1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Message Posting 101

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Darien Noella, Apr 19, 2001.

1. Darien Noella Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

[​IMG] Ok, it seems a few, make that a LOT of you are having a few problems posting messages. Now, before I start, I'd like to point out that most if not all of your questions can be answered simply enough. Just READ THE FAQ!! http://www.sorcerers.net/ubb/faq.html

It's right up in the top right corner with a few other handy features like your Profile, Preferences, and Hey! Look at that a SEARCH engine!! :eek:

Onward... A lot of you seem to have overlooked the handy little Edit feature. Take a peek at the top of your post, just to the right of the date. You see those cute little icons? USE THEM! The little head is a quickview of your profile, also viewable to other users. The little envelope (which may or may not be there, depending on your Preferences) is a link you your email. The next icon, the little paper and pen, is... You guess yet? The EDIT button!! Click it. Use it. Remember it. Any questions? Then go read the FAQ, that's what it's there for! :p

Next Lesson: Sig Pics. Stay tuned.

[This message has been edited by Darien Noella (edited April 19, 2001).]

2. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Oh please god no signature pics. */me envision a horrid blue wave of newbies flooding over the horizions, each holding his signature pic above his head as they swarm about his knees*

3. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] hehe, I guess we can consider ourselves forewarned for spamming, not that I do ;)

4. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Signature pictures? Please, NO!

The posts should be clean for colorus, animations, pictures and all other stuff that makes them difficult to read. I assume that if there were signature pictures here, most of them would be ugly and/or not serious. They would draw the quality of these boards down.

5. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] Hrmm. yeah, you got a point there dude, the FF board I uised to go to got screwed up by those things too...

6. Wingfoot Guest

[​IMG] agreed. no sig pics! but hey thats just my opinion and i doubt that really matters anyway. but i really believe that sig pics would ruin these fine forums.

7. Grovflab Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Hey, the Sorcerer hates signatures, so why the hell is he going to include signature pictures?

8. Igneous Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] Hehe, easy guys, we only gonna get a LESSON about signature pics ;) I'm wondering what Darien has to say about them. Thanks for enlighten us newbies on the posting policy, we'll be waiting for more wisdom!!

9. Darien Noella Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Lesson Two: Sig Pics

First I'd like to recognize Igneous as the only one who actually READ what I mentioned, and didn't jump to some silly conclusion. Good work! *gives Igneous a smiley face on his homework* :)

Now, about signatures. Here's a short quote from one of our newest posters, which seems to have popped up again and again.

Gormenghast: "Hello i am new to this board and i was wandering how to make my signature work but i cant get it to."

Again, for the particulars, you can read the FAQ, but for our purposes, I'll give you a short hint... Look around you. Check out the posts above yours. (Btw, you might try actually READING them while you're at it to avoid repeating the same info. that's already been posted by 3 different people!) Notice anything? THERE ARE NO SIG PICS!!

There are several reasons for this.

1) Too many pics takes too long to load and annoys those with slower connections.
    2) They take up too much space, making the page longer than necessary and a pain to scroll down.
    3) They interrupt the flow of the conversation with meaningless tag phrases, and unrelated subject matter.
    4) They LOOK horrible. The boards have a great color scheme, and with the latest addition of the avatars, they are rather pleasant to look at. Introducing sigs in a multitude of unrelated sizes and colors would be a travesty.

And now the very most important reason of all, one that all of you need to remember above all else:

5) Because TALUNTAIN SAYS SO!! This is his Place, thus his decision. It has been made, and will not be changed. Got any complaints? File 'em. I'll burn 'em later. :p

Next Lesson: Search

On second thought, forget it. Find it yourself. :p

[This message has been edited by Darien Noella (edited April 20, 2001).]

10. BogiTheWaverer Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

[​IMG] Speaking for the hundreds of smart members which carefully read your post, thought their part and did not reply:

We also want a transferpic!
    But don't ask us where to put it. :D

11. hooligan_inc Guest

hahahahahaha!!

"this is a PG-13 board."

heeheehee

12. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Hmm, looks like my signature pic preference and coresponding image (a rather humerous one if one were to ask me) started something. Incidently, I DID read your post and I KNOW Tal wouldn't put them on these boards, but should that realy keep me from expressing my opinion on them. I had a humerous image in my head and I wanted to express it. Has everyone become that paranoid about spammers? I apologize if I interrupted your lesson, but I don't think I was out or line nor do I think anyone should question my reading or not reading of posts. Come on. I read every post before I reply. You should know that by now ;)

13. GONMAR Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

This board is soooo much nicer than others I've visited using the same kind of format. WHY?...NO sigs!!! Also thank you for the run-down on how things work. You are always very helpful...darien

[This message has been edited by GONMAR (edited April 23, 2001).]

14. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Wow! I just gained a major appreciation for the work that goes into this page. A search I just performed sent me to another message board. I tried to read through it, and couldn't bear to look at it for more than 2 minutes.
    There were little "cute sayings" after everyone's name;
    There were posts of just a line of smilies;
    and
    There was me closing the page as quickly as possible to get back to the safe and sane confines of the Sorcerer's Place!

Keep up the good work -- PLEASE!

15. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] I agree. These boards are truly awesome. Have never seen anyone like these.

16. Gormenghast Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

ok thanks for the information! i ll go and read the faq

17. Bateluer Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

These boards are nice, clean and very professional, keep them that way. Thats all I have to say right now.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.