1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Milosevic Dies

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Taluntain, Mar 11, 2006.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    link

A damn pity. It just gives the (ultra)nationalists another excuse to blame someone else other than their leader and themselves after he would have been found guilty. They couldn't trust Russia not to make him disappear once he's crossed their border, but at least they could have brought in the best doctors from elsewhere, or treated him in some Western country.

2. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

It really is a pity. The trial was a farce but it should have come to an end. Now I assume the process will stop, and the man will never be found guilty of his crimes. He will probably become a figurehead and a martyr for the ultranationalists. Hopefully that won't be way of development Serbia chooses since it will only end in misery for themselves.

3. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Yea -- I quite agree. So much for justice. :( He'll certainly become a martyr to his supporters, which is even worse.

4. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Worse for some, better for others. The fella is dead and that is all that matters. After six months no one will probably remember him.

5. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

If that only were true... The shadow he left will haunt the balkans for years to come. He caused more than enough damage in his lifetime and that damage will be remembered there for a long long time. You and I might forget but the people involved in those wars will not.

6. Mithrantir Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Sorry, but why do you say so much for justice?
    Even if he was found guilty (which he would), wouldn't he became also a martyr for his followers?

There are believers of Milosevic practise either way, and the trial did not hinder them from believing in the way he handled things.

Now he is dead and if there is a God (i believe there is) he will be judged by him and his judgement will be more swift and powerfull than any judgement we, as mankind, could ever make.

The only dark spot is that he died in a UN prison and the fact that the circumstances of his death are not quite clear yet, may rose bigger fuss about this than it should.

7. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    The guy was evil. No loss to the world.

8. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Mith -- the circumstances surrounding his death is what I was referring to when I said his supporters will revel in his martyrdom. And you're right -- he probably would have been a martyr either way -- this will just intsenify it though, I think.

9. Mithrantir Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I agree with you Spelly.
    But this fire is not starting by the followers of Milosevic only.
    It is being sparkled also, with the arrogant refusal of the ICTY head officers to release the body to be examined by Russian doctors.

This actions, make them look like they are trying to hide something.

And i believe they should give the body, so that some mouthes will shut up.

10. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Why the hell would they want to release the body so that Russian docters can examine it ? Do they think we are trying to hide something ? Excuse me, but i have more faith in docters in this part of the world, than those from Russia. And people here don't get killed, or poisoned in their prisoncells like if it was some friggin banana republic, it was his time to leave this life, that's it.

11. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Russians are the arrogant party if they think they have any right to examine his body. Just because they're sheltering his whole criminal family doesn't exactly give them more credibility (less, if anything). ICTY has actually allowed a panel of doctors (including some from Serbia) to be present for the autopsy, which is more than enough. If there was any truth to the poisoning claims, you can be sure the Serbian doctors will be the first to voice the allegations.

12. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

Wait, this guy is a former Serbian leader and the Russians are demanding the right to autopsy his body? :nuts: You'd think they'd just be happy he was dead. :shake:

13. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Looks like some conspiracy theories are going to be fanning the fires of his supposed martyrdom.

14. Hacken Slash

Hacken Slash OK... can you see me now?

Can anyone explain why, after four years, there was never a verdict reached in his trial?

15. Taluntain

Media:
    The trial was nearing the end. Milosevic gracefully exited it before it could end. I wouldn't be surprised if he'd cleverly masked his own suicide in an attempt to make it look like he was killed by someone else. This way his guilt was never officially proven in a trial, he gets to be a martyr, and doesn't have to spend his remaining life in prison. A win-win situation for him and his supporters, the way I see it.

16. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    So, the Dutch poisoned him? For shame!

Tee hee! It's nice that for once the US isn't at the center of a conspiracy theory ;)

He apparently had health problems though eh? So it's not much of a surprise.

What would be the effect if he had been poisoned? Obviously it would be a big scandal, but would it make much difference in the big picture?

17. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

That doesn't mean we won't still be blamed, though. :rolleyes: When the Dutch cartoons depicting Mohammed came out, Muslims burned the American flag and burned down a KFC. Some people have targetting problems... >_>

18. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Bad guy dead -- how can this be unfortunate?

19. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    There is nothing unfortunate about it. Preliminary results indicate that he died of a heart attack. Yeah - he was pretty young - I think it said he was 64 - but hey, hasn't everyone heard of someone that age or younger dying of a heart attack? Actually, I think this is the best thing that could have happened. It was clear that the trial was only a formality, and since he couldn't have been sentenced to death anyway, it would have meant he would have spent the rest of his life in custody. Which, ironicly enough, is exactly what happened anyway.

20. Taluntain

Media:
    link

It looks like he ended up assisting killing himself, if not being directly responsible for it.

And no, as pointed out earlier in this thread, this definitely isn't the best thing that could have happened. Short of being pardoned, it's the next worst possible outcome. Not being officially found guilty of anything gives his supporters (and Serbia is still full of them) all they need to make him into a martyr figure and deny that he ever committed any crimes whatsoever. Not that they haven't been doing this up till now, but with no official judgment passed, it'll just be that much easier for them to keep doing it.

Coupled with Milosevic's poisoning accusations, the majority of his supporters will believe that the West killed him no matter what the autopsy findings will be.

That's how he'll go down in Serbian consciousness; as a great patriotic leader who was falsely accused of crimes he never commited and that have never been proven, who was in the end assassinated by the Western governments because they were too afraid to wait out the trial.

The situation in Serbia has been hopeless for years, but this has probably sealed the country's fate for decades to come.

[ March 13, 2006, 21:32: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.