1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Mordenkainen's sword - the best summoning?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by TIN_MAN, Sep 6, 2001.

1. TIN_MAN Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] Well I have experimented a bit with this spell, and I was more than impressed. This magical sword has so many great resistances that they can make it perhaps the best summoning! I mean; it is immune to anything but pure magical energy like magic missile. It is a perfect choice against fighters, because they can't harm it at all! AND! It is the ultimate weapon against mind flayers!
    I cheated and created five Ulitharids and let the sword attack them. They have massively bombarded the sword with psionic blast and psionic domination, but...no effect..heh..heh :D. This marvelous summ. must be immune to any charm spells. AND! It can be cast COMPLETELY UNSEEN(so the spell doesn't reveal the mage to the enemies) It also deals a good damage, though it attacks only once per round(that's what haste is for ;)). AND its THAC0 is getting better as the mage levels up! Its only weakness that it is wulnerable to the death spell.

So...I can say that Mordenkainen's sword is the best summon(not gate) spell! Any comments?

2. Maertyn

Maertyn There's nothing I cannot embrace! Veteran

[​IMG] When Mordenkainen's swords die, in some games they leave a "necklace" - in those (unpatched) games they are NOT immune to charme (bad programming, the sowrd can't activate the anti-charm function of the nacklace); but the sword should be uncharmable, you are right! UPDATE HERE

Being able to summon it while invisible was not intended!!! IT WONLY WORKS FOR MORDENKAINEN'S!!! Exploiting this is cheating! UPDATE HERE

3. Mirkwood Guest

Mordenkainens is good but has a few downsides... it is vulnerable to confusion and since the favourite pets of Mind Flayers are Umber Hulks it's likely to get confused and just stand around doing nothing, also it doesn't last very long (1 round/level).

I prefer the Skeleton Warrior... they have high magic resistance and are pretty tough melee fighters, although not as good as the sword, and stick around for a long time.

4. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

I think skeleton warriors are better as well, when reaching level 15 they become really nasty. Mordenkainens swords just can't hit anything later on (except for those flayers).

Though mixing them, as having the swords being attacked and the skeletons deal damage is great.

5. Laksol Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I think skeleton warriors have much more better use in SoA plus coming early also. :)

6. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

question: do the skeletons summoned increase in level as your cleric/mage does?

7. Laksol Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Answer: unlike npcs' leveling up, there are just two types of skeletons summoned: immature and mature. :)

8. TIN_MAN Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I also like skeleton warriors very mutch, but against the Mord.'s sword is better against the flayers having no intelligence at all. Skeleton warriors do have a 15-16 intelligence. It is written in the Monsters manual. Also, I tested the THAC0 of the skel.warriors and the Mord's swords(on Minsc heh..he.. :D), and I found that Mord's sword's THAC0 is better than the skeleton warriors.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.