1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Monk vs Kangaxx

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by nataben1314, Mar 3, 2006.

1. nataben1314 Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

So I'm soloing as a monk, right now in ch. 2 completing all the quests. I want to get the ring of gaxx, so I go to fight kangaxx, but I can't hurt him once he is in his demi-lich form. I'd rather not wait until I am level 25 (when my fists become +4 weapons) to hurt him, but I also cannot think of any weapons that are usable by monk, attainable in chapter 2, and able to hit kangaxx in his demi-lich form. Any ideas?

2. Jhonka

Jhonka This is the face of Justice Veteran

I can't remember whether or not Monks can use staves, (they should be able to even if they can't :p ) but if they can you could try using the Staff of Rynn +4. That's all I can think of that's available in Chapter 2.

3. nataben1314 Gems: 10/31

Monks cannot use staffs

4. Zamiel Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

The Scarlet Ninja-To, a magic sword usable by monks only, is sold by Joluv, the merchant with IWD items who hangs out at the Copper Coronet. But I believe it's only a +3 weapon...Kangaxx in demilich form can only be hit by +4 or better, eh? That's the only monk-friendly weapon of decent power I can think of. If you're not too opposed to modest weapon-hacking you could increase its magic value to +4.

5. nataben1314 Gems: 10/31

Well I don't want to cheat to make a weapon stronger... I suppose I shall just have to live without the ring until chapter 6.

6. Prine Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Kind of annoying that monks can't use staves... they can't wield any two-handed weapon, since their two-handed attack animations get co-opted for fancy karate stuff.

Anyway, go do Trademeet and get yourself the flame tongue, it's considered +4 for determining what it can hit. Decent bonuses vs undead, too.

7. nataben1314 Gems: 10/31

ahh thanks Prine...

Where in Trademeet can I find Flametongue? I have already completed the druid grove quest and the genie quest... so I hope finding it isn't dependant on those!

8. Prine Gems: 11/31

One of those hostile druids directly outside the grove carries it, along with the guy who has Gnasher. You might've sold it without thinking about it.

9. nataben1314 Gems: 10/31

Ya know I think what happened is since I talked to Cernd asap and he challenged and won, I never got to fight those guys :( oh well that's life I guess!

10. Gregor Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Hmm...I wouldn't have thought there was any way to avoid those guys if you're heading into the grove for a challenge. I mean, they're right on the doorstep, and I think they're there no matter what. Did you fight the bunch of druids in the center of the area? Maybe they're tied together somehow.

11. Prine Gems: 11/31

I think it is possible to avoid them; if you don't take Cernd in your party, you find him standing just a short distance ahead of the last wave of hostile druids. If you talk to him and have him challenge Faldorn right away, then the game warps you straight into the grove. I don't remember whether the gang of druids disappear after the challenge or just don't attack you, though.

I know next to nothing about Watcher's Keep, but can't you buy the Short Sword of Mask from one of the Helmites outside the Keep? That's +4.

12. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

:lol: Prine strikes again; I may be out of a job soon. :shake:

Yes, all the Shadow Druids disappear after Faldorn is defeated. I discovered this to my disappointment the third time I let Cernd do the challenge outside of my party (the first two times I explored the map fully before talking to Cernd), and ended up reloading to kick their a$$es first before I let Cernd warp us in to make the challenge.

And yes, the Short Sword of the Mask +4 is purchasable from the Helmite merchant at WK.

13. Gregor Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Interesting! I've never not taken Cernd and still had him do the challenge...I generally take him, have him challenge, do his baby daddy quest, and then ditch him. On the one or two occasions I didn't pick him up, Jaheira did the challenge. What happens if he DOES challenge and isn't in your party...is Faldorn there too, and they have their dialogue then, or does talking to him take you right into the grove, and you that's when you speak to her?

Anyway, back on topic (sorry): SSoM is indeed available from the chick atop WK...that WOULD solve your problem, Nat...if you can afford it (I think it's pretty damn expensive).

Edit: That's twice you've beaten my post, Fel!

14. Prine Gems: 11/31

Affording it shouldn't be much of a problem, in my last solo I had almost two hundred thousand gold by the end of chapter two. Could've just bought Brynnlaw and bulldozed the Asylum.

15. nataben1314 Gems: 10/31

Ahh you guys are a lifesaver thanks I shall make my way to the outside of the mighty keep at once and kangaxx shall be destroyed!!!

PS: Monks are awesome this guy is an insane killing machine... quivering palm = dead anything.

PPS: and indeed I have hoardes and hoardes of gold especially with the monk (no buying weapons or armor or helms)

16. starwalker Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Yep. Even with a monk in a party you end up with lots more money and equipment to spread around for what you don't use on the monk. It can be really nice.

17. nataben1314 Gems: 10/31

Well it seems that good ol' kangaxx has too much regeneration for a paltry short sword wielding monk. However... I just turned level 23 and I still have The Unseeing Eye and The Planar Prison to complete, as well as some stronghold stuff, so I should be able to destroy him with my fists o' fury before I head off for the Asylum.

edit in anticipation of the unseeing eye quest... are beholder rays affected by magic resistance?

18. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The gauntlets of crushing are +4 (found in the Sahaugin City). Don't they hit Kangaxx?

Otherwise:

Boneblade +4 dagger in the underdark.
    Flametongue is +4 vs undead in the druid grove (as mentioned earlier).
    Cutthroat +4 short sword in Bohdi's lair (chapter 6).

Unfortunately, all those options (except flametongue) are only good for chapter 6.

The scarlett ninja-to is only +3 (but a great weapon for a monk).

19. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

:shake: Um, no. The gauntlets are not actual weapons, just a weapon enhancer (like several other gauntlets). The actual weapon - your fist - is what determines enchantment. They are also in Chapter 5, so... *shrug*

20. Prine Gems: 11/31

They sure are.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.