1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Modem dropouts and other problems

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Lazy Bonzo, Apr 14, 2005.

1. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I am experiencing modem dropouts at infuriatingly regular intervals for no reason that I can discern. The modem (internal) worked on win98, same line and everything like that, and it was working well on win2k pro (which is what I'm using now) for some time (maybe 2 weeks since I upgraded and installed win2k). Now the modem either dropouts after between 1 and 5 minutes or, as it is doing this time, doesn't drop out at all (well I expect it will in say 4 or 5 hours but my ISP has been kicking my connection after that long since I've been with them so that's the normal state of affairs). Does anyone have any ideas of things to check?

Related to the modem is an increased amount of really stupid error messages for sites along the lines of 'www.google.com could not be found' which can happen when I try to go to the site [google and others which I know aren't down or incorrect names, happens on board's o' magick when I'm on the main index page, so I know the boards are up, and I try to go to a topic I'm informed that 'sorcerers.net can't be found'], when I use the search function (on opera and/or firefox) or when I'm on the site and try to refresh it or search again.

This is happening on firerfox, opera, netscape, and *shiver* IE. If one tells me the site is down, even if it's obviously not, then the others also tell me it's down.

Again does anyone have any ideas of the causes of this?

I've run some adaware, spyware and virus scans and removed what I found (only adaware and spyware, no viruses detected) but it hasn't improved the situation.

2. Arifirh Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Line noise could make the connection unstable - if you plug a phone into the socket you use for your modem and just listen to receiver, if there's any crackling or hissing you'll need to get the phone company involved, afaik.

You could try using a different modem, but it sounds more likely to be an issue with the ISP or phone line. If it isn't a WinModem (it really shouldn't be) then it won't be software. Try finding a different number (for the same service) to dial up with, or if you're on a flat rate try using an Xp/minute number.

It could sometimes be simply very heavy traffic on the ISP - Freeserve drops me if I'm on between 45mins and 1.5 hrs usually; I don't think I've ever been connected longer than 2.5 hrs. I also get the same 5 seconds or so of 'no response' from the modem every so often, where it acts disconnected and suddenly comes back to life. I think that's standard.

3. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Something pretty similar happens to me irregularly. I am on dial-up however.
    You really should check in your Task Manager if the connection really is working. The 2 computers icon should remain show both blank. This is why It cant find the sites.

I dont know why it happens but even though the computer says conected to the internet, that really isn't the case. This may even happen a few minutes after you have already been browsing. Disconnecting and connecting a few minutes later usually does the job.
    I haven't bothered trying to find a solution as it's still a rare occurance.

If you have Zone-Alarm it should tell you instantly whether there is any traffic on your computer or not.

4. Arifirh Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

@ Shrikant

Yeah, that's the sort of dead time I was referring to... I don't know if it's worse with some than others, but I only rarely need to disconnect altogether. It usually starts working after a few moments, never more than a minute. If I do need to redial then it usually disconnects for me :) (i.e. the connection fails utterly.) That normally follows a few moments of 'dead time'.

Even so it falls asleep like that pretty frequently.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.