1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Need help getting Dark Sun 2 to run

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Crawl, Jan 5, 2001.

1. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

[​IMG] Man I really missed this about old computer games. Every new game I've bought for my latest system runs prefectly. Baldurs Gate 2, infinately superior in graphics, runs like a dream. And I install Dark Sun 2 and I get the old message "Needs 601K conventional memory, only 597K available." Anyone that knows something about Win 98 can help in one of 2 ways. Well, first, I created a boot(or I could just use win98 startup disk) and that frees up the needed memory. However, I don't have a clue how to insert the path for the mouse driver into the autoexec.bat file. I have no clue of where to even find the mouse drivers with Win98. If someone could tell me something to insert in the file that would let me use my mouse without being in windows, I'd apreciate it. A second way to help is to tell me how I could free up the 601K memory with windows 98 running. As you can tell, I'm still(after all these years) somewhat computer illiterate and definately win98 illiterate. So any help would be apreciated(and don't assume I know anything, for if I did, I wouldn't be here, I'd be creating my party :D)

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Try this:

In windows explorer, find the executable for Dark Sun 2 (the file that you run). Right click on it and select Properties. Select the Program tab. Click on the Advanced button. Click on the MS-DOS mode checkbox. Leave the Use current MS-DOS configuration radio button checked for now. Click OK (a couple of times...).

Try double clicking on the file now... Windows should exit and the program should run under DOS mode... Hopefully enough memory will be free... If not, perhaps I can still help, but it's been a long time since I've done anything like that...

[This message has been edited by Blackthorne TA (edited January 05, 2001).]

3. Crawl Gems: 23/31

Well, I tried your suggestion, Blackthorne. However, it still flached a "needs 601K conventional" across the screen before it sent me back to windows. Perhaps if I could edit the way dos sets up to run the game. Apears I can edit the config and autoexec files for dos specifically for the game. Does you know how I could do this to free up the needed memory for the game? Or does anyone know how to put in a path for mouse drivers into the autoexec.bat file without being in the win98 explorer?

4. Wassup Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I think you should create yourself a boot disk. On this boot disk, create an autoexec.bat and a config.sys with only the minimums setting you need for this game. This way, I should free some memory under 640k (conventionnal). And also try to load all the stuff you need in the high memory section (between 640 and 1 MB). But I cant remember exactly how to do it. But i'm sure that with the boot disk you will be able to make this game work. And you will not fuck all your other settings. I remeber that I used to do boot disk with older games, and most of the game had a boot disk creator utility.

[This message has been edited by Wassup (edited January 05, 2001).]

5. Septic Yogurt Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Conventional memory used to be the only thing that mattered for games , and in the days of DOS 5 and before that DOS 3.31 your worth was judged on how close to 639K you came.

6. Crawl Gems: 23/31

Remind me never to long for the good old days of gaming ever again(headache-pass some advil or vodka please!). But I have triumphed. I was fooling around undrer the game's Properties-Program section. (Incidently, I realize that fooling around with a computer if you don't know what you are doing is like storing the gasoline by the fireplace :)) Anyway, I set the option to "prevent MS-DOS based games from detecting windows". This not only game me enough memory, but my mouse works in the game as well. I don't know how it worked, but it did. So if anyone has such a prob with a DOS based game and the dreaded conventional memory, try that. And thank you Blackthorne :D

7. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Ah! Excellent! It would've been tough if you couldn't get it to work that way, because W98 doesn't include DOS mouse drivers any more, and the drivers these days (if you have a disk with a DOS driver on it) are so monstrously bloated that they would take up too much memory...

You could have also tried under the memory tab to specify the amount of conventional memory it would set aside for you instead of leaving it set to Auto... (That is if you hadn't already tried it... :) )

But I'm glad you got it working, and I was able to point you in the right direction... :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.