1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Neverwinter Nights Forum News

Discussion in 'Game/SP News & Comments' started by NewsPro, Jul 3, 2003.

1. NewsPro Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

(Originally posted by Veldrin)

Here are today's Neverwinter Nights forum highlights. Please take into account that these are only single parts of various threads and should not be taken out of context. Bear in mind also that the posts presented here are copied as-is, and that any bad spelling and grammar does not get corrected on our end.

Georg Zoeller, Designer

2DA Files: You can add cols to 2da files and and use them via Get2DAString, but I really would discourage you to do that as your hakpak will break with any future update from bioware. It is easier to create a new brand 2da, prefix it with your name and put it into your hakpak, something like dem_xxx.2da (max 16 chars in name). This not only makes it safe for future updates from bioware but also decreases the chance that somebody creates a 2da with the same name. Actually the design department uses quite a few 2da's specific to design (i.e. no game engine functionality) prefixed with des_ in HotU, so you may want to avoid this prefix too. I use MSAccess to edit the 2das (because it allows batch updates via SQL), other peoples use Excel. I can give you a short rundown on how to write your own import filter to get 2das into Access if you want (there are a few transformations to make).

David Gaider, Designer

Epic Levels: As far as epic levels go, I really doubt that we'll avoid having to implement them in XP2. Nothing is final, of course, but the numbers behind the demand for epic levels simply can't be ignored, no matter how much some of us might like to. As for community content being included, this is an old argument that we've gone over many times in the custom content forum... I really don't have the willpower to hash it out again. It's Canada Day, after all, and I was out until 5 am this morning. Raspberry-flavored wine is very yummy, incidentally. The short of it is this: there *is* some great stuff out there, community-wise, yep. It is not, however, as if the community does not have access to this stuff. They do. Incorporating the best into an expansion would be a matter of convenience and better distribution at best... which is still nothing to swing a dead cat at, mind you, but it comes with legal risks that we can't ignore. Some, in their wide-eyed optimism, think it would be really neat-o if Bioware would take that risk anyway and plunge headlong into it. Not so simple... especially when we have third parties to consider, as well (WotC? Hasbro? Anyone remember them? Big, conservative corporations with multiple vice-presidents where "risk" is a dirty, dirty word?). If it was only our decision, then things would likely be different. Bioware *is* looking at its options with regards to community content. It never will be, however, as simple a matter as us grabbing files from NWVault and throwing them onto the expansion disk and saying "here you go!". Whew. And that was the short version. I need a margarita.

I think you may be over-reacting a bit, here. I'm no fan of Epic Levels myself, but you have the same option of keeping someone who is level 30 out of your module as you do someone who is level 20 or even level 10. This is nothing new. The simple ability for PC's to progress past level 20 does not mean that a gun is suddenly held to a mod-maker's head to put this in their mod or allow progression past this point. I know that a simple "requires SoU" toggle is going into the toolset in the next patch... most likely a "requires HotU" toggle will go in for HotU, as well. That way if you want to make a module that uses neither of these things, you won't need to (nor do you have to at the moment, the process is just a bit more complex). Beyond that, however, I'm not sure what you mean about the SoU expansion being mandatory. Beyond wanting your game experience expanded, is there some other reason that you're being actually forced to go out and buy SoU that I'm unaware of? What guerilla marketing tactics are you referring to?

Quote: I think it will be a pretty mandatory expansion if people using Epic Levels can join your games.

But if you don't want people with Epic Levels to join your games, there's no reason you have to. As you pointed out yourself, there's already a level range filter in local vault games. And in server vault games, the character is made on that server anyhow. All you need at that point is scripting on a server vault game to retire a character at level 20 or take away any XP they gain over a certain amount so they will never advance... and that's only if the server has HotU anyhow.

Quote: I could be wrong, but I think the current system simply doesn't allow higher level players to join your module, which is far from an ideal solution for server vaults.

I've already explained above that I don't believe there's a problem. If there is one, I'd like to know what you believe it to be.

Quote: Also, what other things do you think you will be doing with HotU? I believe it was stated that Epic Levels would take most of an expansion's zots, so I assume you will either do a poor implementation of Epic Levels to satisfy the demand or you will simply not include much else.

Epic Levels would take a fair amount of design zots and a large chunk of programming zots. So, yes, as far as programming is concerned there isn't much wiggle room. There is still art resources available, however. And, regardless, if we don't feel that there's enough in the expansion we'll likely put more in it. "Epic Levels!" may make a good bullet point, but it won't look so hot all by its lonesome.

Quote: As to the clothing debate, I think the nearest we'll see from Bioware on that is...oh...I dunno...SetAppearance()? *puppy dog eyes*:look:

Yes, I believe a SetAppearance command is planned. But not guaranteed.

HoU Voicesets: I believe there are plans for a few more PC voice-sets. Personally, I know a few general types which we certainly do not need. Another gruff male fighter-ish voice, for example. Or another strident female cleric-cum-Victorian noblewoman. Having at least one voiceset which could pass as a halfling or gnome would be nice. That's what I'm recommending, anyhow.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2018
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.