1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Myst

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Enagonios, Dec 14, 2005.

1. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Have never played the Myst games, but I was in a used-book sale earlier and picked up a copy of Myst: The book of Atrus and Myst: The book of Ti'ana. I'm reading the former right now, pretty good stuff...

So I was wondering.. have any Spers played this? I assume so because according to soem reviews I've read it's supposed to be "the stuff" and extremely popular. For those of you that have played it, would you recommend it? Keep in mind that I like story-oriented games (i.e. practically every game SP hosts and the Final Fantasy series)

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    It is very different from the games hosted on SP. It's more of a puzzle/adventure game. At the time (which is a long time ago) it had very nice graphics and sound, and the story was interesting. I found the puzzles a lot of fun.

So, if you like puzzle or adventure-type games, you would probably like Myst. I only played the first one, so I couldn't tell you about the sequels.

3. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

The original Myst was awesome. It's the only computer game that my father ever bought for himself, but we both used it. :shake: The only real problem with it (for me, anyway) was the utter isolation; I could never play it for more than an hour before I started getting that creepy feeling of someone looking over my shoulder. *shudders*

4. kuemper Gems: 31/31

I wasn't smart enough to figure out the puzzles. And it looked so promising for me. :sosad:

5. Falstaff

Falstaff Sleep is for the Weak of Will Veteran

Myst was great - I remember playing ages and ages ago on my first computer and thinking "Wow! This game is awesome!" Thought-provoking puzzles, somewhat compelling "backstory", and cool artwork made me a rapid fan. I've played Riven and Myst III since then, and I fully enjoyed both, for much the same reasons as I enjoyed the first one (although some of those puzzles are REAL bastards!).

It's been a long time, though, and thoughts of picking up the last few in the series have been tempered with thoughts of "Good god, if the puzzles get any harder, I'll kill myself."

Loved Myst, at any rate - great game, although not really my thing anymore...

However, if your thing is only the DnD-style CRPGs that are discussed here, you may not want to get your hopes up too high - It's VERY different. Very.

No, really.

Very.

6. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

hmm I don't think I'll pick it up then.. I mean, I haven't even finished PoP: The Warrior Within yet because I can't figure out where to go and how to get there, what more this :rolleyes:

I would recommend the books though, I'm still on the first but it's pretty good. I also checked them on amazon and all 3 got excellent ratings. I'm going to pick the last book in the trilogy, The book of the D'Ni, at full price.

7. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Myst was stunning when it first came out. It was one of the first "real" CD games (ie, not a floppy game with speech added), graphics were stunning for the time, and it's one of the few games that use sound so effectively (quite a few puzzles are completely sound-based)

Riven was good, but some puzzles were even more obscure than in Myst, which made it a real pain.

You might be able to find a "Myst Trilogy" package for a low price, so it might be worth checking out. If the price is right, you won't be disappointed even if it turns out to be not your type of game.

8. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Veteran

Media:
    I had...might still have...the first Myst game, although I never completed it, my sister was good at it and she got really far until she got to what we think is the end in which she could get no futher and just kept going around a cave with some guy in it...did anyone else have this problem?

9. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

spoiler...

uh, did the guy in the cave disappear for a while, and come back saying he had destroyed the two books linking to his sons? If so, you won...

still, a very interesting series (I've played the first 4)... the puzzles can be very frustrating, but when the game succeeds, the visuals and ambience makes up for it... myst consistantly has had some of the most stunning visuals of any game at the time of its release, even if navigating the game tends to be a bit primitive...

if you were interested in the series, I'd probably start with myst 3: exile, which imo is the most accessible: the first seems a bit dated, the second can be very frustrating (but might be a better game), while the fourth seemed a bit advanced in the storyline...

10. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Veteran

Media:
    I think he said something about not having all the pages. Anyway, there was no way of escaping the cave, and he would say nothing else...so I guess she lost :p

11. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Well, the guy does specifically tell you NOT to come in until you're ready, so... :p

12. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The graphics and atmosphere were great, but I had no patience for Myst; many of the puzzles just took too long to figure out. I ended up playing it with a game guide in my lap.

As an aside, I remember reading an article which stated that Myst was the most popular game that people were never able to finish. That should give you some indication about the degree of difficulty of the puzzles.

Bottom line - if you like puzzle games, you'll probably love Myst. Otherwise, avoid it like the plague.

13. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I didn't play Myst but my sister did. She finished the game, which I think means that she solved all the puzzles herself... because back then we didn't have internet to google for walkthroughs. :)

But I agree with the above posts: my impression of the game is that it's a puzzle solving game. Period.

14. shadow lurker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Oooh! :D I remember that game! I was really little when we borrowed it from a friend and I thought it was really interesting at the time. I got stuck at some cabin in the woods or something where you need to type in the code to open the door. :( Oh well. I don't remember anything else though.

15. Arahar

Arahar Hmm, it's a dwarf. Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

I still have my original cd. All it's good for is a bookmark but I still have it. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2012
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.