1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Michael Jackson and Pedophiles

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Register, Apr 16, 2004.

1. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Well, here's the questions: How come that most people(of the ones I've talked to) that thinks that pedophiles should be castrated or even killed for their crimes say things like; "Heh, Michael Jackson will sure deserve a couple of years in prison if he's guilty."

I don't know if it is the same for you, but almost all the time I discuss this with people, they say the same thing. Why? Is it because he's famous?

Disclaimer: This is an asumtation that Jackson is guilty.

2. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    No matter who they are, I think people should treat everybody the same. Kill them, castrate them, incarcerate them. One rule for them all I say. I think the conflict comes because people like his music, and many might have his albums. As such, he isn't the nameless pervert in a mac standing around a kid's park. It's easier to hate somebody if you don't know who they are.

3. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Hang them.

4. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

ever heard of not guilty until proven ? Just because some people claim stuff, you can't go and hang a guy. We stopped doing that ever since the Dark Ages. Let a judge decide wheter he's guilty or not.

5. Shazamdude Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Keep in mind there was the disclaimer that we're assuming he's guilty (which is wrong, but just for the sake of conversation).

Actually, the worst thing you can do to pedophiles is put them in prison. The guys ther have a tendency to sort of sort pedophiles out. Ever see Oz? ;)

6. RuneQuester Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Er, no. But I HAVE heard of 'Innocent until proven guilty'.

Actually we kept doing it right through the latter part of the twentieth century(less and less so but still...)!

Er...surely you mean JURY, not judge.

7. Register Gems: 29/31

Well, I don't want to put pedophiles in prison, I want to put them on a long-term rehabilitation. Prion serves no good at all, they only take existing problems and makes them worse. Put a rapist in prison: Guess what he is gonna do, you got it right: rape!! Put a robber in prion: Gues what he is gonna do, you got it right again: rob!!

And yes, I have seen Oz. I have also seen Bad Girls and Prisoner, tow other prison-shows, but I don't support my statements with information I got from them.

8. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31

Rehabilitation? Are you mad?

9. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

No he is not mad, he just agrees with EU on our punishment policy. Which is that the point of prisons is not to punish the prisoners it is to rehabilitate the prisoners to the society and get them to think about their deeds and feel regret (which I would say most of the prisoners feel).

If we talk about protecting our society then there are mental institutions where such cases are put and atleast here in Finland they stay there until they are healthy and so are no risk to the society.

EDIT: Weee 100:th post, and a new beutyful gem too. :D

10. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31

You cannot rehabilitate a paedophile

11. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Ah yes, here we have an expert on the subject, I am sure. :rolleyes:

12. Register Gems: 29/31

Sarevok, putting people in hot, sweaty cells and letting them rape eachothers is not a way to stop them from continue with their crimes when they get out. Giving them a healthy living in "jail" and learning them how to get back into society is a good way.

Could anyone give me a website with statistics on prisoners who "fall back" in different countries, because I am sure that the number is much lower in Sweden or any other rehabilitation nation than in USA or any other 'cruel and unusual( :p ) punishment' country.

13. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Caleb, the idea is very nice but the truth is that there isnt a good way to deal with the problem of criminals. Just punishing them only serves to make them worse, rehabilitating perhaps works better than one sided punishment but it is by no means a perfect way. I have worked with many pedophiles for example and the best treatments currently in existance has a 33% fallback rate. That is not acceptable. We can debate all we want what to do with the "scum" of our society but the end result still is that whatever we do it is sure to be crap.

14. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

The punishment for crime should also be a preventative for further offending. I.e. cut a thief's hands off, cut a slanderer's tounge out, cut a pedophile's... you get the idea.

But rehab. is good too. However repeat offenders should most definately be punished. Isn't punishment a form of rehabilitation too? "If you do this, THIS will happen to you. Didn't like that did you? Well don't do what you did and it won't happen again."

15. Sojourner Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

The Catholic Church in America certainly believed they could. The results are very public. :mad:

16. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31

You cannot rehabilitate paedophiles. You can say it all you want but let’s say your little sister gets sexually abused tomorrow by a paedophile, would you still think they should be rehabilitated and let back into society to **** up more innocent children’s lives before they have even began? I think not.

17. Darkwolf Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

The Catholic Church has protected many of these mentally ill people, and it inevitably is resulting in more children being hurt. I have no problem with trying to re-habilitate non-violent child molesters, but just like an alcoholic, they can never, ever, be trusted. They should have to wear that badge for the rest of their lives (i.e., public documentation as to where they live and work).

For those violent to children, well, prison inmates have ways of taking care of those who sexually abuse children. :jawdrop:

18. Dorion Blackstar Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Darkwolf all sex offenders are listed.I can't recall the sight offhand but you can find out if there are any offenders livving in your town whenever you want.

19. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Here in MA you can only find out about certain levels of sex offenders and you have to go to the police department to find out. Our courts have been grappling with this issue for years.

20. Darkwolf Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Dorion,

I didn't say they weren't. As a matter of fact, before I bought my house, I checked the registry in my state. The only problem is, like all things the gov't oversees, the lists are outdated and inacurate. :(

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.