1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Neverwinter Nights Forum News

Discussion in 'Game/SP News & Comments' started by NewsPro, Aug 7, 2003.

1. NewsPro Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

(Originally posted by Veldrin)

Here are today's Neverwinter Nights forum highlights. Please take into account that these are only single parts of various threads and should not be taken out of context. Bear in mind also that the posts presented here are copied as-is, and that any bad spelling and grammar does not get corrected on our end.

Georg Zoeller, Designer

2DA Script Functions: Write2DAString will not happen. This opens the danger of destroying data in existing 2da files and has a lot of security implications.

Unfortunatelly there are always risks involved with file i/o code (more o than i). Plus, your module still could overwrite files created by another builder#s modules. I do not think there will be any file i/o for nwscript ... ever

Dual Server Portal Problems: With 2 ips, a properly setup IP masquerading / packet forwarding between the interfaces could help. Have you tried using snort (www.snort.org) to dump the network traffic. From what I gather nobody yet has been able to find out/send in the actual packet that is crashing the server. Snort can be very powerful when it comes to logging or even blocking packets matching certain rules.

Quote: Throughout the various threads I keep reading about players bieng able to purchase numerous items from the merchants. I have played the game to end once, and now am in the middle of Chapter one one again (with a new character) yet I have not been able to find enough gold or items (to sell) which would allow me to purchase much of anything. What is the secret?

Sell other items .. especially trapkits or magic arrows can make good money

Quote: Could one modify this spell script to throw the placeable boulders? Could our giants then be able to toss rocks? I had a look at the spells 2da and it had something called toss_debris or something like that and it was using the kobold jumper script.

I guess you would have to add another line to visualeffects.2da with the boulder model in it, but otherwise, yes.

Quote: A function that indicating how fast a creature is moving. A function to allow RETRAPPING of placeables.

While retrapping is not possible at the moment, it is now possible to create a new trapped version of the container via CreateObject. A bug that prevented traps from being found on an object created at runtime was fixed lately.

Quote: How about a function for determining used scripts in a module for easy weeding out of old, unused scripts?

In the Build Module screen you have an option to show "unused objects and scripts"

Al Schilling, Product Manager

Mac Installtion Problems: Just a reminder-if you are having problem with NWN Mac, please report it to MACSOFT tech support. Bioware is not responsible for support of the Mac version. (763)231-8050 or support@macsoftgames.com. We have had about 12 reports of problems with the installer. We're not sure why this is happening since we are simply using a licensed commercial installer product. However, if you do have a problem, just double-click on the installer on disk 2 and run it again. It should take a few minutes for the disk 2 installer to complete. This has worked in 100% of the reported cases. Enjoy the game!

Derek French, Live Team Producer

Bug Autoresponders: Hi there. Yes, there are occasionally an issue where the autoresponder may fail to send out an e-mail. While this is highly annoying to you and I, it does not mean we did not get your e-mail. Whether or not you get an autoresponse from an e-mail server has no bearing whatsoever on our game programmers fixing bugs. Over here - e-mail server. Over there - game programmers. See? Two totally different things.

David Gaider, Designer

Archaeology Overlaod: I think it's only a recurrent theme because the "unearthing of ancient ruins" is a recurrent them that has come up in both stories. Who else unocovers ancient ruins, after all? The group in the SoU prelude, however, was actually more of a bunch of wizards looking for items of power who told the locals they were archeologists because it seemed more acceptable. But that's splitting hairs, more or less.

HotU Henchmen: No, there will not be full henchmen control in HotU. Monkeys will fly out of my butt, first, before that happens. Giant ones, with poison fangs. But, yes, there will be the option to tell your henchmen not to cast any spells until you say otherwise.

Spell Casting Prestige Classes: Don't get your hopes up for this. Like I mentioned once before, a possible solution is being worked on. It may come to pass, however, that the solution comes too late for us to actually implement these types of PrC's in the expansion... in which case the solution would benefit any community-made PrC's. But it's far from definite, anyway, so really I can't comment further.

Quote: All I am saying is that I would "like" to see a XP that was Oc based not Builder based. So then they could have a long and in depth OC. But I would all so like to win the lotto.

Exactly. Me, I want a pony.

Quote: Matthew20 : I think one of the devteam called the SP a "necessary evil".

Ack! Ack! Ack! Misquoted again! The indignity! I said think of the SP as a necessary evil if you must, but it is necessary. We all know that the SP is what's the driving force behind sales for the game. MP, however, cannot be denied and is a fundamental part of both what NWN is all about as well as its future longevity.

Quote:Visceral Doom: Visceral Doom Well, it is obvious that Mr. Gaider and crew don't care about making a game that the fanbase they garnered with past games would like.

Not true. Not every game we make will appeal to the same target audience in exactly the same way. There will always be some crossover, but not everyone's going to be happy with some aspects of what we make. Tough. If we make another long and liesurely single-player game in the future, there will be just as many hard-noses crying about the lack of a toolset and multiplayer, saying we had abandoned them forever. At that point I say tough, too.

Quote: Fast advancement, mostly hack and slash stories, uber l3wt freely given, and so forth is a great model to make a Diablo-clone.

Why must all these things go together? Why are all these things so terrible? Just because HotU will have fast advancement automatically means it is mostly hack and slash and has freely-given uber lewt? At any rate, I'll not convince you of anything, and that's fine. You're free to maintain your opinion. I do suggest you pay attention to my message, however.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2018
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.