NewsPro, May 15, 2004.

1. NewsPro Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

(Originally posted by chevalier)

Here are today's Neverwinter Nights forum highlights. Please take into account that these are only single parts of various threads and should not be taken out of context. Bear in mind also that the posts presented here are copied as-is, and that any bad spelling and grammar does not get corrected on our end.

Georg Zoeller, Designer

Heartbeat script: A heartbeat script fires roughly every 6 seconds, but will go slower if your computer can't keep up. Spells do not rely on the module heartbeat. A celeron 450 is below the minspecs, even if you run only the dedicated server, so this behavior is to be expected

Constants: Constants (const keyword) are compiled where they are used, it's not that the compiler is reserving memory for all the constants you declared in your include files and don't use, they are just replaced with their respective values when the script is being compiled. Global variables however will take up memory, even if you don't use them as far as I know, yet another reason not to use them and instead go for constants. All in all Rich is right, compiling a script that uses functions from an include file will cause only the functions you actually used to be compiled into the file. Include files have no impact on a a scripts behavior / performance profile when executed in the game.

Tileset limit: The limit is going to be raised in the next patch. However, be advised that it is a bad idea to use that many tilesets, as each different tileset you use will be a hefty hit on the server. Splitting your module(s) and linking them with portals is the way to go.

Shifters: The polymorph system used for the shifter does not allow for the memorized spells of a character being cast. I substitued those spells with creature abilities and stat modifications to make the shifter balanced for the official campaign, and I think that was fairly successful. I would have liked to have full spellcasting ability for shifters in epic levels, but it was not possible in HotUs scope and I do not think we will see it in the future. I would consider queueing up actions to do things you can not do otherwise "exploiting an engine glitch".

I don't think it's a big problem however because
    a) The application is fairly limited and heavily depending on the world/server you are playing.
    b) PvP balance is a non issue for me
    c) It's easy to fix.
    d) I don't care about min/maxing, that's a valid way of having fun with the game and up to the server operator/DM to regulate.

I will probably put that ClearAllActions in the script for an upcoming patch because I am worried about possible other implications queuing up actions that are not allowed in polymorphed mode could have.

Rob Bartel, Co Lead Designer

Witch's Wake: Agreed. It's their gameworld and, in many cases, their prominent characters that we're working with. BioWare has benefitted greatly from the D&D license over the years and, without it, we wouldn't be where we are today. Yes, it may be frustrating dealing with the requested changes sometimes but that just comes with the territory. BioWare is fortunate enought to be in a position now where the costs of working with someone else's IP are beginning to outweigh the benefits (in other words, we feel people are now buying our games more b/c of the 'BioWare' name than the 'D&D' or 'Star Wars' names). We feel we have something to offer in developing our own IP and it frees us up to do some innovative things that wouldn't have otherwise been possible.

David Gaider, Designer

Marketing:

Quote: That may be true and I wish Bioware the best with any new IP but, as you probably know, there is a reason why D&D has been played in one form or another for the past 30 yrs where as most rpgs created in its wake have come and gone. Although I do associate the Bioware name with quality products, I have still not bought the highly-rated KotOR (and I am a Star Wars fan) nor will I buy an X Box for Jade Empire. As a crpg fan (the only games I really play), there is something about the depth of the D&D world that is not easily duplicated let alone improved upon.

I don't think anyone can deny that D&D comes with a built-in audience... and that's good. The bad part is that it also comes along with a lot of baggage. We aren't saying that the Bioware name is anywhere near as recognizeable as D&D, but it might get our IP noticed... noticed enough to make a start and build on it so that maybe a few games down the line that IP will have enough depth and be so well-tested and known that it carries it's own built-in audience. If the fact that we're known for these types of games gives our IP a shot, the benefits of success make it foolish not to try.

Further:

Quote: From a fan's perspective, I would prefer more D&D; the surface has barely been scratched.

I don't disagree. I happen to be a fan of D&D, myself. Certain parties have made it very clear, however, that where we'd like to take D&D is not where they'd like it to go. Sad though it may be, a point has to come where you have to realize that a fundamental difference in vision exists and that going your own way is the only way you get to do things the way you think they ought to be done. For those people who intend to stick to D&D through thick and thin, I certainly wish them well and hope they enjoy any future D&D games that are to come. I don't for a second believe, however, that good fantasy gaming has to start and end within the scope of D&D. If so... well, from where I'm sitting, that would be kind of sad.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2018
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.