1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Neverwinter Nights 2 Forum News (Oct. 26, 04)

Discussion in 'Game/SP News & Comments' started by chevalier, Oct 27, 2004.

1. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Here are today's Neverwinter Nights 2 forum highlights, collected by NWVault from Obsidian Forums. Please take into account that these are only single parts of various threads and should not be taken out of context. Bear in mind also that the posts presented here are copied as-is, and that any bad spelling and grammar does not get corrected on our end.

Jason Keeney, Programmer

Physics
    I'm with you about the ragdoll stuff StormHammer... a lot of implementations of that kind of thing end up just looking, literally, like a ragdoll... which of course is *not* the real goal (that is, unless you're making a Raggedy Ann and Andy game). Realistic procedural physics is one more of those things (like motion captured animation) that seems like a really great idea but can often end up falling short of what a good artist can do by hand.

But that said, I think you're being a little short sighted by declaring that if the physics isnt a part of the gameplay then there is no point. Procedural physics is just one of the lastest tools to help us make better looking, better feeling games. Its all about immersion... and real physics can help with that. Should we not bother with particle systems either because they dont have any impact on the gameplay? There's nothing wrong with eye candy for its own sake.

Ferret, Developer

Rolling Stats
    There are some interesting points brought up here and there. And really some of you already brought up the points I was going to make. I personally love point-buy because I was increasingly agitated in PnP games that one wildly bad or good set of rolls could completely and irrevocably change the flavor of your entire game. I was tired of situations where one player could roll like a minor god in character creation and become the dominant force in a multi-year campaign, primarily based off no merit on his part - just rolling great once.

So point-buy came onto the scene and evened the scales, making it so that all characters are created equally. Something I favor and something that's essential for PW and other forms of MP. For single-player, as has already been discussed, within days of release I'm sure NWN2's cheat codes will be out (if they even change from NWN1) and users can edit their stats to their heart's content. If we support random rolls, we also have a wider range of balance problems for the single-player campaign because we should theoretically make the game playable for the poor sod who rolled all 3s as well as the majority of people who re-rolled a bajillion times and have mostly 18s. So Frank's magic 8-ball doesn't have hopeful things to say about randomly rolling attributes making into the game.

P.S. I read somewhere that someone was wondering if it's even worth discussing some of these things. Some discussions have an impact on the game - not all of them... but some. So keep the faith.

Erik Novales, Programmer

Backward Compatibility
    The plan is to have some limited compatibility. (Since certain features are changing quite drastically, such as the graphics engine, it doesn't make sense for the new game to be compatible with the old model formats and such.) This is in the FAQ, BTW.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2018
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.