1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

My new race

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Register, Jan 17, 2004.

1. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I've recently created a race named the "Scorpien" and I just want to have your opinion on it. It is located in my custom Campaign Setting named Nosaj Lrac and here is a pic for it; Clickety clickety!!

It's something like that at least.

[ October 29, 2004, 01:04: Message edited by: Caleb* ]

2. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

why one eart does it have +3 disguise?

would make more sense if you just gave more to climb and intimidate instead.

How is their connection to Stingers? Hated enemies, distant cousins, allies?

looks good though.

3. Register Gems: 29/31

Yeah, I was not sure about the +3 in disguise, but my logic is that if they want to be around other societies they'll have to hide their tail and legs, and so disguise, to be accepted and not killed at sight.
    But now that I'm thinking on it, only few of them actually becomes adventurers, so I should change that.

And at risk to sounding dumb, what's a Stinger? Can you provide me with a link, or is it in the MM?

[EDIT]
    1. I changed the disguise skill bonus with natural armor bonus but also restricted the Scorpiens from using heavy armors.
    2. It wasn't in the MM, I've looked.
    [/EDIT]

[ January 17, 2004, 20:24: Message edited by: Velve Zauviir ]

4. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Looks good, but I'd imagin that the tail would have more use, prehaps as a weapon or something.

And stinger would be the thing at the end of a scorpians tail which stings people.

5. Register Gems: 29/31

Yeah, but how could one that have a stinger on it's tail be ally with it? Or enemy? I take it that Lokken means a race, not the tail.

Plus, what should I give as kind of bonus to the tail? A new attack? If so, what penalties and bonuses should it have?

6. Lokken Gems: 26/31

Veteran

Well a Stinger is an actual monster. It's a humanoid torso on scorpion body, and they're a race that has come from Maztica and now largely lives in the Anauroch desert. (if you have NWN:SoU, you will meet a few there). They're listed in Monsters of Faerun.

But yeah, I was thinking about the stinger-tail as a natural weapon too, but it would complicate things a bit and add some ECL's. Easiest thing would to rule it out unless you have some experience in doing it.

As for disguise, civilized societies in Anauroch deserts rarely exist except for the Beduine tribe people. Being of the desert, I think they hardly judge everyone as potential enemy, tail or no.

As for your Natural armor class, I think you should just give it a certain number. Else you'd probably have to make monster levels which, is not impossible, but just requires a bit more work.

In general, racial bonuses and others (like small symbolic bonuses) are always +2. Of course this is the guideline, not the rule, but it makes easy to remember in general, (halflings skill bonuses are +2, same with elves, gnomes etc.)

I'd suggest only small changes.
    Nat. AC: +1
    Climb +2, Intimidate +2, Survival +2 (as favored class is Ranger and they seem to be left for themselves in hard to reach places).

As for restrictions, it's a tough one. Putting restrictions on certain equipment due to your race is.. awkward. You could always get an armorsmith to special design a suit of armor for you as if you had wings.

If you want to "buff up" the race, you could add a few things here and there and make it an ECL +1 race. Could make for a little more diversity without ruining balance (for instance a progressive poison-sting attack). You always have to remember this line when making races.

Would I rather play this than a human? Would I always prefer this to a human?

If yes, then it's probably too powerful.

But it looks really good though.

EDIT:
    Since they look more human-like than scorpion-like, perhaps swap climb with balance? A tail would definitely make it better at balancing.

A possible solution if you want a tail attack could be to use the scorpion poison from the MM.
    The character uses a poison equal to his size with a DC of 10 + ½ HD + Cha mod.

So a level 5 fighter scorpien with 12cha would have a natural sting attack as follows.
    Initial/Secondary (Fort save, DC 13).
    1d4 strength / 1d4 strength.

Could add a fire resistance 5, and perhaps a minor spell-like ability, skill bonus, or another natural armor class bonus, and then give it ECL +1. As it would become ECL +1 you can compare to Tieflings and Aasimars on the power scale.

[ January 18, 2004, 01:40: Message edited by: Lokken ]

7. Abomination Gems: 26/31

I don't think +1 to AC is enough given the extent of the carapace on the image you have provided. Give him a natural +4 to generic armor class and +1 to ECL.

8. Register Gems: 29/31

Ok, I have nethier Monsters of Fareûn nor NWN:SoU so I'll have to check stingers up on WotC website.

Regarding disguise, I've removed it as stated above.

And with armor restriction, I don't think it's THAT odd, cause Halflings and Gnomes can't use two-handed weapons so it evens out in the end.

I know what to do with the tail, I give it 1D4 piercing damage, one attack per round and the poison damage you were talking about.

And survival? What kind of skill is that?

Editing the skills so the bonuses is +2 for the sake of 3E is ok, but with all the other bonuses I'll add an ECL of +1. Also, swapping clomb with balance seems reasonable enough.

@Abomination - +4 is a bit drastic and don't add that much flavour IMO, I think I'll go with Lokken's style, but don't get jelous.

9. Oaz Gems: 29/31

The formula for determining poison DCs (and other DCs for special abilities based on bodily attacks) is 10 + half HD + Con mod.

IIRC there is also something similar to what you are describing in the Monster Manual 2.

10. Register Gems: 29/31

You mean the race? That means that you all will accuse me of stealing, then the mob of sp will chase me to a mill with torches and pitchforkes. *GULP*

I don't have the MM2, so I don't know if it already exists.

Fixed the CON thingie.

11. Lokken Gems: 26/31

Veteran

Was wondering about the con/cha thing.

As for the armor, it is an odd restriction, because the halflings and gnomes restriction are not due to race, but due to size! :) there's a certain system in 3E that it might take awhile to realize.

Also I think that level improvements from race is a bad idea. Generally, if you want race improvements, you take race levels. Mixing this with race improvements during class levels is a bad idea since it'll throw off balance very very quickly. (if your Natural AC improves, we're no longer talking ECL +1).
    Keep it simple, dont make the stinger magical or to-hit bonuses due to levels. If you want to improve your stinger, use feats to do so. That's what they're there for.

Survival would be Wilderness lore, sorry.

12. Register Gems: 29/31

Ok, I've added +2 Wilderness Lore and removed armor restrictions plus race levels, now the race should be complete.

[ January 18, 2004, 05:51: Message edited by: Velve Zauviir ]

13. erekose Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Life span is a little too long. If you want them to be prolific breeders (ie. Humans) then they need a shorter lifespan.

14. P4TRiQ Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] Look at my new race!

The Fijitzi

The Fijitzi is a race who comes from the undeads, but only from the lawful good ones, called “The Saints”. Only one of ten Fijitzi is a male, but the men have only one wife, the rest of the females has to find a partner from another race.
    The live deep in the woods and they are a very rare race.
    Personality: The Fijitzi is relative new races so they are not well known by the other races. They are friendly and helpful people who live deep in the forests.
    Physical Description: Fijitzis are almost always 5 feet tall and weigh about 120 pounds. The men are a bit smaller then the females. They have always light skin and they can have blue, red, brown or yellow eyes. The hair colour is almost always brown but sometimes black or blond. The hair is always straight except for the men who have curly hair. The Fijitzi men are the only Fijitzis who have facial hair. The Fijitzis can’t breed with other races so there is no “half-Fijitzis” Fijitzis live for about 400 years and reaches it life majority at 90-110 years.
    Relations: They can live with all kinds of being but they prefer animals.
    The only thing that matters is that the other being is not evil. They can’t stand the sight of death to those who don’t deserve it.
    Alignment: The people of the Fijitzis always tend to be good and they hate the evil and chaos.
    Fijitzi lands: The Fijitzi lives deep in almost very major forest and they have very little contact with the outside world except for the females who wants to have a man on their side.
    Religion: The Chief deity of the Fijitzi is Mielikki, the goddess of the Forest.
    She is “Our Lady of the Forest, the Forest Queen”. She always gives a safe travel for the Fijitzis.
    Language: The Fijitzis speaks Celestial as their ancestors did but on the long way from the past the writing of the Celestial was lost so they write in Common.
    Names: The Fijitzis has only one name but that name has a meaning witch only Fijitzis understand.
    Male names: Artan (Gold heart), Kertak (Hunter of the day), Monge (Light bringer), Liversa (The All seeing), Maberska (Metal mind) and Lajem (Greenwood).
    Female names: Levtresa (Life of the Forest), Xehartor (Hunter of the night),
    Faarsio (Love of the Woods), Rákol (Cold night), Demas (Reborn from love),
    Jamsakai (Heart of a sacred one), Nymax (Wall crawler), Maggina (lovely heart), Lindia (Beautiful) and Grewan (Holy life).
    Adventures: The Fijitzis has only one adventure per life and that adventure is to find a partner. The men don’t leave the forests, they just get along in the deep forests, but sometimes the men wants to see what it is behind the trees. The men discover then that they are more needed out there behind the trees and the rocks of the woods.
    FIJITZI RACIAL TRAITS
    • +1 Charisma, +1 Dexterity, -1 Strength: The Fijitzis is a very beautiful but not as strong as the humans.
    • Medium-size: As medium-size creatures, Fijitzis have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
    • Fijitzis base speed is 25 feet.
    • Wood cunning: Wood cunning grants Fijitzis a +2 racial bonus on checks to unusual woodwork, such as trapdoors, and plants.
    • +1 racial bonus to attack rolls in forests: Fijitzis is very used to wood fights.
    • +1 damage against evil creatures.
    • -1 to attack rolls in darkness (except in forests): Fijitzis is afraid of the darkness outside woods.
    • Undead blood: For all special abilities (except turn undead) and effects a Fijitzi is considered an undead. Fijitzis, for example, can use special undead weapons and items just as an undead.
    • Automatic Languages: Celestial and Common. Bonus Languages: Elf, Orc, Animal and Draconic.
    • Favoured Class: Ranger. A muliticlass Fijitzi ranger class does not count when determining whether he suffers an Xp penalty for multiclassing.

By: Patrik “RooK” Fredriksson
    2004-02-02

some pics on them
    http://raph.com/3dartists/artgallery/donghyun_kang1.jpg
    http://raph.com/3dartists/artgallery/donghyun_kang2.jpg

15. The_Swordalizer Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] Hur hur ... they "prefer animals" hur hur :p

16. P4TRiQ Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] jupp.. just like me..
    except girls.. :p
    girls+me= :thumb:

[ February 03, 2004, 19:52: Message edited by: RooK the fallen ]

17. Register Gems: 29/31

Those to contradict themself. Just FYI!

If I were you, and I am glad that I am not:evil:, I would edit the stats so they would look like this:

IJITZI RACIAL TRAITS
    • +2 Charisma, +2 Dexterity, -2 Strength: The Fijitzis is a very beautiful but not as strong as the humans.
    • Medium-size: As medium-size creatures, Fijitzis have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
    • Fijitzis base speed is 30 feet.
    • Wood cunning: Wood cunning grants Fijitzis a +2 racial bonus on checks to unusual woodwork, such as trapdoors, and plants.
    • +2 racial bonus to attack rolls in forests: Fijitzis is very used to wood fights.
    • +2 damage against evil creatures.
    • -2 to attack rolls in darkness (except in forests): Fijitzis is afraid of the darkness outside woods.
    • Automatic Languages: Celestial and Common. Bonus Languages: Elf, Orc, Animal and Draconic.
    • Favoured Class: Ranger. A muliticlass Fijitzi ranger class does not count when determining whether he suffers an Xp penalty for multiclassing.
    ECL Modifier: +1

The reason that I have choosen to edit all 1's with 2's is the above menitoned in Lokken's post, it just fits better with the DnD settings like that.

Also, I've edited out the undead part, because they hafta come from some other race, and that would make them templates as I told you at home. Also, they don't look a bit like undead, if you ask me that is.

Also, I've hightened the base speed to 30 feet as the only race that have 25 feet in base speed is the Avariels, and that is because they are more used to fly, as you well know.

My two cents!!

18. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

[​IMG] Ohh now that was painful to read RooK :wave: Nice work though but the name kind of sounds like a company that would make televisions or something like that yeah. Names need a little work ;d

19. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Is this your little brother? :confused:

20. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    It's beyond me how Mielikki would align with the undead. It's also beyond me how such a lawful race would choose a neutral good goddess as patron. It's beyond me why one in ten should be male. It's beyond me how they're undead and still "live" and why an undead creature should have a limited time of existence.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.