1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Misery Index 2004

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Harbourboy, Nov 18, 2004.

1. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I note this story which is being reported in New Zealand today:

http://home.nzcity.co.nz/news/default.asp?id=45092

The general idea seems to be that the top five least miserable countries in the world this year are apparently:

1. Japan
    2. Norway
    3. Switzerland
    4. Netherlands
    5. New Zealand

Australia, Britain, and USA seem to come in around 14th place.

The rather flimsy criteria for this index are simply the level of inflation and unemployment in the country, but it's an interesting indication, nonetheless.

2. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

Different, the one in our local newspaper (The 10 best places to live) had Ireland in top place, the rest were European except Australia.
    In no particular order it also included:

Sweden (too dark during the winters)
    Norway (ditto)
    Luxemburg (too boring)
    Denmark
    Spain
    Italy

3. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I've always heard the US was the best place to live...but that may just be propaganda. :D

4. Arahar

Arahar Hmm, it's a dwarf. Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

not really it's a great place to live if you have any ambition whatsoever. you can do absolutely anthing in this country that you could possibly want to. hell theres a saying that "anybody can become president" is true just look at who we reelected.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2012
  5. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

For a few years, Canada was one of the best countries to live in. Then the Liberals took over and ruined the place...

6. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I'm about to get a little philosophical here but ...

In my experience, some of the most miserable, unhappy people I've ever met were those with money to burn. I can't put my finger on why, but I've seen or heard of some of them having problems like drug abuse, depression, and so on. Others, its easy to see a certain angst, rage even, in their facial expressions. "Money doesn't buy happiness", besides being cliched, seems apparently true in many cases.

To reduce misery to unemployment rates or GNP just seems ludicrous to me.

7. Arahar

Arahar Hmm, it's a dwarf. Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

*money doesn't buy happiness

but it will buy the best of friends :D

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2012
  8. angryguy Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Interesting that i should hear this a few days after hearing of a study. Obviously its not proof, but heres the idea-
    money DOES give you happiness.
    To a point, anyway. After £7,000 per year this disappears. Seems reasonable enough to me.

9. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Give me money, and I can guarantee you I'll be happy, even if you aren't! :lol:

10. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

With enough money, even if I'm not happy, I can get enough plastic surgery to make me look it. :D

11. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

It's not the money but what you do with it. The people who have the money but blow it on drugs and excesses don't have as much left when they sober up. But if they spend that money on goods that they enjoy, and find the right people to share them with, then they can still be happy with what they have.

Money only helps to get happiness when you know what you want...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.