1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Neverwinter Nights Forum News

Discussion in 'Game/SP News & Comments' started by NewsPro, Oct 5, 2003.

1. NewsPro Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

(Originally posted by Veldrin)

Here are today's Neverwinter Nights forum highlights. Please take into account that these are only single parts of various threads and should not be taken out of context. Bear in mind also that the posts presented here are copied as-is, and that any bad spelling and grammar does not get corrected on our end.

Georg Zoeller, Designer

Tilesets: There are no plans to modify existing tilesets with Hordes of the Underdark. Adding new tiles to existing tilesets would require us to make this content available to all NWN versions in a patch, not just the people who bought Hordes and things that affect all versions of NWN are part of the Live Teams job. Yes, it was done in SoU and it caused some ugly problems... I won't rule out future tileset modifications, but these would have to be done by the Live Team.

Pale Master: I would suggest playing a pale master for that purpose, you'll get to see lots of different undead followers as you get more and more powerful. I'm sure the web team will have a nice feature page about that prestige class sooner or later.

Quote: Will the Pale Master get a choice as to what kind of undead minion to have, or will it just depend on level?

By the rulebook its changing through levels.

David Gaider, Designer

Editing Character Bio: No, an on/off toggle is not an option, as I have said previously elsewhere. Features are not so easy to isolate and toggle like that and changes to the GUI (or new GUIs) are expensive, zot-wise. This applies as well to specifying just the Biography editing. The feature as it was prior to limbo was easy because we just enabled a player to go back to the character detailing that is already done at character creation... same GUI, same everything. If you'll recall, the Biography is on the same GUI page as the Name, Deity, Age and Voiceset. Doing up a new GUI that takes out the other parts besides Biography may not be possible. Beyond that, however, I don't know what the status is on this feature. Limbo means that most likely unless someone gets some time to address this properly and the fix won't take time out of the schedule the feature will likely be cut. But we'll see.

Quote: So, given BioWare's attitude towards quality and perfection, (You guys just don't do something unless it can be done well. At least that's why you say we still don't have cloaks ^-^)

No, we don't do cloaks because we don't have time to do them well and we really don't see the point in doing crappy ones on purpose. It's one thing to try to achieve something quality and have it not turn out than to know you're not going to achieve that quality in the first place. Does a policy of not setting out to make crap make sense to you or would you prefer to make another sarcastic comment?

Quote: Are the holes on the bottoms of old tilesets getting filled in for HotU since the camera comes unlocked by default now? You'd hate to have those ugly old missing polys now, wouldn't you?

No, the old tilesets are not being changed. Yes, I imagine it is a bit annoying for the artists though I understand it is not very noticeable... and for those who like to customize the camera angle to that point it's probably worth it.

Quote: Also, I'm still curious about wands in HotU. Since magic items all need to be equipped to be used, does this mean that wands will finally be equippable? (Since they already have the models.) I've never liked wands being used while nestled safely deep in a rucksack.

I don't think so. There was actually a reason for disabling the equipping of wands, but I'll be damned if I can remember what it is at the moment. I'll check on this just in case it's changed for HotU, however (on Monday).

Quote: 1. World map and area map views(more than 1 section at a time).

No. There's nothing in the engine to support this.

Quote: 2. Non-scripted wilderness adventuring with varied wandering monsters and random encounters (non-plot friendlys and hostiles).

I'm assuming you mean BG2-like encounters where you meet stuff while traveling. Well, without a world map you're not going to have these, are you? As it is, using the built-in Encounter system is pretty non-scripted.

Quote: 3. Mounted adventuring such as: horses, camels, dragons, wyvern, pegasai, etc.

No, there's nothing like this in NWN, nor can there be without a proper Z-axis.

Quote: 4. Choices for societal rank land and property ownership.

Err... with the right module and scripting, sure, but it certainly isn't an inherent feature in the game.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2018
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.