1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Neverwinter Nights Forum News

Discussion in 'Game/SP News & Comments' started by chevalier, Sep 8, 2004.

1. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Here are today's Neverwinter Nights forum highlights, collected by NWVault. Please take into account that these are only single parts of various threads and should not be taken out of context. Bear in mind also that the posts presented here are copied as-is, and that any bad spelling and grammar does not get corrected on our end.

Georg Zoeller, Designer

Keyword Driven Dialogue (Alpha Version)

Question Georg...I'm at an impasse here. At least until 1.64 is released. Just how much faster will 2DA read/writes be in 1.64? Because if I only load the 2DA patterns once, the server admin won't be able to swap out 2DA's while the server is running and change the NPC's patterns and responses on the fly. So I'm wondering if it'll be feasible to reload the patterns every time a PC initiates dialogue with the NPC or if there's a way to determine in game, if a 2DA has been changed.
    It's faster, but you can just create a "reload 2da" script to force a reload by the server admin if that whole thing concerns you :) Or add a version stamp in the first cell of the 2da and see if that has changed, through the reload all method would be more convenient.

"Item Lost" I dont want you to know that!
    Unfortunately it is not possible to remove this message, sorry.

Newbe FAQ #2
    A top 10 list of tools and resources I consider "essentials" for NWN Scripting.Click Here

all disc's
    If you just want to play NWN, you need only NWN.
    If you want to play SoU you need NWN and SoU
    If you want to play HotU you need NWN and HotU
    If you want to play on a server that uses content from both expansion packs, you need NWN, SoU and HotU.

Undeath to Death TMI bug
    Undeath to Death contains several loops in order to function like described in the D&D source material (i.e. kill weakest enemies first) - It just doesn't support so many creatures. If you need it work for such a large number of creatures, you need to modify the spellscript to work a bit less close to the rules and a bit less taxing on your server CPU.

AI problems

I like AI in that you dont have to micromanage so much, but sometimes my henchman charges an eemy that would kill them in an instant, with no regard for their life, and theres no actual way I can call them back or away.. no retreat command
    Yes there is. Granted, you can't tell them to "retreat" while you stay in the thick of battle, but you can:
    • Press v e e for voicechat "Follow me", which will make your followers stop whatever else they're doing (like combat) to go to you.
    • Press v w x for voicechat "Hold", which will make your followers stay put where they are even if they spot enemies.
    • Press v w e for voicechat "Attack", which will cause your followers to attack nearby enemies.
    Once you've used these quickchats for a little bit, the key combinations become second nature and you can give commands instantly. Using these quickchats, I went through all three OCs with very little difficulty with my henchmen, except for spellcasters being stupid with their spells.

But the henchmen AI system already mentioned here several times helps with that problem. Though, as someone pointed out, it improves enemy AI too... but isn't that a good thing? Or do you want your henchmen to get smarter while your enemies remain stupid?
    I use those voicechats all the time, once you get used to them, it's hard not to use them anymore.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2018
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.