1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Need advice with sound

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by chevalier, Oct 1, 2007.

1. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I've recently pulled an old SB Live! 5.1 out of a retiring Celeron 500 MHz box. I owned that card once before upgrading my computer but since I was told the new onboard Realtek AC97 device (Abit IS7-E mobo) would be better, I passed the Live! to my sister. So I got this Live! now and plugged it in. I can't really rely on my ear to tell the difference, so it's possible it's just the fact Live! has a real MIDI wavetable that makes it look better. One other difference is that using 3 pairs of speakers as front, rear and central/sub on my Realtek, I had both a central and a sub even though the two speakers were on one cable (left acted as sub, right as centre or the other way round). The SB Live! speaker setup only has one speaker vaguely named centre and that's how it reports in the testing. The problem is, it reports in the testing but doesn't give out any sounds when playing music. I remember music played using all speakers I had back on AC97 (same prog, WMP).

Now my question is, which card am I better off with and for what reason? I don't really care so much about a small fps gain, nor do I really need superb MIDI. I just want better sound in games, as well as better EAX and better positioning of sound in space (i.e. better ability to hear what direction and how far away the sound comes from). SB Live! 5.1 is old but AC97 isn't new either. In fact, SB Live! has an AC97 codec on it too. The onboard Realtek Device (Realtek ALC650) isn't much newer, though - I suppose Live! was the high-end thing when Realtek ALC650 came out. So, any suggestions for me?

2. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Generally speaking, an actual sound card offers better sound. When it's built in to the motherboard, the traces on the board run near other busses that range in power and frequencies...which can cause some cross talk between the traces. :rolling:

3. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    At the moment there is only one sound card good enough to justify putting money on the counter.

for games the xi-fi extrme gamer, for music the other xi fi, the audio. Both made by Creative. Price around 69 euro. This card is a leap better than other Creative cards.

This is based on a test in a hardware enthousiasts magazine of high quality. All the other cards are only barely better then modern on board.

The best pc speakerset is named Teufel, but hard to come by. (Concept E magnum). The best after that is the creative inspire T6100. Around 60 euro.

4. chevalier

Media:
    I got the Live! for free - in fact, the card went away to family members because I already had one at that point. Then I didn't have one (onboard AC97), but finally the box returned here, so I took the card away since no one needed it. No purchase on my part, just recycling. ;) Otherwise I suppose Live! for the several bucks it costs isn't that bad as a basic card...

Anyway, I'm just wondering which device is better: the standalone Live! I have or the AC97 (650) from Realten on my Abit IS7-E mobo. I don't really want to buy anything new.

5. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    I'd guess you'd be better of with the card, chevalier.

6. chevalier

Media:
    It looks like that. I've disbanded the whole improvised 5.1 set and limited myself to the JVC stereo I had been using before. And guess what. The sound on the Live! is much better than the AC97 integrated device. So it basically took good speakers to notice. I'm going to miss the surround effect, but now the sound is much better overall. Thanks, guys. :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.