1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

My firewall kills my download speed....

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Kitrax, Jul 9, 2006.

1. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Ok, so I have ZoneAlarm running on my computer, and for some reason, it seems to decrease my download speed. I've been using BitTorrent to legally downlaod .pdf files for a stupid research project for my class...and when ever I have ZoneAlarm running, the fastest I've been able to download was 3Kbps. I've got a 256Kbps DSL line (slow I know) and when I shut ZA down, my download speed always goes up. I've seen it get up to 50Kbps...but on average it is about 25Kbps...not great, but it’s still better than 3K! :bang:

Is there a *good* reason ZoneAlarm restricts download speeds; and is there a way to increase the speed while still being protected? :confused: :rolling:

2. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Bittorrent for some part depends on outside computers initialising a connection with your computer.

These remote connections are default blocked by the firewall. They should be because this is the most important way how hackers and worms/virusses work, by initialising connections with your machine, exploiting the latest unpatched hole and delivering the nasty payload.

When this is blocked, the only connections between your computer and an external computer are the connections your computer has set up itself.
    These are known as the local connections.

I don't know how sophisticated ZoneAlarm is, but the standard way for increasing the downloadspeed is allowing remote connections for (and only for) the bittorrent port.

3. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

ZoneAlarm Control Panel -> Firewall -> Internet Zone Security -> Set to "Medium".

Also give Azureus full access under Program Control.

4. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Make sure you have the *free* version instead of the commercial one, which has become bloated with somewhat confusing and useless features. Using it, the free version, myself. Just 'allow' your BT-client to access the net when it asks it and that's about it. At least with ABC and uTorrent, which have worked just fine with me.

[ July 09, 2006, 19:15: Message edited by: Wordplay ]

5. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Ok, so here's one more question...which Torrent client is the best? I don't really like how Azureus works/looks, and I've been using the BitTorrent client up to this point.

Are they any good and reliable ones out there? :rolling:

6. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

Pretty much Azureus. Azureus is the best client, it's just a memory hog.

I'm using ABC as a backup client to troubleshoot Azureus.

7. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Depends. I prefer uTorrent due of it being able to encrypt the connection (no snooping!) and ABC (Yet Another BitTorrent Client) was a pretty neat too since it had a simple interface.

8. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    uTorrent gets two thumbs up from me. AZ is slowly being banned by most groups as people have devised ways to cheat their upload rates using it.

9. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

i have been using bitcomet. it has multi language interface (i use simplified chinese). never experience any problem after a year of using.

10. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

I've been using Azureus, and the only problem is that is ****s my internet connection up. I can't use the internet while its running, and then I have to reset the whole thing (unpluggin some modems and ****). But, it can download a whole bunch of things at once (unlike the regular Bittorrent program) at relatively good rates (relatively :rolleyes: )

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.