1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Neverwinter Nights Forum News

Discussion in 'Game/SP News & Comments' started by chevalier, Aug 12, 2004.

1. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Here are today's Neverwinter Nights forum highlights, collected by NWVault. Please take into account that these are only single parts of various threads and should not be taken out of context. Bear in mind also that the posts presented here are copied as-is, and that any bad spelling and grammar does not get corrected on our end.

David Gaider, Designer

A minor complaint here...

So you are allowing your publisher to misrepresent your game? That sounds like a very silly thing to do, Stanley. I mean such misrepresentations can be dangerous and someone might hold Bioware accountable for them.
    Meh. Just because you zip through games doesn't mean everyone does. I think 100 hours is pretty liberal accounting, myself, but I have no doubt that there were and are people who would take that long and more to go through all three campaigns, which makes it far from a "bald-faced lie". A bald-faced lie would be them marking it as "a campaign that took Hades_One 100 hours to go through!"

But of course that they would only do if we made games specifically for you, Hades. Which we do not. Funny, that. And if they did use that tagline on the advertisements, I would suggest they add "...and only 1000 hours to complain about!" ;)

Derek French, Live Team Producer

1.64 beta available
    English 1.64 Windows Beta 1 is available. http://nwn.bioware.com/support/patch.html We are still working on the other languages and Mac and Linux versions.

Georg Zoeller, Designer

1.64 beta available

Will there be new portraits and sound sets to look forward too.
    No. The patch is mainly fixing bugs and improvements. And, btw, soundsets are expensive and time consuming to create (book actor, record VO, etc), I doubt you will see new soundsets in a free patch anytime soon.

Player authentication

2 points: 1) In my players point of view it is preferable to use the game account than creating a new one and having to validate it in-game and need to have a 3045 user database on the server. 2) I of course tell my players that the web site is not the bioware official site and that using their accounts is not mandatory.

And to close this thread I've found an easy solution, I will verify the credential via this site, if I'm right this site verify our credential with the master server.
    I think we have not been clear enough on this: You will get in serious trouble with us, and potentially our legal department, if you ask players for their BioWare account name and password on your website. It is like asking the customers of a bank to log on with their account number and pin to your site so you can conveniently handle their transaction. BioWare accounts contain private information and cdkeys and so the account data should never be given out to anyone except the owner. If you would put this kind of system on your webpage, we would have to work on getting it shut down as an account theft scam, even if your intentions were differen - and I think you want to avoid that.

More :
    Ok, so trying another way: will you provide a way for users to manage their characters on servers ? if not, will you provide some kind of "auth" page a module web page can rely on with a session id or something like that allowing the module web page to let people accessing the characters of their account(s) and only their ? Or last, must I answer to my players bioware do not care about players unable to join servers because they bought SOU and HOTU and that sometimes crashes the join process (about 5 to 10 per day actually with a 1.62 linux server) ? In fact can you make me an official response I can publish on the module web site ? Many questions ... waiting for answers. Keep in mind I'm looking to do that because the erase button do not send a comamnd to the server to delete the character and that my players ask me for a solution which do not require me or another admin to delete the files manually. Sorry if it is such a problem in bioware point of view
    No, we will not provide means to authorize players outside of the game. If you need something like this, it's should be possible to have players log into their character, go to an NPC and ask it to terminate their live at which point they you write a message into the logfile you can parse with a perl script or little C# program. You can spin this idea further by providing the player a one time password in the game when he asks for deletion at a certain NPC and create a website where he can chose which files to delete.

We do not consider multiple character files a problem, NWNs scope is small enough that deleting those files can be done by hand, so we have no plans of adding any in game server character "delete" button. If you insist on running a persistent world, you will have to work around some of the restrictions because PWs are not officially supported. If you have problems with your game crashing, this is the wrong place to ask, and certainly the wrong thread. Technical support is provided by Atari and we offer a self help forum on our webpage where they can post. Please note that if your server uses hakpaks or files in the clients override directory, you are not eligible for technical support on matters concerning that module as we can not guarantee the integrity of user created content and the toolset says that quite clearly when you attach a hakpak to the module And yes asking people to enter their BioWare community password on your website is a big problem for us.

DLA Feature, part I + II
    Part II of the profile is up and steel_wind is finally giving some numbers!

Click Here Damn, this dragon screenshot is awesome.

ping 1.63 ... response timedout

OK please take my post with a bit of salt. I do not get it. What are we missing? The list of bug fixes in 1.64 is very impressive and thank you for them. I remember reading that this patch was going to have something really major in it that had to get WOTC approval
    Pretty sure you will be hard pressed to find a quote on that WotC thing...

Sorry one last thing. Why did we not atleast get all of the skyboxs yet? We were told they were left off of the HOTU CD because of space issuses. Currently I do not NWN installed and I am rebuilding my computer this weekend so if this beta patch is worth it I will put it back on. Otherwise I will wait for the full patch to release.
    I think they are going to be released seperately, patch 1.64 is complex enough without lots of new content additions.

More :
    Now to reask the same question. If sky boxes are done and we just need to download them why not come out with 1.65 with nothing but sky boxes? Also what was the "special" thing that held this up? I just see the list of fixes and if you look back it does not seem like this is as major a patch as I was lead to believe. I agree hunting for bugs in huge amounts of code is not a quick thing. Where one small bug could take a couple of days to find, fix and test. I remember reading that when this patch came out I would know why it took so long and currently I am scratching my head as to why it did take so long. If Digital Distrubition was in it I would get it. It something else major like that was in it again I would get it. So what am I missing?
    There might be a small patch later on when 1.64 has successfully been rolled out to add those preorder creatures and skyboxes, in the end it's a decision to be made by the LiveTeam that comes down to a number of different factors. What I can say is that the number of changes and the complexity of some of these changes in this patch is very high, so it is a good idea to not add those things at this time. And yes, there are some things related to DD with the patch that affected the release date, but we are not ready to discuss DD at this time.

Sunjammer's TileMagic v2.01
    Bump! Damn nice code!

1.64 beta bug in HotU intro cutscene
    Hey, That looks like a valid problem, probably with the way visual effects are being rendered. There have been changes to the visual effect system, so this might very well be something introduced in the patch. To ensure it gets to the person investigating these things, can you please send this bug report with attached images to nwbugs@bioware.com. put 1.64 BETA: into the subject line and please include technical information on your machine (OS, RAM, Video Card, Game (Sou, HotU,plain)) as well as any other important information you can think of. Thanks again for taking your time to give us feedback on the patch.

1.64 beta available

Aww, I know I should do it, but I'm going to say it anyway. It's a shame that the circle kick issue could not be dealt with, but clearly 1.64 resolves more pertinent issues. But still man... I really wanted my proper circle kicking monk. :p
    I'm not sure if circle kick was fixed or not (I know it's a low priority issue). Please *do not* jump on any conclusions about things not beeing fixed in the patch based on the public patchnotes. Things tend to slip through them on a regular basis and bugfixes to one system can also affect other things (i.e. changing a scripting function automatically affects all spells using this function, possibly fixing problems even if they do not get listed as seperate item on the patchliset) Right now the focus is getting patch 1.64 out of the door, so it would be nice if feedback could be focused on issues either created in this patch or issues the patch failed to address while stating otherwise. Once the patch is out the Live Team will probably pass through our bug database and evaluate what's going to be done in the next patch.

More :
    Great job, I have one question, was the ram and other optimizations done. The one I heard would give up to 10% increase in FPS or was that drop or just missed on the list? Thanks from the bottom of all us C.C. people's hearts :)
    There have been several fixes regarding to memory leaks and other optimizations such as changes to the resource caching. Your results may vary.

More :
    Any chance a Linux and or Mac version could be released? Or failing that, please give people without the Windows version a way to get at the updated data-files for building purposes? : It would really be beneficial to get a head-start and not having to wait 'til the official patch goes live.
    The live team is working on those versions.

List Servers that want your money

Quote: Why did they even bother with a EULA agreement in the first place? My answer, pure formality.
    No it is not. BioWare is closely monitoring the situation and we are taking measures if we see a danger to our community and to uphold our own and our business partners interests. Atari's legal department has been involved with a couple of incidents about EULA violations in the past and they will do it again if the situation makes it necessary.

More :

I guess I'm wondering, why is it against the law for NWN game owners to charge for their own hard work?
    Because they aren't charging for their own hard work. They're charging for their own hard work *and* Bioware's hard work *and* the free help they received from the community.
    This is true for somethings like whole NWN modules, that were created by the Aurora toolset. There are some exceptions, like with custom content. Custom made Models, Portaits, Textures, Music, Scripts, etc are seperate creations from what Bioware & the community has done. If you make a custom model from scratch, it is your creation. If you used 3DSMax or gmax you have the right to claim a copyright for it. If you paint a custom portrait, scan it, import it into Adobe Photoshop, make changes to it and save it to a .tga file, you can claim copyright. If you create a texture in Photoshop you can claim copyright. The same applies to Music. It can also apply to uncompiled scripts because they are just written text. Microsoft doesn't lay claim to your written text or prevent you from owning your written creations for using notepad or even Word. So if you used Word to write the design for your module, it would be yours and yours alone. Once you turn your design and collection of custom content into a NWN module, that is when it falls under the Draconian EULA for NWN.
    You retain the copyright to modules you create in the toolset as well, there is a section in the EULA about this. Copyright however does not entitle you to charge for them or services. That clause is about as valid as i.e. the GPL where you retain copyright of your changes/creations based on other code but have to make your source available to the public.

Craig Welburn, Live Team Programmer

1.64 beta bug in HotU intro cutscene
    Thanks for submitting that. I already fixed it. :) Should be in the next beta patch when/if that shows up.

[ August 12, 2004, 21:36: Message edited by: chevalier ]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2018
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.