1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Message Says: Adventurers Mart is Restocked Once During the Game. Check Back Later.

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by kasio, May 8, 2001.

1. kasio Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

When Saving/Loading game message says: Adventurers Mart is restocked once during the game back later.
    When exactly is this "later"? Is there any trigger for that? Or should i buy AM out of stock?

2. IronEagle Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Later is LONG after you you have gone through the chapters of the game, almost the last chapter, you will know it when ya get there.

3. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    I thinkt that´s almost too late for you´d need it when you goo to underdark. And after going there, you will have found so many cool stuff that you can get along with it quite well for the rest of the game ...

Just like this neat elven stuff in Sulandessalar ... you simply don´t need it for the final fights.

4. kasio Gems: 7/31

But maybe when you import your char in NWN your equipment will remain?

BTW what was exp cap in BG1?

[This message has been edited by kasio (edited May 08, 2001).]

5. Igneous Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

The exp cap in Bg1 is the amount of exp you begin with in Bg2. As far as I can remember that is 89.000. Always thought that was not enough... But if you have played Tales of the Sword Coast, you can get to 161.000 I believe.

6. TIN_MAN Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] It will be restocked, after you leave the Underdark with your party. Though the items in it are mostly worse than your gear when you leave the Underdark. I never bought anything from the Adventurer's Markt speacial items. They're shit, I say(mostly)

[This message has been edited by TIN_MAN (edited May 08, 2001).]

7. Lareth Amunjo Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

There are some items you should buy. Especially protecton from magic scrolls. They make demi-Lich quite easy...

8. kasio Gems: 7/31

89K??????
    Cant be so little!!! For dual classed character it would be... 4th/4th level!!!
    You mean 890K maybe?
    Because it just dishonest:
    A guy takes his party through BG1, practices, gains exp, wastes time... Imports a character and gets the same if he would just created new char!
    Cant beleive this. This is stupid.
    Right would be:
    n - exp you start with in BG 2
    n*1.4 - exp cap in BG 1
    In such case dedicated players would have a rightful advantage. (They would be tougher in the beginning but not enough to mess a balance)

Eg BG2 experience cap is about 2.9 mln. so according to Kasios rule your NEW character should start NWN with experience of 2.07 mln.
    BUT if you imported your BG2 char you would start with 2.9.
    Thats a pleasant (not balance breaking i asure you) reward for playing BG2.

9. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

BG1 cap was 89000. Reason I think was to level out mages before they became too powerfull. (90k for next level).

The cap itself is not a problem as it is merely a matter of game balance.

Sure, can't cast high level spells, but TBH I think Fireball and Haste takes care of most of your needs.

10. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] BG - cap at 89k
    BG+TOSC - cap at 161k

As for NWN, the XP logically won't transfer. It's silly how literally people take that marketing stunt. Importing any sort of character from BG2 or BG to NWN will look the same (or 95% same) as creating a new one. NWN is a 3rd edition game, so all the rules are different. All stats are different. There are no kits.

I hope people will start thinking about this, because everyone still seems to think that they'll just import their über-buffed BG2 chars and start Diablo in NWN. Tough luck.

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited May 08, 2001).]

11. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

This post started with the adventures mart and ended with transferring characters to NWN. Interesting....

The crimson chain is well enough for a barbarian.
    By the way. Ribald Barteman is a poor businessman. Never keep your supplies hidden. :)
    He wont get it sold now....

And To the NWN-toppic.
    There is no logic in the hearts of humans.
    We love our characters and it is a great satisfaction to get our characters with us in NWN, no matter how insignificant the difference is between them, and a brand new character from the PC-factory-engine

12. cathon Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I imagine importing characters, if it is implemented, will be:
    Taking your character's base stats (they are still the same stat types and on a similar scale, except for the fighter exceptional strength is gone) and allowing you the possibility of adding points to them based on your character level.
    Dropping kits and dividing up your experience based on how much in each type (48,000 points in fighter, 60,000 in mage, etc.) and determining your class levels based on this.

Then take these and create a 3rd Edition character out of them. Basically keeping names, stats, portraits and approximate levels and redoing the rest. It is possible they could convert items, or other things, but I would guess they will consider that more trouble than it is worth.

MHO,
    Cathon

13. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    NWN is a new game built for 1st level characters. Your experience will not transfer.

14. kasio Gems: 7/31

Blackthrone - how do you know this? Just made it up because this seems logcal to you???
    Youre not right i am afraid.
    1st. if they didnt even think of implementing importing - they DEFINITELY would not DECLARE it in save/load message (which you read about 100 times during the game!!)! I dont think thats a marketing trick. This is a serious promise. If theyd just oce posted one sentence in their web page: "well we think importing will be implemented", i d rather agree with your logics. But now - not a chance. Want to make a bet?
    2nd. About 3rd edition rules... Who cares. Technically it is possible to import Diablo chars in BG, or Fallout chars in BG.

PS I repeat myself: I think dedicated players deserve a pleasant advante for playing BG2 when they start NWN. How exactly it should look to my mind - read above.

PPS And i think game would loose another 40% (1st 40% it lost when they canceled freely explorable world map) of its flexibility and freedom if they didnt allow importing.

15. Ezmer Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

They will probally let you imports your character and stats. Maybe some items too. I am certain you will start out at lev 1 however. The advantage to this is that they will "probally" let you keeo your high stats if you got the tomes from BG1. They will probally implement a way of disqualifying any hacked cahracters.

16. kasio Gems: 7/31

Is it an assumption or you know more than you are telling?

17. Ezmer Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I read somewhere, probally planetbauldergate, that a programmer said that you would start at lvl one.

Since I can't remember where i read it its pretty worthless.

18. Nobleman Gems: 27/31

[​IMG] I find it disturbing how Taluntain & Blackthorne TA can be misunderstood in his conversation.

As I read theese messages I find
    One: Yes You can import Your character to NWN
    (but that message that pops up a 100 times during a game doesn't say that the following is false.Hey Bob! welcome to the sleasy commercial world)

two: Your character will loose all his xp.

19. kasio Gems: 7/31

Whats the sense of imporing then?
    I dont believe you neither. Developers cant screw their faithful players! They CANT!!! I dont BELIEVE IT!!!! Lots of people play BG1 and BG2 just to import character in NWN when it comes out!!!!!! I dont BELIEVE exp will not transfer!!! NO!

20. Big B Gems: 27/31

Search your feelings you know it to be true...
    First of all, I have read it countless times, you should check out the news updates on the front page, you might learn something.

But I will give you the official thing...
    http://www.neverwinternights.com/about.html

Under the "Player Character" section, #3.16
    There's your proof :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.