1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Neverwinter Nights Forum News

Discussion in 'Game/SP News & Comments' started by chevalier, Sep 8, 2004.

1. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Here are today's Neverwinter Nights forum highlights, collected by NWVault. Please take into account that these are only single parts of various threads and should not be taken out of context. Bear in mind also that the posts presented here are copied as-is, and that any bad spelling and grammar does not get corrected on our end.

Georg Zoeller, Designer

What's the latest word on the WW series?

Q: Is it recommended to go ahead and play WW, or wait until the remastered version is completed?
    I had heard that it was dead all together. I hope not, I liked it!
    You heard wrong, thankfully

NPC Pathfinding with PCs no in the Area
    As soon as the PC leaves the area, the AI time for all creatures in the areas is greatly reduced. Compex pathfinding operations will fail, often with a "AI Time overflow message", which means that the MoveToPoint command on the creature took more time than available on the timeslice for low priority creatures. You can override this behavior by using SetAILevel, however I do not recommend it, it's wasted CPU time since nobody sees it anyway. I'd rather have the creature teleport from waypoint to waypoint instead of walking while nobody is in the area. Especially the WalkWaypoint script could be cheaper if someone patched it to teleport if no PC is in the area instead of trying to pathfind (ActionMoveTo) and most likely fail.

To give you an idea how the whole AI time thing works and why it is a bad idea to have a lot of creatures run higher AI than they should, the system is built like this (simplified) <SNIPPED>
    if t reaches 0 before all objects have been looped and all commands been run, you get a AI TIME OVERFLOW message for that object. This also explains why the AI time overflow usually seems to appear on random objects, because the object that's triggering is not necessarily the object that ate up the AI time, it just happened to be the first object that didn't have time left to run it's pending actions this AI cycle. As soon as those messages appear, you know that the stuff you are doing in the game takes up more CPU time each AIFrame than the game allows for AI.

More:

The way I worked around this a couple years ago in my waypoint code (which I would recommend taking a look at in a few days, after I upload the update that I'm working on) is using ActionForceMoveToObject. The last parameter of ActionForceMoveToObject specifies a "timeout" -- i.e. after that amount of time, if the NPC still hasn't reached its destination, then it's simply jumped there. I make a check to see if there is a PC in the same area as the NPC. If there is, I use a 60 second timeout. If there's no PC in the area, I use only 20 seconds. I suppose you could just use ActionMoveToObject if a PC is in the area, but I'm paranoid--I'd rather ensure that the NPC will definitely make it to his next waypoint, rather than ensure that a PC will never see the NPC "jump".
    This will still eat up time for pathfinding, and actually quite a bit as it's retrying to pathfind until timeout happens. For something you can't really see, this is a bit luxury one could say.

Poisoning weapons

I know, but I rather thought of it from a customizing viewpoint.
    The poison itself is dependend on the tag of the poison vial you are using. It's a scripted system and server operators/module creators can add new poisons fairly easily.

X2_S_PM_Special_Item

Is there a way to modify the summons that some of the other classes have as well?
    No, pale master only

[ September 08, 2004, 17:46: Message edited by: chevalier ]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2018
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.