1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Mousepads

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by chevalier, Jan 15, 2006.

1. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    OK, boys and girls, what do you use with high res optical mice? Glass? Gel? Metal?

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I use a standard old cheap mousepad.

3. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

None. Works perfect.

4. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

It works fine on anything, but for performance a nice smooth surface is a must. Glass is good, but obviously is rather fragile, and also can be uncomfortably cold. There are mousepads of similar texture, but more durable than glass. Have a look at Everglide Ricochet mousepads.

5. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Brite (tm) Mat made in the UK. It is smooth but has a non reflective surface.

However my experience is that the optical mice work with just about anything.

6. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I used the surface of my desk, until the cursor began skipping. I have a very nice metal pad with a blackish background and that spongey stuff that keeps things from sliding. Unfortunately, it's too big for the width of my desk. I'm using a cut down mouse pad from Staples ($2.99 CAD).

7. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Tempered glass. It ****ing rocks. It gets a bit difficult for precision moves, however. But then again I'm not a fan of FPS.

8. chevalier

Media:
    My desk is cut and dented and all, so the cursor moves in weird ways. Tried the window sill (polished glossy marble), there was no skipping and it was very precise, but the traction was tiring (with high speed and max acceleration, I still move my wrists around a lot and the distance between mouse and keyboard is too far) and I didn't like the smearing sound, plus it's cold and that's neither good for my wrists nor for the mouse. I've tried all my mousepads but only one sort of worked and by sort of I mean sort of, so it wasn't great. I can order a tempered glass one but I need precision because the units in Warcraft III are pretty small and I like focusing the fire or casting mean spells on enemy heroes at the beginning of combat, so I need to be both fast and precise. What about the jelly thing which is advertised as a must-have for optical mouse users?

9. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    The one I have is advertised for use with an Optical Mouse. I don't have the box so am not sure if it is gel. I think it is plastic but it works great. No skipping, no problems. Iirc it ran me about $10.USA. It is easy to keep clean which is important.

10. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    I use a standard black fabric on foam-rubber mousepad with a nice wrist cushion to prevent wrist strain. :thumb: The fabric is probably nylon, because it's super smooth, and lets my mouse glide over if effortlessly. :bigeyes:

If you're using an optical/laser mouse, you don't want something that's transperent (i.e. glass table, or a mirror), but rather something that's going to be trackable by the sensor, and comfortable for the user at the same time. :rolling:

11. Tap Dancing Oyster Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Veteran

I have a Razor Diamondback 1600dpi - which I found so sensitive it took me nearly 2 months to get used of it for playing fps games. It nearly went out the window on a few occasions.
    I use it on either my desk top which is veneered or an ice mat (glass) - which is good - but pretty cold, I use this when playing matches for precision - it does make a difference, but I have to warm my hands up afterwards at this time of year.
    Its sometimes better to turn off accelleration in Windows with some of the higher definition mice as it can make them almost uncontrollable.
    I did it by lowering the sensitivity in XP to the lowest setting (aparently this not only slows the mouse down but removes accelleration). Then increased my mouse speed to an acceptable level for in the games config. For Windows I use the software I got with the mouse.
    There is a way of permanently removing accelleration but it requires a registry change, I think.

12. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

Same here. You don't know how confy those wrist cushions are until you try them.

13. Newfie Banned

I have a Max Payne foam rubber mat. Wide for sideways movement. My laser mouse works great on it so why tamper with perfection.

14. chevalier

Media:
    I can override game settings with my driver settings, at least in theory (there seems to be some difference or maybe I don't need so much precision so fast in Windows) but I still need to discover my ideal settings. And it's not even close to 1200 dpi. Maybe 800 or 1200.

15. Brallrock Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Standard cloth over rubber-type stuff, cheap one form Walmart. I have a corded optical mouse and it works fine.

16. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    Corded optical mouse here, and a foam backed mousemat from Truprint. You can upload your own digital photo onto it

17. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    :lol: I went over to my friend's apartment today, and I couldn't help but notice his mousepad had a picture of some jap-animation chiuck on it, and it had two rounded "wrist coushions" centered perfectly of the cartoon's chest. :lol:

Up till now, I've never seen a mousepad that had boobs. :shake: :rolling:

18. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    I got a rather interesting gift not long ago. The mouse has got boobs instead of the 2 buttons, and the pad also has boobs instead of the wrist rest. And it's called "Sexy Mouse" on top of that :lol:

It's a lot of fun to look at, mainly because it's very cartoonish, but really not practical to use, as the boobs are too big, err, I mean the buttons are too high, and the pad is too small.

19. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    My camcorder manual, I don't see why I should change.

20. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

Nothin'. My cordless optical never skipped, but my new corded one skips every once in a while. I look at it as a higher difficulty setting for my games. ;)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.