1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Neverwinter Nights Board Update

Discussion in 'Game/SP News & Comments' started by NewsPro, May 2, 2001.

1. NewsPro Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

(Originally posted by Darien)

Once again the latest comments from the Official Neverwinter Nights message boards.

Bob McCabe, Writing & Design

Portals: Setting up a portal would be pretty easy for a DM to do, when creating his world. He'd just have to lay down the two transition points, and then add in a doorway or permanent spell animation to make it look usable. With this method, a player could easily go from-and-to any map within the module, even if that happens to be from city-to-city.

Likewise, the DM can create an item (I'm pretty sure about this, but I could be wrong) that would act as the first transition point. The player would simply use that item (a scroll, for example, as in Diablo) to instantly beam to a point pre-defined by the DM. And, one step further, the DM could create the teleport runes you guys mentioned, so that the player could place one item in one location, and use a matching item to instantly bring him to the placed item. Just hope that no one else grabs hold of that first rune! ;)

And the crazy thing is that non-programmers like me could pull that stuff off with about 5 minutes of free time.

Clarifies prestige classes: from the DMG: "Prestige classes allow DMs to create campaign-specific, exclusive roles and positions as classes. These special roles offer abilities and powers otherwise inaccessible to PCs and focus them in specific, interesting directions. A character with a prestige class will be more specialized yet perhaps slightly better than one without."

Some examples are the anti-paladin and the assassin. For the assassin, for example, you create a rogue, and when you meet certain requirements (in this case: evil alignment, 8 ranks of move silently, 8 ranks of hide, 4 ranks of disguise, and then murder someone to join the assassins), you may opt to become an assassin.

Trent Oster, Producer

Enchanted weapons: NWN has really gone overboard in this area. You can attach so many criteria and abilities to a weapon it blows my mind.

I just created a Bastard sword with the following abilities:
    Weapon : Bastard Sword
    Ability Bonus: Constitution +2
    Damage Immunity: Bludgeoning
    Improved Saving throws: Reflex
    On Monster Hit: Ability Drain Strength by 3
    Use Limitation: Chaotic
    Use Limitation: Evil
    Damage Bonus vs Racial Type: Gnome 1d6 acid damage

I now have a Bastard sword which gives me:
    +2 to my constitution
    Immunity to bludgeoning damage
    A +2 bonus to my reflex saves
    A weapon which drains 3 points of strength / hit
    A weapon only useable by Chaotic Evil characters
    A weapon which does an extra 1D6 of acid damage to Gnomes

In short, a complete BG type weapon effects system. We'll show a little of this at E3, but the possibilities are amazing and too vast to go into in detail in a demo.

Quicken spell: By applying Quicken to a spell, the casting time is reduced to zero. Another option for rapid casting is contingency. Not counting those two manners of casting, right now you can queue up as many spells as you wish and your character will continue casting until he/she runs out of queued actions. The spells still take the normal casting time though. We're going to have to look over this for playability a little later on and figure out a good way to show queued actions.

Cord Grimwinder-8d,Interplaygames.com Moderator

On removing the XP cap: But the main Consideration is still that there simply aren't any rules covering play beyond 20th level and until there are (and they can be added to NWN in the future) there simply isn't any point in doing away with the "cap".

Release of the scripting reference: They do plan on releasing a good deal of the scripting info prior to shipping, but are waiting until the language stabilizes.

On servers: Keep in mind that the 64 figure may change, but something else wont- that being that you can link together as many servers with Portals as you wish. So, while 64 (give or take a few) may be all *one* server can handle comfortably at once, the number your *chain* of connected servers can handle is only limited by how many server operators you can talk into being a part of your larger world ;-). So, with a little work and creativity, the possibilities are a large as the internet.....

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2018
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.