1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Multiple Enchanted Item Use Patch

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by Fortain, Nov 23, 2003.

1. Fortain Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I have a patch for BG that allows me to equip multiple enchanted items (Rings/Cloaks of Protections, etc.), consisting of a file placed in the Override folder. Would this file work for IWD as well, or is there a patch/file for IWD that does this? Thanks in advance.

2. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

It might work with the *original* (version 1.06 or below) game. I seriously doubt it'll work with +1.41.

But it's not like you're going to really hurt anything. Put it in there, and if it's not working or it's screwing up things, just delete it. It's possible it could corrupt the game later down the road, so lo and behold, you roll into chapter 5 and you can't equip any armour, your party might be either going neked or restarting without the "patch".

Sounds good to me. I've never seen/tried that one before. Extremist would know more about this kind of thing, but I'm not sure if he's MIA or KIA or SPCA or what.

3. Khazraj Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

What that patch is is in fact just a list of all the items in the game that are not allowed to be worn together. If you delete all the items in the list then all items can be worn together. At least this is how it worked with the BG2 version of the file. Open it up and delete all but one item, the most crap one there is and it should allow you to wear what you like. In theory this works...

4. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

What the?

That doesn't sound like it would work. Item incompatibilities are part of hundreds of different files. Unless it's something that edits once you remove from the list.

If that's just a text document or something, then it won't work.

5. Fortain Gems: 2/31

Thanks for all the tips so far. The file's called ITEMEXCL.2DA, and is simply placed in the Override folder. Since it comes in a .zip file, I just pop it in the folder, and it works (on BG). I had mainly wanted to see if there was one like it for IWD before try to use it. Since they all share the same engine, it'll prolly work, so I'll try it later. If it works, I'll post here - if not, I'll post anyway. :)

6. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Whoa.

That does sound seriously kind of sweet. I think I'll loadup IwD this weekend, and take a look at this one. If it's just a text file with a load of dependencies, that sounds like a universal kind of fix. Anything that can be edited with notepad is a helagood configuration setup.

7. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I´m sure I´ve been wearing multiple magic items at the same time in IWD. I think I unzipped the file you´re talking about into override in the IWD folder. I first thought I used a W-E for IWD, but I checked out the features of it and it doesn´t say anything about allowing this. So therefor it must be this file.

I´ll install IWD and test.

[EDIT]

Installed and tested and... It works like a charm :)
    My memory didn´t fail me this time.

[ November 27, 2003, 20:58: Message edited by: Duke Eltan ]

8. Fortain Gems: 2/31

Thanks much for testing it, Duke. I haven't had much time over the week to play IWD - too busy looking for a job. Also, thanks to all those who posted here. :thumb:

9. Khazraj Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Rastor. Sounds so simple doesn't it, but yes it's true. It is simply a list of all the item codes in the game that are not allowed to stack with other items. I mean, how else does it allow some and not others? It's not part of the items at all. Anyway, try it and enjoy. IWD2 is very different though, that is item and hard coding.

10. Otis Gems: 2/31

I know it's "cheating" in a certain sense, but when I played D&D, there were no restrictions on combining things.

Plus, you need some insanely low AC values to avoid getting hacked to pieces instantly in parts of this game... is it any less of a "cheat" to reroll a million times to make sure you get a high DEX (for AC bonus) along with your other prime stats?

I found a copy of ITEMEXCL.2DA at:

http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?showtopic=924&view=getnewpost

It's not for Icewind Dale specifically, but the format seems generic to the IE engine. I think if you strip all the items out of there except one as described it will work. Also, some other discussions I saw seemed to indicate that you could set the 1 following the item code to a 0, and that would also disable the combined-use restriction.

Because this list of item codes is from a different game, it's probably best to delete a lot of them.

I haven't tested this yet.

[ December 14, 2004, 16:58: Message edited by: Otis ]

11. Andyr Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

It would work if the filenames for the items in both games are the same, i.e. if RING03 or whatever was a Ring of Protection in both games.

If the items are different you might find you get weird combinations you can't use together.

But yes, stripping all the item filenames out of the .2DA file should work. :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.