1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

More RIIA Idiocy

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by chevalier, Jun 16, 2006.

1. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    It looks like you shouldn't share videos in which you're humming a song:

http://www.broadbandreports.com/shownews/75383

I tend to agree with the first comment posted there. :rolleyes:

2. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

:rolleyes:

I agree with most of the comments on the page ('specially the: **** RIAA!!! ones ;) ). I'm sure those people making home videos are trying to sell the video with the copyrighted music :rolleyes:

I like the comment about the birthday party... would the RIAA actually crackdown on a family who posted their kid's birthday party with the Happy Birthday song on it?

3. chevalier

Media:
    There are already problems with radio and TV sets at hair dresser's and in other such places because the music played there isn't intended for "public performance". :rolleyes:

Those greedy idiots can't see how their attitude estranges people and denies their crusade anything remotely similar to social support.

Damn, wouldn't be surprised if they started bitching about house parties with music on private licenses (plain CDs from the shop).

4. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

They're bitching about it already, they just aren't taking legal action... yet.

5. chevalier

Media:
    According to them, you should probably lock up in your room if you want to listen to the music. And you shouldn't make it too loud or your family or neighbours could overhear something. :rolleyes: You should probably scan your room for spying devices, too. :rolleyes:

Idiots... They are so lame they could encode MP3s... Oh wait, but that's illegal. :rolleyes:

6. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

I can see their point, since it is basically a copy of the music, even if that's not the intent. But they really need to chill on this. Taking such unpopular stands again and again and again...well, I suppose nothing's going to happen to them, but it's still a bit of a risk.

7. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

The morons strike again. One can wonder when the **** will they stop?

8. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

they are not morons. Those lawyers get paid by working, NOT by result.

9. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Hmm, this from the comments on that page:

That, I suspect, it quite true - let's face it, they can't actually stop piracy, and pissing people off by doing stuff like this is just going to push the idea that 'hey, the music industry sucks - **** them, I'll download my music'. They're doing a great job at proliferating piracy - it's like they want people to rebel against them...

Someone needs to come up with something better than copyright...

10. chevalier

Media:
    And let's not forget that proliferating piracy proliferates RIAA. No piracy no RIAA. Therefore the RIAA needs piracy.

Or at least prevent greedy idiots from thwarting fair use rights.

11. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Well, yeah - but I suspect there's another end to the spectrum, which is what the people pirating for moral reasons are aiming for -> so much piracy that the RIAA are ineffective and disappear because of it (probably along with the music industry...). Honestly, I think this way would be easier to reach than wiping out piracy, which is just not going to happen...

Whether I support this view or not I haven't yet decided ... though I can't say that it wouldn't be nice to see the whole music industry crash and burn...

At the least. I think we can and should do much better than that though

12. khaavern Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I find this hard to believe (that RIAA would actually go after people putting videos of themselves singing songs on the net). Of course, legally they have the right to do that... but that's just because they bought those laws.

Such ham-fisted actions have the potential to wake the sheep, make them aware of what's going on. And I don't think RIAA would want that.

Come on Felinoid, that's the best you can muster this time ? What happened to "that's illegal, and people who are doing it are breaking the law"? Don't tell us you are getting soft on pirates :p

13. Felinoid

Of course it's illegal; that's a given. But as I said (and you didn't quote), taking such unpopular stances again and again, regardless of their legal merit, could have negative consequences. Regardless of my support of what they're trying to do, making a big stink about it rather than quietly sending teams of lawyers is just a bad idea. "There is no such thing as bad publicity" doesn't take into account entities that do not need publicity, or would even be better off without it.

14. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    It will be a proud day when the RIAA collapses and artists have to earn their money the old fashioned way (playing in front of an audience).

/me goes put on his eyepatch and buys a parrot

15. Pseudospawn Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

@The Great Snook
    actually artists earn virtually nothing from record sales, the majority of their income is from touring.

16. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Arr, matey.

Seriously...

Neither would I. And like Taza, I believe it's just a matter of time. Stupid RIAA.

17. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    That's like saying if there were no crime, we wouldn't need a police force. While it is technically true, saying that the existance of the RIAA is proliferating piracy is a bit far-fetched. They exist because of piracy, they do not create or further the ends of piracy.

18. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

They don't try to create more piracy?

Just how much have you followed this issue? RIAA is either full of utter idiots, they're incredibly greedy or they're trying to increase piracy. Probably all three.

19. Felinoid

Because noone said that. Their existance does not proliferate piracy, their actions do. Doing such "idiotic" things over and over again sets the public against them, and proliferates piracy out of spite against their heavy-handedness. If the police force were similarly "idiotic", I guarantee you'd see a lot of citizen militias popping up.

20. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    This may be far fetched but the thought popped into my head.

Is singing a song (for free, just in fun) in front of an audience illegal?

If so I know tons of people who are potentially in trouble.

Copying and distributing songs without permission I can see as illegal. That is stealing.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.