1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Military Service

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Sadistic Butcher, Apr 18, 2003.

1. Sadistic Butcher Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Hey, I'm quite certain I'll be joining a branch of the US military within four years or less. I honestly don't think I'm prepared to just go straight to college, nor do I want to. Overall, I think it's an opportunity that really don't want to pass up, I can picture myself when I'm 40 looking back and asking myself why I had never served my country.

Anyway, I'm appealing the veterans(or even people currently serving) of SP, be it in the US military or that of any nation. I'd simply like to know what your experience was like, and looking back if you thought it was a good decision.

I'm sure many people will post things such as it's suicide to join, why would you want to serve under "Dubya", ect. Your welcome to say whatever you want, but I've pretty much made up my mind...

Oh, I'm also interested in what branch you would recommend(if any), and what you did in order to get yourself physically and mentally prepared for basic training.

2. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] Be proud to serve your country! Good luck.

I come from a country where national service is still in place, although having emigrated at 15 to the UK I was never called back to do it.

I thought about going back specifically to do it, but in the 10 year gap 18-28 either education, personal relationships or work committments got in the way. I do regret it at times though. Oh well, too late now. I know I would have done military service with pride though, not because I have any ambition to learn how to kill people, but because I would have considered it an honour to serve my country.

:thumb: before all the "your mad, it's suicide etc" votes come in.

3. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I've never been the sort to serve my country in anything. The only point in this life is yourself and the thing you really believe in, be that a person, a general principle, or some great ideal (such as your country for example).

Anyway, I think the most common saying of it all is: you love it when you don't know it - you hate it down to almost committing suicide when you're there - you love it again when it's over, not least because it really is over. I've been in the Finnish army. Some might say it's nothing compared to the US, and when it comes to the US special forces, they're right. But it shouldn't be overlooked that the level of technology in the Finnish army is nonexistant compared to US. Which is nicely reflected in how much more physical it gets for us.

Anyway, the point of it is this. No-one can say what it is like in the army if they've not been there. It doesn't matter how old you were. It's an experience so extreme and so different from the regular life that you have to have been there to know what it is about. Not necessarily in a bad sense, of course, even if I think it all sucks in many things that could be fixed. But, if you've made your mind, then go there. And don't become a cook, or a driver, or some damn bicyckle fixer in an oiled jumpsuit somewhere. Become something that army is about. A common soldier, a militarypolice, or anything suchlike that is involved in the actual action. Then you'll receive the type of training to give you real insight of what war can be.

4. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Never get enough sleep. Food is bad (but you eat it up anyway). Camping in the snow. Shoot, polish weapon, shoot, polish weapon, shoot, polish weapon.

Walking, exercising, day and night.

Worst thing: Being on watch. Boring, boring, boring. Even worse: Being on watch on saturday and sunday.

Viking: I wasn't aware that the UK had a conscript-system. Are British conscripted to serve in the navy ? I always thought the had the stick-over-the-head-and-wake-up-on-the-ocean system and than you're in for rum, sodomy and the lash.

As far I know, Singapur has the most impressive army.

Edit: Oh, I forgot, I left as soon as possible, meaning in our country someones coming and asks:"Want to continue ?". NO, NO, NO, NO

Edit2: Never, never go to the infantry.

:cool: :thumb: That's what I did. Never, Never, Never Infantry.

[ April 18, 2003, 12:25: Message edited by: Yago ]

5. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

I was a conscript in the Greek army, but from the discussions I had with the professionals as well as from the things that I saw, I could tell you the following:

-Don't go to a mechanized or in maintainance company unless you like to do mechanical staff. Your hands will always be black and my experience tells me that at least in the Greek Army the professionals in these companies are the only ones who really work.
    -Think about the transfers (I'm not sure if this is the right word in English) especcialy when you have a family and think how this is going to affect your children.
    -If you want to earn more money go to peacekeeping missions.
    -Don't go if you cannot control your temper. One of the most difficult things in the army is that you have to obey people that you don't respect.

6. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I, too, served for a while as a constript, and I had no problem in accepting orders. It´s actually a bit comical of what some people get pissed off. Who cares how your officer in charge acts or speaks? After the 6 months you are free and he still has to rot in service. I found more annoying the 24h Big Brother, the compulsory church ceremonies, and the typical "your country this, country that." Bull****. That is part of the reason why I changed to communal service at our local university, the other part being the knowledge that this 'service' at least benefits me somewhat. Still, it was fun and challenging to be a constript; for a change I could do something else than sit in a class and study (being an pioner as I was).

7. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I've served it in my country and was offered a job (not because of my body but because of my computer skills) but I've rejected it. I had to serve my time because of such law, but I failed to find anything interesting in it.

Anyway, it wasn't bad or hard at all, but it was boring. Not to mention the great possibility of getting brainwashed in case you accept that your job is never think but just act as ordered.
    An example, they never put me as guard of buildings, base or anything. Although we were ordered not to shoot, I told my superior officer that I will shoot anyone who approaches. And I ment it. And he knew I'd do it and he knew it will be his responsibility. And he knew that I was able to skip guarding obligation by a simple thinking what to say or do.

Lord Sarevok, some people like the army some don't and some don't want to bother with even thinking about it. If you want to serve your country, really serve, my suggestion is that you go for something that you're the best in. Is it really the army? Perhaps. But how about singing or agriculture or car mechanics or surgery or something else?
    You see, when you're 40 and start asking yourself something, that won't be why you had never served your country. But why you had never tried this. And that.

8. Sprite Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I was in the Canadian army for three years, and I have stayed on the reserve list since then. If Canada, my favorite country, goes to war, it means the world to me that I've already put in the time and got the training to help defend it. Like you say, when I'm 40, I can look back and say I did what I could for my country. Besides the moral aspect, if you're an outdoorsy, physical person, then being in the army is the most fun you'll ever have in your life. Fresh air, travel, great friends you will never lose touch with, intense physical challenges, and blowing stuff up. What could be finer in life?!

It's not true, by the way, that support staff like mechanics don't see action. The trick is to avoid being posted to a support *unit*. Infantry units, artillery units, etc all have their own support staff and you get to go on all the same exercises and manoeuvres as they do. The only warning is, you get less sleep than the rest of them, because you have to be up before them getting their vehicles and weaponry ready for action. The famous PFC Lynch was a supply clerk (like me!) and she saw way more action than she wanted to...

If you haven't picked a branch yet, I totally recommend artillery. You haven't lived 'til you've fired a howitzer! ;) Engineering units are also really interesting: you build bridges, eliminate landmines, and sometimes you learn diving too.

The only caveat I have is that you should not go into the Army (or any of the wussy military branches like Air Force or Navy - :p ) with the expectation that it's a temporary measure. First of all, you might very well be killed, even if you don't go to war there are plenty of training accidents. Second, if you ever see action, even as a peacekeeper, you'll have to live with some gruesome memories for the rest of your life. Some people, even very strong men, are deeply traumatised by some of the things they've seen. And thirdly, once a soldier, always a soldier. Twenty years from now you could be settled down with a comfortable family and job, having forgotten all your military training, and you could get The Letter that says your country needs you again. It's a decision that affects the rest of your life, not your 3 years or so of service.

9. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Lord Sarevok I commend you for deciding to join the military. I will be joining the US Air Force in a few months.

As for recommendations on which branch to join, it all depends on what you want to get out of the military. Personally, the Air Force is right for me, since my life goals include becoming a major airline pilot.

When the time comes, go around to the recruiting offices for each of the braches and see what they can offer you. But most importantly, don't let them persuade you into joining their branch! When they start asking questions, tell them that you DO plan on joining the military, but you are currently just looking at what each branch can offer you. Also, try not to give them your address or your phone number, because once you do, the calls won't cease until you are officially in the military.

Well, I hope that helps. :rolling:

10. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

*whew*

Ex, things work a little different in the States. But of course, it's voluntary to "join". After that, though, you stay at the Company's pleasure. I wish we'd go to mandatory, though.

Sarevok:

Run. Unless you are extremely weak at pushups and situps, it's the running that's going to be tough. Don't just "jog"; run. Jog at first, if you need too. Marines run 3miles, everyone else goes 1.5. Times are based on age. That goes no matter which branch you get into, but it goes about double for the basic marine. Also, stretch out like crazy. Do Jean-Claude van Damme kind of stuff; believe it or not, it will help you out through basic training and later on in cramped quarters.

As for the "experience", take your pick.

The Air Force is about the closest to civilian life that you could ever hope for. It works a little different than any other branch, with promotions comming as due process if you're in the right place at the right time. It's also a bit tougher to get into, just in terms of turnover and test scores.

If you go Navy, and are assigned to a boat, you'll hit a lot of ports. They will, most likely, be the same ports each time out, and only for a few days at a time. It's also tough to change from west coast to east coast, so choose wisely when the time comes.

If you go Army (or Air Force), there is a chance you'll be stationed overseas. There are Naval bases overseas, but there's just not all that many people compared to the total. You'll get to know the country fairly well.

Marines are usually on ships or stationed in the US. There's a few stationed overseas, but the majority are in the States or on a boat.

Coast Guard is a bit like the Air Force, but you will be doing outrageous kind of ****. Little boats on heavy seas is TOTALLY un-cool. There's a lot of dismal days, with just a few that get really exciting. Also, you're basically guaranteed to stay in the States, if that's your thing.

There are exceptions to all the rules. Aircrew and submarines and linguists and McMurdo Sound and special forces, but they are the minority.

Have Fun!!

11. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] Yago, no, the UK gave up National Service in the early 60's I believe.

I moved to the UK from Norway when I was 15.

12. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I spent 10 mandatory months in the military and it was a waste of time. Complete and utter waste of time. No redeeming factor whatsoever.

One thing that people seem to just gloss over when they talk about the military, joining and being a soldier is that a soldier has only one task, two if you want to be generous. Those are to kill and to die. I mean everything everyone in the military does is aimed at killing another human being. It made me feel quesy, sure it was cool to play around with the weapons but when I thougth abuot the reasons for the training and the weapons I felt very uncomfortable. Therefore I kinda feel like anyone that goes into the military knowing what it is about seems to have a morbid interest in weapons and killing people. However not many seems to have open eyes, I dont know if that is a good or a bad thing though...

13. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Not completely Joacqin, but for the most part, yes.

The Army Corps of Engineers setup bridges. And repair dams. And construct make-shift airbases.

To further the ability to kill people, in the vast majority of times. There are other jobs, in there, which can go both ways. Sometimes they "kill", sometimes they save.

But you are correct. The function of the military is to kill. It's like a firearm. It can be used to hunt for protein; but it was originally used to prey on other humans.

It sucks being at the top of the food chain. I hate having to fight each other...

14. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Due to an unfortunate physical condition (I'm shaped like a reverse hourglass!) I have never joined the military, and I've never been asked. Unlike many on this board, though, I do believe in honor and virtue, so I respect you for your decision. My father served in WW2 and he said that while the war was on he was glad to join and fight for what he believed in, but once the war was over, though he did very well in military life, he decided that it was not conducive to family life, so he quit.

I myself, even if I were not shaped like a potato, would not enjoy the military, as the constant rules and orders would be difficult for my chaotic good nature to endure. But I believe that a lot of good can come from that sort of discipline, if you can handle it and try to learn from it.

15. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    EJSmith, isn't there a faction of the Corps that's responsible for figuring out how to destroy siad items, or take them without destruction? Or does the military not bother with the efficiency of civil destruction (think implosion of the Kingdome, from a few years back) and just goes for the big crater?

Reminds me of the joke about two students who were trying to figure out which branches of engineering to major in. One chose civil engineering because he liked the idea of building things that would last. The other chose mechanical because she liked the challenge of figuring out how to destroy something that was built to last... :roll:

16. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Wilfred Owen

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.