1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Neverwinter Nights 2 Forum News (Oct. 25, 04)

Discussion in 'Game/SP News & Comments' started by chevalier, Oct 26, 2004.

1. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Here are today's Neverwinter Nights 2 forum highlights, collected by NWVault from Obsidian Forums. Please take into account that these are only single parts of various threads and should not be taken out of context. Bear in mind also that the posts presented here are copied as-is, and that any bad spelling and grammar does not get corrected on our end.

Marc Taro, Lead Artist

Screenshots
    er - I have to be honest here - we're in PRE-production. It's going really well, but things have to happen in a certain order. We're doing a lot of design and planning in the art department, while the engineers slave away on new cool toys for us....the first things you'll see are going to be concept art and test models – please don't ask us to rush on screenshots – we need to have some time to build the game! It's going to be a bit of a wait here – but it's worth it – the stuff we're testing looks pretty amazing – heh...(what a tease...) What you guys should be really bating breath on is E3. I know that seems like forever – but honestly the industry revolves around a few key dates – and next May will be a big deal for us...Not to be all depressing tho' - I'm going to go write an email right now and see how soon I can leak some images to you...

Pick Look of Starting Weapon
    Um, I didn't have time to read this entire thread so let me know if I'm in left field - but this is my take on starting gear. It's not very important. You won't keep your starting gear for more than five minutes. You're going to start this game at level 1 - a freshly rolled up PC. By the end of the tutorial/intro you'll have leveled a bit, and you're on your way - and I hope you'll be very quickly clawing your way to better gear as the first few hours of the story unfolds. Really, think of it this way - finding/earning/crafting (!?!) a signature weapon should be an epic part of the story - not something you just get for free! It'll mean so much more if you have to work towards the uber gear.

Rating : Mature or Teen
    While the game will be teen rated, at the request of the publisher, the retailers and concerned parents everywhere, I do hope to have some scalability to the violence. (Personally I like some darker themed films and such - but I have a hard time role-playing a really violent charcter. But that's neither here nor there...) It's very likely we'll have time to offer more than one option for death and damage effects, so in theory a DM could choose what to play - or it could be tied into a 'gore setting' in the options. One thing I'm quite sure of - even if we are restricted in the use of VFX, this would be a very easy thing hack - a person could simply add their own particle textures and voila - gorefest!

Erik Novales, Programmer

GffWrite GffRead scripting commands
    The problem with this is that you're modifying live data -- the results would be really dependent on when it happened, along with the phases of the moon, what NWN had for breakfast that morning, etc. The real question is, what are you trying to accomplish with this? Chances are it would be more easily done in a different manner.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2018
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.